Obduction VR: Turning around — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Obduction VR: Turning around

mcamca Posts: 1
NerveGear
I hoped Obduction VR had free turning around. Seems it has just 'blink turn' as its intense setting. 
Is there a way to activate free turning ?

Regards
mca

Comments

• KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    I haven't purchased it yet, but according to others apparently not. It's the main reason why I have chosen not to buy yet.

Fingers crossed they bring out an option for smooth turning in a patch.
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    edited October 2016
    Both standing and desk chairs that swivel work great in these instances, windlands has this same feature as does minecraft and those are both great games in their own genres. It increases your immersion to actually turn your in game world with your actual head, you know like we do in real life. I'm just really glad there's not forced teleportation as your main and only means to move about the game world (we don't teleport irl btw ((yet?))) which is the big no-no we need to complain about, in these instances I think we should pick our battles. Also the slight stutter is something that should be taken care of as well.

Edit: Just fired up windlands and loading my already open data, it brought me to a prompt to choose my comfort settings fully. Now you can choose between the previous only option of snap turning, or classic smooth turning - followed by 'controller comfort' which says "beginner: controller strafing is disabled. this vastly improves vr locomotion for most people." and the other option, "normal: controller strafing is enabled, this can cause discomfort for some people who are sensitive to vr locomotion." These guys even go out of their way to make sure you're not sick with a third "comfort cage" of the "solid" and "transparent" variations. I tried both of them and they actually look really neat, I prefer no cage myself, but it's great to have the option. Kudos to the continued updates windlands is doing, other devs need to take notes.

Edit 2: Just toyed around with their options more, they even have a "see standing" option that brings up a grid of semi transparent dots that are aligned with your real floor. On a side note, the "orb" comfort grid option actually looks cool, and uses a glowing semi-transparent barrier that is clear in the center and dynamic as you turn so you really feel like you're in a futuristic safe bubble.
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    I prefer standing as I sit on my ass too much anyway. Otherwise I use a swivel chair or look in the direction I want to move. Using the thumbstick or mouse to turn detracts from the immersion.

I actually, don't find the snap turning all the bad because you can turn your head to turn continuously within say +-60 degress and snap for larger angles or just turn your body in your chair or standing.
  • ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    I found this on the Steam forum about todays update and can confirm its working :smile:

Hot Fix - 1.3.4 for VR

4 NOVEMBER - GREY DRAGON
    Hot-fix, for VR only! A setting is now available for those who want to play with smooth-turning in Free movement mode. This setting is NOT recommended for most players, only experienced VR users who know what they're doing, as it can easily cause discomfort or even sickness. Use at your own risk! 

As this was created as a quick update, for now the setting can only be changed by editing a config file. If you'd rather not edit this file, we will be providing this setting as a menu option in an upcoming larger update (roughly planned for end of next week). 

To enable: 
    • make sure you have launched the game at least once in VR, and that the game is not currently running 
    • from Windows desktop, click Start or press the Windows key on your keyboard, and enter this: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Obduction\Saved\Config\ConfigVR\WindowsNoEditor 
    • using a text editor, such as Notepad, open the GameUserSettings.ini file 
      find the setting named FreeIntenseSmoothTurning, change it from false to true, and save the file
    Smooth-turning in Free mode will now be enabled.

• ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    edited November 2016
    Just tried this but no such command line as "FreeIntenseSmoothTurning" exists in my GameUserSettings.ini file 
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 775
    3Jane
    edited November 2016
    According to a comment on the Steam forums, they are going to enable free turning as an option for Oculus Home this weekend, or possibly today.

Grey Dragon 17 hours ago 
    The preview is just on the steam right now. Oculus is lacking a way for me to make a public preview on their store. We hope to get the Hot Fix out before the weekend to everyone.

• Mane_VrMane_Vr Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    OpticKing said:
    Both standing and desk chairs that swivel work great in these instances, windlands has this same feature as does minecraft and those are both great games in their own genres. It increases your immersion to actually turn your in game world with your actual head, you know like we do in real life. I'm just really glad there's not forced teleportation as your main and only means to move about the game world (we don't teleport irl btw ((yet?))) which is the big no-no we need to complain about, in these instances I think we should pick our battles. Also the slight stutter is something that should be taken care of as well.

Edit: Just fired up windlands and loading my already open data, it brought me to a prompt to choose my comfort settings fully. Now you can choose between the previous only option of snap turning, or classic smooth turning - followed by 'controller comfort' which says "beginner: controller strafing is disabled. this vastly improves vr locomotion for most people." and the other option, "normal: controller strafing is enabled, this can cause discomfort for some people who are sensitive to vr locomotion." These guys even go out of their way to make sure you're not sick with a third "comfort cage" of the "solid" and "transparent" variations. I tried both of them and they actually look really neat, I prefer no cage myself, but it's great to have the option. Kudos to the continued updates windlands is doing, other devs need to take notes.

