cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

schrumpelrat
Honored Guest
first of english is not my native language and i'm not great with it, so please excuse bad grammar etc.

i have a problem with my rift. since it came to me i have trouble to play for more than a couple minutes or not even seconds before it loses the hdmi connection.
i tried several steps to fix this issue:

connect hdmi direct to the gpu port
connect hdmi through a front connection in my card reader
connect through a dvi to hdmi connector, a passive displayport to hdmi connector and an active displayport to hdmi connector

i also tried to refit the cable in the rift. i connected the rift to the usb 3 ports of my motherboard and on the port of my add on card. i also tried one usb 3 on the mb and one on the add on card and switch them vice versa.
i disabled the energy savings options on all usb ports, the rift sensor and the gpu.
i also tried different usb and gpu drivers (older ones as well as the current ones)

my specs:
intel i7 4790k
msi gd65 z87 gaming
palit gamerock 1080 (had the same issues on my palit 980ti, but my 1080 came short after my rift and i was thinking the 980ti had a incompatible hdmi port)
32gb ddr3 2133mhz
windows 10 pro 64bit
fresco logic fl1100 usb 3 pcie card

current installed gpu driver is 368.51, for usb 3 it is 10.0.10586.212 for the fresco card and the default windows driver for the intel usb 3 on the motherboard.

i also restart my pc after every fix attempt just to be sure everything is in the right place. 

i hope someone can help me to get in vr already ;_;

i added also the recommended logs. 
197 REPLIES 197

SCDarky
Honored Guest
I've been having no luck running the Rift since I got it at launch (HDMI not detected). It used to work sometimes when replugging the USB or the HDMI, but never reliably. I contacted them a little while later (I kept trying and hoping it gets better, believing it was a software problem) and ended up getting a HDMI Cable replacement, but unfortunately that didn't do the trick either. Replugging and changing slots does nothing. Now a month later I'm trying to follow up on it and see what we can still do. It's honestly very depressing for me, I've pre-ordered the thing full of happiness right away and Hobby-like developed stuff on it but I had to stop doing that since it doesn't work properly. I feel heartbroken honestly. It's just not how i saw this going. I still pre-ordered the Touch in the hopes Oculus helps me to get the Rift to run.

How did you guys get a replacement unit? They seem to work for you.

Fiege
Expert Protege
...by contacring support, describing the issue and if you can reproducability as precisely as possible as well as attaching log files. You'll probably have to show a bit of patience, since things take a while, but once analysis is done and they'll tell you to return the broken device, it'll be pretty fast.

All in all I had a really good customer support experience.

scoda06
Honored Guest

DNACowboy's fix steps above allowed me to go back into iracing and I am now able to adjust (squeeze) the headset without the disconnect  issue... Its a first! Was never able to adjust headset on face before following each step as advised.. Thanks very much!

Hopefully the issue doesnt return.. Not holding my breath yet.. So much for oculus coming up with solution other than replacing cables and asking for log files and then replacing headsets... what a joke...

SCDarky
Honored Guest
OK now I got my Rift working flawlessly for the first time, at least for now. I connected the HMD to a USB2 port instead of USB3 or USB3 Hub. It now seems to be detected every time. Mind you this is with the replacement cable they sent me. The same USB2
slot did not work before on the old cable, so I didn't retry it until after I got in touch with support again.

I'll report if it stops working again I have to try more games and my Unity projects more in detail, but several restarts and quick tries later it still is detected and working just fine.

cgwilson
Honored Guest
Hi, I am having issues with my headset - the computer keeps telling me, after about 10 minutes of gameplay, that the headset is not plugged in. Happening all the time now. I have checked all my drivers are up to date etc but now I wish I had bought a HTC  one instead

cgwilson
Honored Guest

Any suggestions customer support? Seems like this is a common issue so why no fix yet?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you checked the wire connection on the HMD side? You'll need to pull out the facial interface and look on the left side.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

AkAseo
Protege
This is fairly rampant and can appear even after all USB/power management/driver fixes etc, the fact it is reproducible and occurs when gently handling/adjusting rift in use seems to point to faulty hardware. I can use my rift for hours with no issue as long as I do not touch it/adjust it, as soon as I do, hdmi disconnects. A reminder if you live in U.K. like me you are protected by consumer rights act 2015 and the vendor must replace, if less than 6 months old the fault is deemed to have been present since purchase by default, so no need to wait on Oculus RMA process, do not let your vendor palm you off.

CrispyRH
Honored Guest
I have had HDMI problem for a while. Most of the time it just doesn't connect, and on occasions the disconnection could happen while gaming.  

Initially by re-plugging the HDMI port on the graphic card could solve the issue. I then ran out of luck with this. 

Later I had some luck by updating video driver etc, sometimes by rolling back to older versions and sometime by re-installing the current up-to-date version.  This worked 2-3 times in total. 

Today, all those methods failed. I was very frustrated. 

I then learned that I can remove the foam on the HMD, and disconnect the HDMI plug that is previously behind the foam.  After plugging it back in again, it worked. 

It worked. 

My conclusion: updating drivers will help, but is not essential. The whole issue is a stupid cable issue.  The cable would go bad gradually, manifesting in a 'software' type issue in the beginning, but is still essentially a physical connection issue.  

shim2
Adventurer
This is so fucking frustrating. Oculus doesn't respond to support tickets. I'm sitting here, literally a week later with no response other than "We'll get back to you" I know/knew Oculus support was shit, but come on. It should never, ever take a week to respond to a damn support ticket. Meanwhile over on Reddit there are posts where Support is responding to questions about Touch like that is actually important.

Oculus, you guys are shit. So fucking shit. But it's not like you actually care. So that's nice.