Heroic Explorer
I just noticed, so I've recorded a quick video of it, it's quite cool! 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-cfJ3imDcg

EDIT: new video that shows the Touch capabilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFGwIsOPOA

53 REPLIES 53

CrashFu
Consultant
I can only hope the Avatar hair selection will include something even remotely as glamorous as my real-life hair.

Character creators in games have always left me disappointed in that respect. 😞 

P.S.  Thanks for sharing all this, Mr. Wilde!   It's great having a member of the community who can fill us in on this stuff while we wait to get our hands on it.  In retrospect, I'm glad you didn't get frustrated and leave us back when you were having hardware/support/replacement issues. :wink:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Mr_Wilde
Heroic Explorer

CrashFu said:

I can only hope the Avatar hair selection will include something even remotely as glamorous as my real-life hair.

This doesn't feel like it's meant to recreate the user, rather it's a fantasy interpretation. There are quite few sci-fi/steam punk dresses and eye wear that obviously don't exist in real life. Hopefully more variations will be added with time.

GtAwyFrmMyRamen
Adventurer

CrashFu said:

Character creators in games have always left me disappointed in that respect. 😞 

P.S.  Thanks for sharing all this, Mr. Wilde!   It's great having a member of the community who can fill us in on this stuff while we wait to get our hands on it.  In retrospect, I'm glad you didn't get frustrated and leave us back when you were having hardware/support/replacement issues. :wink:

In my experience the only developers who have ever left me truely satisfied with a character creator have been Asian. Save Funcom.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Mr.Wilde said:

Zoomie said:

Are you for serious?  You're Rikk?   😄

I'm surprised nobody figured it out sooner. :#

Well, it was pretty obvious when you posted your awesome Drossel model on reddit under that user name. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
Oculus said that Rooms and Parties that will be meeting zones for your avatars, will bee be released on Gear VR first. Has anyone seen any news on how long after that we can expect it to released for Rift? Will there be any environment where avatars can be used from the get go?

kzintzi
Trustee

Mr.Wilde said:

I don't know, but some people on Reddit have it even if they don't have Touch, so maybe it's random? I have no idea.

I've just got 1.10 but no avatar creator yet - unless it's somewhere I'm not looking? not in the desktop app or in Home (there is nothing above my name in Home)..

I do have the tutorial stuff and the (inactive) guardian option so not sure if I should have it - can someone who doesn't have touch yet but does have it pop up and say hello?
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
It's the same for me kzintzi, I think it was a red herring and Avatars is not linked to 1.10. I've not seen anyone else mention it either.

LZoltowski
Champion
Heh I like the Matrix liquid mirror thing.

Nifty Tune.

Is the environment like an upstairs room of your Oculus Home pad?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP
Avatar is there, it's just not exposed yet in Home.
Run the executable directly at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-avatar-editor\OVRAvatarEditor.exe

It runs fine without Touch, you can use the remote to do everything. But you will have a pair of hands floating ominously above your head. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

JED44
Rising Star
Used it today with revive, its pretty damn neat. but for heaven's sake there is not a normal pair of glasses anywhere to be seen. I wish I could've gotten a screen shot but steam VR functions were disabled.