Edit 2: Just toyed around with their options more, they even have a "see standing" option that brings up a grid of semi transparent dots that are aligned with your real floor. On a side note, the "orb" comfort grid option actually looks cool, and uses a glowing semi-transparent barrier that is clear in the center and dynamic as you turn so you really feel like you're in a futuristic safe bubble.

yes I wish more games gave us options when it comes to locomotion. I refuse to buy any game that doesn't
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,936 Valuable Player
    Applecorp said:
    Just tried this but no such command line as "FreeIntenseSmoothTurning" exists in my GameUserSettings.ini file 
    I added the line myself, and then I noticed that the game downloaded an update with modifies all the config files.

I just tried using the free turning option but nope, don't like it. I went back to Snap Turning lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    I'm okay with the snap turning.  I prefer it, but I really don't like the way it moves towards the direction you're looking when you walk.  I just want to be able to move STRAIGHT as I look around.  We do this in life, why not in VR?  I don't start veering off to where I'm looking.  Aside from that, very cool game so far.  
    lol - if you turn your head left and still want to go straight, just move the joystick to the right. Etc. :|
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:
    lol - if you turn your head left and still want to go straight, just move the joystick to the right. Etc. :|
    Or i could just use the joystick to turn in the direction I want to go in the first place.   ;)

It's unnatural, and compensating for it isn't very natural and smooth. 
    edited November 2016
    I got used to it after playing games like Technolust, Albino Lullaby, and Nevermind. Although I think at least one of those titles has the option to "move the direction you're facing" which can be enabled/disabled. I love options so it would be nice to see this with Obduction. Someone should definitely submit the request to the dev team.

In my case, I've played at least 3 first person perspective games where my hands simply became used to compensating for head-direction movement. I don't even think about it anymore, it just happens naturally.

The Obduction dev team is incredibly responsive to the community. If you submit the request I bet they would include it in a future update. Hell, it might even be an option in the current Config file.
    Trinity
    Yeah, I had the same problem with AliceVR.  Couldn't handle all the shifting around.  It's a little more subtle with Obduction, which is good.  I normally use teleportation with VR games, but with Obduction I find I like using the free movement with snap rotation, but it could be improved.  It could use another subdivision for the degrees of rotation, and of course turning off the head-direction drift.   I'll see about submitting the request, thanks for the tip.  
  • vrmowervrmower Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    agenttoff said:
    I'm okay with the snap turning.  I prefer it, but I really don't like the way it moves towards the direction you're looking when you walk.  I just want to be able to move STRAIGHT as I look around.  We do this in life, why not in VR?  I don't start veering off to where I'm looking.  Aside from that, very cool game so far.  
    This is my biggest issue with Obduction.  Looking around while moving is painful.

VR is awesome because you are in the game and get to look around anywhere.  In Obduction when you do it while traveling feels jarring and sends you where you don't want to go.  It forces you to look straight ahead only where you want to go or else.  It encourages exact opposite behavior it should be encouraging for VR. :(

Would be awesome if there were either a toggle or momentary button to decouple camera and strafing is huge.

After playing a few hours of overload (descent reboot) with 6DOF controls (keyboard+mouse) and fully decoupled head movement sitting mostly above the cockpit (alpha build no recenter) it was incredibly awesome.  Felt fine the whole time.  Forever changed my opinion of what can work - what is possible to get away with in VR.
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    agenttoff said:
    I'm okay with the snap turning.  I prefer it, but I really don't like the way it moves towards the direction you're looking when you walk.  I just want to be able to move STRAIGHT as I look around.   
    Yeah it's so odd it does that, in fact a few other games do it too, The Solus Project being one example.

If I look left when walking down the street in real life I don't start drifting to the left, lol.
    Trinity
    That's probably what it was that turned me off of The Solus Project.  
  • Bavinck1331Bavinck1331 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Strafe with the left stick. Took me ages to get used to it but I can now look around without having to change the direction I am walking
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Woohoo!ntwigbels said:
    I found this on the Steam forum about todays update and can confirm its working :smile:

Hot Fix - 1.3.4 for VR

4 NOVEMBER - GREY DRAGON
    Hot-fix, for VR only! A setting is now available for those who want to play with smooth-turning in Free movement mode. This setting is NOT recommended for most players, only experienced VR users who know what they're doing, as it can easily cause discomfort or even sickness. Use at your own risk! 

As this was created as a quick update, for now the setting can only be changed by editing a config file. If you'd rather not edit this file, we will be providing this setting as a menu option in an upcoming larger update (roughly planned for end of next week). 

To enable: 
    • make sure you have launched the game at least once in VR, and that the game is not currently running 
    • from Windows desktop, click Start or press the Windows key on your keyboard, and enter this: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Obduction\Saved\Config\ConfigVR\WindowsNoEditor 
    • using a text editor, such as Notepad, open the GameUserSettings.ini file 
      find the setting named FreeIntenseSmoothTurning, change it from false to true, and save the file
    Smooth-turning in Free mode will now be enabled.

Woohoo! We got through!

I can only hope that this is a sign of things to come as developers begin to realise that it is acceptable to include smooth turning in your game, at least as an option.
  • SpyrdeSpyrde Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    KillCard said:
    Woohoo!ntwigbels said: Woohoo! We got through!

I can only hope that this is a sign of things to come as developers begin to realise that it is acceptable to include smooth turning in your game, at least as an option.I
    I second that, Im getting sick and tired of being treated like a baby when it comes to movement/turning in vr games. Thanks devs for giving us the option.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm also happy to have a choice in the matter! Tbh I went back to snap turning, because I was already used to it (we are so adaptable species ;) ) and smooth turning wasn't always very smooth framerate wise on my system.
    Trinity
    edited November 2016
    The annoying thing about snap turning is how it changes based on where you're head is turned.  So, if my body were straight, but I was looking towards the left, it would then take that left position as the starting angle and turn from there.  it's pretty awkward having to look completely dead straight when rotating.   Driving the cart is also really annoying for a similar reason.  Why does it not keep me straight when I turn the cart?   or when the cart turns rather, being that it's on a track. 
    When I'm walking in real-life. I look straight with my head and use my eyes to look around. Then when I want to turn, I tend to point my head in that direction.

Just me?
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:
    When I'm walking in real-life. I look straight with my head and use my eyes to look around. Then when I want to turn, I tend to point my head in that direction.

Just me?
    Do me a favor, look immediately to the left of you.  You're telling me your head is kept straight ahead and you use your eyes to look in that direction?  Are you wearing a neck brace?   Then say you want to turn a corner.  You look towards that direction correct?   And as you're turning that direction your body, head, and eyes aren't perfect straight are they?  Because that's incredibly unusual too. ;)   I look towards the direction I turn too... that's what makes the games mechanics weird.  To snap turn you keep looking straight, then press "left" and it'll turn you say 45deg left.  if I look 45deg left in the direction I want to turn, as I would do in real-life, and as you said you'd do, it'll turn me 90deg.
    I'm sitting down right now so this entire experiment is going horribly wrong :o
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    As it's early days still, I think a lot of developers are thinking about things like locomotion and saying what are others doing even though what they see may be wrong? My hope is that they look in forums like these and get a sense of what is the best course of action going forward. Strangely, in terms of locomotion, the answer seems to be offer all alternatives and let the player choose!
    Hiro Protagonist
    For those who didn't know, its possible to snap-turn in 30 degree steps by small pushes on the xbox controller right thumbstick and big push for a 90 degrees snap turn. It's also possible to walk straight and looking to a side by countersteering a little with the xbox controller left thumbstick.  
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    Played for about three hours now. Have tried using free movement and blink, snap-turn and physically turning on the spot... Thought I was doing really well, lasting about an hour utilising free movement and turning on the spot, or slow rotations while moving.

My last play session, I tried blink movement, with a mix of snap-turn and physically turning. Found it to be just as [mildly] unsettling... I have a feeling that it's Obduction's environment that's unsettling me as much as the movement method.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    Exactly!  

This is what I do as well and it seems to work well.  You can effectively look in one direction and move in a different direction, so it's almost like having decoupled head movement and locomotion.  \

And it definitely adds to the sense of immersion when you're standing and physically turning your head and body to navigate Hunrath!  Now back to the mysterious tree ;)
  • KianoniKianoni Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited November 2016
    I found the game most comfortable to play on keyboard and mouse. Only annoying thing is the aforementioned change in direction when looking at something.
    edit: I have all comfort options turned off, with smooth turning
  • Bavinck1331Bavinck1331 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    I agree with Street Preacher and Zenbane... learning to maintain a movement direction whilst turning the head works really well. I think it is an issue of us as gamers getting used to it in VR when we probably already were in 2D. I think the only other possible way might be the same thing that Eagle Flight does, hold a button / toggle to free head movement from direction but that would remove a button that could be used for something else