cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth VR running on the Rift with touch

LZoltowski
Champion
Hi Folks, 

I came across this video, here the guy is showing off Google Earth VR using the Oculus Touch. He is using something called FakeVive ... 

I myself cant wait to have a go ... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vle65dFr6Ng

Google should really release this for the OH, no excuse
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
110 REPLIES 110

Anonymous
Not applicable
Really awesome! I'm sure Google will release this officially for Touch once it's out.

Doing a 'superman' looks so much fun! 

jademan
Heroic Explorer
I played with this the other night on Vive... Wow!!  Absolutely stunning!!  Especially when you go down to street level (in an area that has that detail level available) and walk around like Godzilla, or fly over the area like Mothra. Sure, the houses look very deformed, but in a very artsy way.  This app is done well - very well.  It will be one I demo every time for sure.

As I understand it, the FakeVive dll simply answers the app's call for VR HMD with "Vive" regardless of whether you are using Rift or not.  It supposedly works well enough, if you are lucky enough to have Touch already, or Hydras, or Steam LEAP Driver.

LZoltowski
Champion
Excellent, and im sure Google will improve the scanning photgrammetry tech to create even more detailed cities and buildings overtime.

Imagine how therapeutic these kinds of experiences could be for people with impaired mobility or sickness.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Wheatabits
Expert Protege
OOOH, I can use this with my LEAP?  I have had some issues playing Vive games in the past with it, but this seems like there aren't that many buttons.  Could be fun while I wait on the Touch controllers to arrive.

BGFH
Protege

I can't wait for this to officially come to the Rift.  It looks like a very cool use of VR. 

I'd love the ability to type in a specific address though, and explore from there. 

LZoltowski
Champion
I cant tell how many sensors he is using, he has one at the back mounted to a wall, so I assume 3? ... or 2? arghh there will be a lot of testing done when mine arrives!!!

Be kind to one another 🙂

assettomio
Adventurer
The guy has 4 sensors, he did that in another video.. He has pretty damn good videos, he should get more views/subscribers really

Uberwolfe
Adventurer
You can use this without the touch controllers, it's limited but still gives a good feel.

Use the suggested method here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5dcgts/how_to_remove_the_google_earth_vr_headset_check/

Gaze, Space and Enter keys for navigating menus.

Hold in Space and and move your head to navigate the landscape.

Pretty rudimentary but still worth it if like me you can't wait until official support 🙂

------------------------------
For the record, here's the suggested method. Credit to https://www.reddit.com/u/Shockfire7:

I developed a generic solution that doesn't require patching the EXE and also lets Touch/Hydra controllers work correctly. Just download,
unzip ddraw.dll into the EarthVR directory, and you're set. It works by
intercepting the OpenVR requests to get HMD information, so it's not
completely specific to Google Earth VR and it will (probably) continue
to work even if Google releases an update.

Thanks for sharing this though. Google Earth VR is pretty cool and I hope we'll see official support for the Rift sometime soon

flexy123
Superstar
Even with FakeVive this is extremely awkward to navigate with the keyboard.  The app is VERY nicely done, but without Touch/Motion controllers pretty much pointless/useless.,IMO.