cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my machine capable in minimum spec?

DaemonD1
Explorer
Hey guys, 

I've been tentatively looking into VR, since picking up a new gaming laptop. I appreciate it isn't the most high-end, but was curious whether I'd be able to run the Rift on this to decent effect? Any input would be greatly appreciated: 

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Speed 2.6 GHz
Number of Cores 4

Memory
RAM 32 GB

Video Card #2
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 960M
Dedicated Memory 4.0 GB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Video Card #1
Video Card Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Dedicated Memory 128 MB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Operating System
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

Thanks in advance guys. I'm sure these questions crop up a lot!

DD1
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately your Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M isn't strong enough to run VR, even with ASW helping the lower spec machines.

You can run this test on your laptop to check it yourself next time though 🙂

https://ocul.us/compat-tool

DaemonD1
Explorer
Ah, that's a shame. I guess that's the first step then! Thanks for responding Frozenpea!

Maxxgold
Rising Star

FrozenPea said:

Unfortunately your Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M isn't strong enough to run VR, even with ASW helping the lower spec machines.

You can run this test on your laptop to check it yourself next time though 🙂

https://ocul.us/compat-tool

Just an FYI, but that tool does not check to see if you can run VR. It just has a list of supported products that are VR approved. I agree that you are under-specked, but if you want a real determination of whether your system can do VR, then use the utility from Steam, that actually tests your PC and setup.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I fail the Oculus compatibility tool test, but as you can see the raw power of my machine is correctly measured by the Steam VR Tool. The Oculus Tool doesn't like my older 3570k CPU, which is way more powerful than the entry level 4590. Steam VR tool actually tests my cpu, and doesn't just read from a list of supported and un-supported cpu's. 

ulxcgqb5b1l5.jpg

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
I don't know about correctly measured. I got a lower score than maxxgold on a gtx 1080 and 4790k. There is no reasonable explanation for that other than the test is fundamentally flawed. It tells you if you can run VR and it gives a rough idea if your system is min, medium or high end but accurate...dunno about that.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
My gtx1080 and I7-6700k only scores "high" take this tool with a pinch of salt 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Sakkura
Heroic Explorer
Yeah the SteamVR performance test is not very accurate.

DaemonD1
Explorer
Thanks for your replies all. Will check over the Steam VR test and Oculus tool again later. I believe both cited my CPU as the issue last time I checked. 

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Well...I mean, if it says that, ya you may be  looking at performance lacking. I meant as far as a accurate score, it can't be taken seriously.