cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

head discomfort, anyone?

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
I can't wear my Rift for more than an hour, if that.  It makes my skullcap and forehead ache.  When I take it off my skullcap and upper forehead are numb.

I had played with all of the adjustments but this has always been a problem for me.

Has anyone else had the same problem?  Any suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14

Zandil
Rising Star
I use mine for hours on end and no issue.  Are you a extra wide or larger than average hat size ? 
Sounds like you either have it to tight or your on the outer edge of it's size limit ?

Make sure the bottom of the back triangle is sitting just below where the back of your head curves in, so many people have this part sitting to high.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Sounds like you've got it way too tight.    And like Zandil says, make sure the back is down low on your head.  There should be barely any pressure anywhere if you're wearing it right.

Jokergod2000
Adventurer
Make sure the plastic part on the back is basically touching your neck. It goes pretty far back.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
Ah ok, maybe that's my problem.  I keep the back piece a little high because otherwise the mask pressure is all on my forehead as opposed to having balanced pressure around the eyes.  When the back piece is low there is zero contact between the facial interface and my cheeks.

I feel like I need either a new facial interface or more tilt in the hinges than they provide.

Is Oculus selling different facial interfaces yet?

PassiveVR
Expert Protege
The few times I've used the CV1 (not mine) I've had mixed results, it's a bit hit or miss. even when fitted 'right'.

The sooner they revise the design and copy/improve on the PSVR head mount system the better. PSVR was so comfy I used to put mine on even when it wasn't plugged in, because it actually felt 'nice' on my forehead and rear of head, very padded, nice material and the lack of ANY face contact/pressure was beautiful (compared to my ex-VIVE). It's technically heavier than rift and vive yet felt way lighter than VIVE due to the balanced design (they actually added weight on purpose in the rear to make the front feel better) and it just feels really light and easy to put on.

Comfort must be addressed asap as without that you have something that's already a chore to put on feeling even more undesirable. PSVR just about nailed it (mostly - though the thickness of the headband does stop you using certain headphones - if Oculus redesigned a CV1.1 they of course would have built in phones so hopefully could take that into account).

After using PSVR for a while (now sold) I can't really wear any other HMD and think it's anything like remotely 'normal' feeling, esp where face contact is concerned. on PSVR your entire face/cheeks/muscles/eyes are free to blink, smile, move and breathe - and the light gap is a non issue, the soft material pulls in and blocks most of it, and you can play in a dim room. Once in you don't even notice it. Also love the slide in/out front that lets you see around you better without taking it off.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

jojerjack said:

I have the same issues, my forehead goes numb just above the eyebrows.. I have the straps as loose as they can go now and the hmd moves a bit but it still hurts my forehead.  Fingers crossed someone brings out a new faceplate soon!  

If you're wearing it right there should be only a little weight on the top of your head and just a light pressure, basically just a little contact, from the HMD on your forehead and cheeks.  I usually angle the HMD down a little bit because that puts the sweet spot in a better position but puts a little more pressure on my my cheeeks.  But that's it.  And I've got a pretty fat head, I can't loosen the side straps much further than they are or the velcro will pop off.

Zandil
Rising Star
A lot of people don't know that the front unit actually tilts on side hinges up and down, so you can angle it to even out the pressure on your face. 

It took me about a month to find the right settings for my Rift, while all the above tips are good you need to just keep adjusting it here and there till you get that sweet spot for yourself. 

falken76
Expert Consultant

I can't wear my Rift for more than an hour, if that.  It makes my skullcap and forehead ache.  When I take it off my skullcap and upper forehead are numb.

I had played with all of the adjustments but this has always been a problem for me.

Has anyone else had the same problem?  Any suggestions?

It bothers me too.  I don't have a large head.  It just feels like the rift is putting the sleeper move on me and eventually I have to tap out or I'll pass out.  It's not on too tight, the back goes to the lower part of my skull.  My only solution was to not play it much.  Not difficult to do considering there's not much I want to get in the store.  I might get used to it, but I just don't like the way it squeezes my head.  I'll really get to see how it effects me when touch comes out since I am sure I'll use it a lot more then.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer

Zandil said:

A lot of people don't know that the front unit actually tilts on side hinges up and down, so you can angle it to even out the pressure on your face.

Mine doesn't tilt enough in that hinge to make a difference.  If it tilted more then I could make it work.

Without more tilt in the physical hinge I will require a new facial interface to fill the gap.