cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASW enabled today!!!

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-closer-look/
I'm still waiting for the update to come through but the good times are almost here. Also "First Contact" is to be released with Touch, it looks nifty.

edit: pls delete my thread
I was beaten by 1 minute - https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/44845/oculus-blog-a-closer-look-at-oculus-avatars-ocu...

125 REPLIES 125

kevink808
Superstar
This seems like it's only to lower the cost of entry by allowing lower spec hardware to run. I would think most of us here are here because we already have high-spec systems.  I guess it's good for everyone else who hasn't been able to afford Rift yet and want one.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@kevink808 that's definitely the main focus but it can also help those of us with a 970(like myself) who need that extra boost to play games like Obduction that have a 980 min spec 🙂

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

kevink808 said:

This seems like it's only to lower the cost of entry by allowing lower spec hardware to run. I would think most of us here are here because we already have high-spec systems.  I guess it's good for everyone else who hasn't been able to afford Rift yet and want one.

If you have high end hardware, you can crank settings namely pixel density and ASW will pick up the slack. Even a 1080 isn't good enough to keep 90fps with 2.0 pixel density in  most cases.

kevink808
Superstar

If you have high end hardware, you can crank settings namely pixel density and ASW will pick up the slack. Even a 1080 isn't good enough to keep 90fps with 2.0 pixel density in  most cases.

Oh that's good to know.  Is it a native setting by default or something we have to enable? Just wondering if simulated 90 fps is worth it for pixel density.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
It is very worth it, if you can't keep 90fps. The blurriness of most games is mitigated to a fairly large degree with pixel density.

Greyman
Superstar
So when does it land then?  

Does the "released today" message, as ever, just apply to those of you that are in the US or can we lesser mortals, from the rest of the world, expect to see it sometime also?  

As it is now already tomorrow, i guess that yesterday's today might be a bit of a tall order.   🙂

kevink808
Superstar

It is very worth it, if you can't keep 90fps. The blurriness of most games is mitigated to a fairly large degree with pixel density.

I guess it's not for me then. My visuals have been buttery smooth in every app so far and I max the settings. My specs are:

CyberPowerPC, Gamer Panzer Liquid Cooled Desktop
MSI Z170A PC Mate
Intel 6th Gen i7-6700K
32GB DDR4 SDRAM, 3000 Mhz
240GB SSD and 2TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
Windows 10 Pro.
 Maybe I haven't tried the most demanding games or something. But I'm glad this is great for everyone else.

Fredd32
Adventurer
Has anyone here updated to 1.10? I've yet to here any reports of confirmed 1.10 and asw support.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

kevink808 said:

I guess it's not for me then. My visuals have been buttery smooth in every app so far and I max the settings. My specs are:

CyberPowerPC, Gamer Panzer Liquid Cooled Desktop
MSI Z170A PC Mate
Intel 6th Gen i7-6700K
32GB DDR4 SDRAM, 3000 Mhz
240GB SSD and 2TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
Windows 10 Pro.
 Maybe I haven't tried the most demanding games or something. But I'm glad this is great for everyone else.

Not sure what you mean when you blow it off. You don't give a reason why it's " not for you".  I'd rather have a clearer, more crisp image than a blurrier one. Youd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 90fps and 45fps w. ASW in most usage cases.  Take Obduction for example.  the difference between 1.0 and 1.5 pixel density is huge, and so is 1.5 to 2.0. Without ASW you can pretty much forget anything past 1.3 or so as you drop below 90fps on even a 1080 on epic settings.

Any scenario really, where you would want to crank settings but you would drop below 90fps, if even occasionally...it is " for you". I have a 1080 too. It is " for you" lol.

I'd go so far as to say in most games you cant keep 90fps cranking pixel density. It does more for image quality than any other setting as the resolution of the Rift ( and the Vive) is so low.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

Fredd32 said:

Has anyone here updated to 1.10? I've yet to here any reports of confirmed 1.10 and asw support.

Ya I got it a hour ago. I think it's rolling out in time zones or parts of the map. not sure. There was the odd person reporting getting it a few hours ago, most saying not yet.