cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASW enabled today!!!

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-closer-look/
I'm still waiting for the update to come through but the good times are almost here. Also "First Contact" is to be released with Touch, it looks nifty.

edit: pls delete my thread
I was beaten by 1 minute - https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/44845/oculus-blog-a-closer-look-at-oculus-avatars-ocu...

125 REPLIES 125

Anonymous
Not applicable
Right now if you update, there might be a problem with a few apps not allowing tracking from the back side. It seems to be related to the apps more than the update, but it is related with the update as well.

firebane
Protege

Mradr said:

Applecorp said:

Yeah still no update either.

The roll out does seem rather slow, apparently so if there are issues then not everyone is effected, but that sounds ridiculous. Why not test it fully before releasing it at all.

I guess you don't track bug reports or program much. The basic break down is there are already some bugs being found that are kind of bad news bears with some things already.

You can't test "fully" as everyone has different hardware, software, and other things that cause some random problems. You have to "test" slowly to notice them as someone has to report it as well.

This isn't an entire OS like Windows though.  No other program on my PC does a rollout this slow.  Besides, you'd think they'd mention that in the PR release about the new version now being available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

firebane said:

Mradr said:

Applecorp said:

Yeah still no update either.

The roll out does seem rather slow, apparently so if there are issues then not everyone is effected, but that sounds ridiculous. Why not test it fully before releasing it at all.

I guess you don't track bug reports or program much. The basic break down is there are already some bugs being found that are kind of bad news bears with some things already.

You can't test "fully" as everyone has different hardware, software, and other things that cause some random problems. You have to "test" slowly to notice them as someone has to report it as well.

This isn't an entire OS like Windows though.  No other program on my PC does a rollout this slow.  Besides, you'd think they'd mention that in the PR release about the new version now being available.

Except they do you just don't notice it.

Windows does it actually - you just don't notice it.
Facebook does it actually - you just don't notice it.
Video games sometimes do it - you just don't notice it.
Steam does it - you just don't notice it.
Adobe, Java, Python, etc etc I can keep going if you like 🙂

PR release was out before the update. The update is pushing out while they figure out any bugs and problems that need to be address. It's just one method of updating out of others methods. Programs I write also kind of do the same method as well to insure that it works or test against some problem base pcs that may or may not have any problems.

Just because in theory a few lines of code shouldn't mess with anything doesn't mean other hardware or software wont have a say in what happens. Also you do have the OS causing problems as well. It's not like everything is self contain in some weird environment. If it was - then we wouldn't have as many problems as we do 🙂

That's one of the reasons why developers do like consoles. It's simple to program for a console because you don't have to worry about any other weird hardware or software creating other programs. There is a big differences in between and features between an I7 to a I3, AMD Fury X to a Titan X, a SSD to a HDD, etc etc...

For example I've seen virus block the install from installing and drivers causing black screens. So yes - very much yes - shit happens and you just have to figure out, the best you can, how to fix the problem or figure out what is causing the program in the first place. You should take some application classes if you like a bit more insight into how much of a pain customer hardware can be at times 🙂 90% of all code is just keeping the user/customer hardware from doing stupid things as we say in the programming world xD

firebane
Protege
Yes I know, I do this all the time, but in every one of those cases comes the statement "rollout will be coming in waves over the next several X".

Greyman
Superstar
I suspect a King Canute of a bug must've stopped the waves on this one.  😉

Techy111
MVP
MVP
My wave is being held off by him = 
 hmmm didn't attach to post, he's down below lol
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
1ckugz1vall3.gif
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
well I read about it but finally tried it tonight. its like I got a free upgrade to my gpu.

I am not going crazy like some do, but using my existing settings which essentially ran well but may have had the odd blip..... its now flawless.

v impressed as a freebie

tried ED. PCARS tomorrow
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
How will this update affect things if you used the registry hack for ATW before this update? were you supposed to delete that hack before this update or won't it matter?

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer
To be honest, I would like to disable it. In Project Cars I'm noticing more jitter than before, I don't understand why Oculus always wants to impose some feature on the users, let me decide if I want it or not! 😕