cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR SD Card Support?

azn_spiderboi
Honored Guest
I have pretty much maxed out my Phones internal Memory, and I would love to transfer the Oculus Apps to the micro SD card as I have purchased a 200 GB SD card for my Samsung Galaxy s7. Is there a way to transfer these apps without any rooting or alterations? Will there be any updates to support this?
59 REPLIES 59

scopus321
Expert Protege
someone here that is tech savy, can you comment if this is something that can be fixed with a simple application update? or is it hardware related?

smilertoo
Protege
I was on the fence about getting an s7/gearvr, i've seen so many posts of problems on this forum that appear to be totally ignored i think i should just wait and see what Daydream VR brings to the game.

Bel-garath
Expert Protege
They don't realize, or maybe they do, who knows...that they are losing sales from a SW and HW perspective because of this. I was going to get the new GearVR, but decided not to because there isn't enough space with even the 32GB S7 Edge.You need a minimum of 64GB if you don't want to have to ridiculously delete install delete install all the time...which I'm not doing. So with that, I will wait for Google Daydream which hopefully allows for the SD card to be the primary storage area for the apps. If not, then hopefully the S8 which will probably be announced in February will resolve this along with a much higher resolution. We can only hope.

dcj91x
Protege
S8 will come with SD card support for all VR apps but will not have sound and can only hold a 256mb SD card....

scopus321
Expert Protege

dcj91x said:

S8 will come with SD card support for all VR apps but will not have sound and can only hold a 256mb SD card....

haha, thats what we need

Reverend_Brown
Protege
I bet the reasoning goes something like this:

We can't have people using any old slow (and possibly fake) SD card to store VR apps because it has the potential to compromise the experience and then cause all sorts of support headaches (seriously, that's what some people will do).  But if we come out and say that we'll get a backlash from the portion of the community that knows how to shop for high-performance memory and how to test it before putting it into service (and therefore don't want to be treated like idiots), and we'll also get criticized even more for releasing flagship Gear VR devices with only 32GB of internal storage which is a big part of why this problem exists in the first place.

So Samsung/Oculus are probably just playing the PR game.  If there's nothing you can say that wont generate a negative reaction, and the possible reaction to saying nothing at all is judged to be less severe, then say nothing at all.  Meanwhile maybe you can work on some sort of solution, or not.

If I had to suggest/guess at a viable solution, it would go something along the lines of Android's adoptable storage feature, but a much stricter implementation that will refuse to adopt an SD card unless the benchmarking process reveals it to meet a minimum performance criteria that is suitable for all conceivable VR usage scenarios.  But even then adoptable storage by its very nature remains removable, and that makes for a potential support headache no matter how you slice it.  So to be perfectly honest I can understand why there might be some reticence when it comes to the prospect of officially supporting such things.

Only my opinion of course.

Daganerabus
Honored Guest
Me too!  just had s7 for 35hrs.  new to gear vr  FULL ALREADY!  Cannot transfer vr files to external kr mame external loom like internal.  this sucks!  SHANE ON SAMSUNG FOR DOING THIS!  I THOUGHT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE INTELLIGENT PPL.  THEIR SAKES DESERVE TO PLUMMET IF THEY DONT FIX THIS SHIT!  

MY S6 CAME WITH OPTION FOR 160GB INTERNAL.  MY S7 (NEW)  DID NOT!  WTF!???!   
SAMSUNG OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT READ THESE,  AND DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!  
THAT IS MY CURRENT OPINION AND STANCE!  
CMON PPL.  PICK UP THE PHONE and CALL SAMSUNG.  FLOOD THEIR WEBSITE AND EMAILZ WITH UR DISAPPOINTMENT.  MAYBE THEN,  THEY'LL GET THE HINT!   HAVE TO FLOOD SOCIAL MEDIA TOO!  

THE OTHER GUY ABOVE IS CORRECT!   HOW CAN WE BE ENCOURAGED TO "BUY' APPS IF WE CANNOT STORE THEM??!!! 

That alone will cause Samsung to lose MILLIONS of dollars!   perhaps the NEGATIVE IMPACT would be used for a TAX WRITE-OFF!?!  PROBABLY WHAT THEY WANT!?! 

Steemium
Explorer
I can't install more than 4-5 VR app at once while there are hundreds I would like to try.
Check my account I already spent about 45$ on apps.
I used to keep some app to have other people try it.

Worst business decision ever. WAKE THE FUCK UP!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, this is just crazy!!! How the heck are we supposed to watch or do anything when we have no space.. most these apps and videos are HUGE.. we are supposed to just play them one time and then delete them? Well that will make me not spend a dime on apps. I haven't bought any because my phone is filled full just from the free stuff. I would spend more money, if I could move some apps to the SD card. I even moved all my other apps possible to the SD card and still filled up my phone. Please Oculus, fix this issue, so you can move apps to your SD card, if not your only hurting yourselves. Not only that, when your phone is too full, the apps run HORRIBLY so in fact you can't have too many VR software because of space and they run like crap because of.. you guessed it.. SPACE!! Please fix this.

zproxy
Expert Protege
i cant install any oculus home apps, as the device is full of internal dev vr apps