cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vrideo.com terminated

zproxy
Expert Protege
We’re sad to announce that Vrideo is shutting down as of today.  We’re incredibly proud of what our team has achieved since launching our platform in beta in March 2015
16 REPLIES 16

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
Wow, that's sad, hate to see anyone have to shut up shop. I guess it's getting a tough world out there. Hope everyone in the team manages to quickly move on to new ventures.

Thane_
Heroic Explorer

zproxy
Expert Protege
it also highlights, why we need offline solutions. the oculus home always online demand is as scary and subject to shutdowns too

Yeah, that's a shame, there were a few great vids on there and the ability to download rather than stream was a real boon when streaming speeds were less than stellar.

I guess we'll eventually end up with a dominant streaming app... but until then, we have a number of apps competing for a pretty small market

edmg
Trustee
It's kind of a shame, but I never got it to work properly. I ended up with a choice of low-res that sustained a decent frame rate, or high-res that stuttered like hell. The 'download' option never worked.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Thane_ said:

Why not just sell it to keep it going?

Probably because there are competitors with a slightly better working product? I'm not discounting the value of VRIDEO, I liked them. But for someone else to buy it, there has to be a niche. I'm not exactly what their niche was, other than maybe the option to Save a file locally. But that's not really a competitive edge.

AQfumes
Adventurer

That's too bad...I also enjoyed Vrideo. Having the option to download a video before I watched it had really helped me out, before I upgraded my internet speed.

Hopefully their team can come up with something else in the future.

zproxy
Expert Protege
now the question is - if a 2M app developer cant make it on GearVR, are there examples who can?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
YouTube already has a 360/VR channel that anyone can watch with any HMD. JAUNT is still around as well, along with Oculus 360 Video.