cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Room-scale setup, 3 sensors.

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I received my 3 adjustable sensor mounts today, so I decided to go ahead and map out the area I plan to use for RoomScale. I have a 9' by 11' space available for my setup

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IDBXBO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan to use 3 sensors. I was originally going to go with two, but I didn't want to wait for the extra sensor if I ended up needing it, so I just ordered the extra sensor. I followed this triangle setup.  I'm going to try this setup for the back sensor.

fv35yp8n6brr.jpg

The first thing I did was make some measurements on my ceiling, and map out the angles. The sensors are reported to have a 100 degrees horizontal angle 
46269fbpidl2.gif
by a 70 degrees vertical angle.
bz39q2vrvbfo.gif
So I grabbed my protractor and started making some marks on the ceiling. I also used some wool thread and painters tape to mark out the angles on my ceiling.
8baw3bi95wmj.jpg
mejm8yvls7fe.jpg
4m18jxtx11ox.jpg
e73lpbmrnbq2.jpg

Once I got everything mapped out correctly. All the angles overlapped, and providing complete coverage of my entire play area. I installed the camera mounting hardware. I placed 2 up front, and one in the back of the room. I have a 9' wide area so the back camera is mounted at 4'6".
a1lw4fkyy4y6.jpg

Once I mounted my sensor. I reset the sensor so I can still sit at my desk and use my headset. The nice thing about the camera mounts is that you can rotate the sensor 360 degrees, and I can tilt the sensor forward or backwards for more coverage. I also have the rear sensor mount back off the wall so that I can rotate that sensor 360 degrees, and tilt it forward or backwards.

rhbxjxw6y9tn.jpg

ldqookphddpn.jpg

7io61ady9mj2.jpg

I'm still waiting for Oculus Touch and my extra sensor, so when I get the extra hardware I will finish this post. I just figured everyone is looking at how to do their setup, so I figured I would share mine.
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice! Am only going for 2 sensors myself I think, in opposing corners. 😄

Maxxgold
Rising Star

snowdog said:

Nice! Am only going for 2 sensors myself I think, in opposing corners. 😄

You will probably be fine. I was going to do 2, but I wanted to be sure, so I bought the extra sensor. I'm going to test my setup with 2 just to see if I would have been fine without the extra sensor.

battleaxe39
Protege
i'm going to try 2 also, not sure where they are going yet but I will find somewhere even if its on the wifes head when she is sleeping lol

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
I am staying with 2 also, but in a 180 configuration.

kevink808
Superstar
Oh c'mon Maxx! With the cheese you spent on that setup thus far, what's another $80? Get a 4th. I am. 
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Maxxgold
Rising Star

kevink808 said:

Oh c'mon Maxx! With the cheese you spent on that setup thus far, what's another $80? Get a 4th. I am. 

Haha, I think I was good with 2, but wanted the 3rd just in case. Four would be overkill :wink:, or would it?

HiThere_
Superstar

Maxxgold said:

I followed this triangle setup.

If I had ordered a third camera, I would rather have went with a circle (or ellipse), and placed a camera every 120° from the central point.

The same way you would place a camera every 90° from the central point if you had 4 cameras.

mikjac
Protege

Cyril said:

Maxxgold said:

I followed this triangle setup.

If I had ordered a third camera, I would rather have went with a circle (or ellipse), and placed a camera every 120° from the central point.

The same way you would place a camera every 90° from the central point if you had 4 cameras.

Which incidentally, gives you a triangle.
xv2zgr7nwkyn.png

Sorry, couldn't resist :wink:

EliteSPA
Superstar
Love the PC case :smile:

I will be testing with 2 sensors first, my room isnt that big.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz