New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

So.. will oculus release new version of oculus in 2017 too?

shin777shin777 Posts: 120
Hiro Protagonist
I see vive is already coming out with vive 2.0 codenamed oasis in 2017 Q1 or so. Will oculus come out with improved version too next year? Dang.. I bought oculus rift in July and Vive few days ago. I am so angry and happy.

Comments

• Nobbs66Nobbs66 Posts: 722
    3Jane
    No, a Vive 2 isn't even out of the planning stages. The new vive you're thinking of is literally just a redesigned cable and headstrap. Other than that there are no differences. There is also no CV2 coming out this year since they haven't even talked about it yet. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.4ghz | R9 Fury Tri X @ 1150mhz | 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,102
    3Jane
    Back when the Rift preorders began, it was stated that Oculus' goal was to release new device refreshes in a time period longer than cell phone refreshes, but shorter than game console refreshes. And closer to cell phone than game console. I take that as meaning "About every two years".
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,897 Valuable Player
    I would guess the cv2 won't be out until around the end of 2018.Once the developers get the full potential out of it it will be time. I'm 63 so I can't afford to wish my life away for the new units to come out.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,054 Valuable Player
    Nobbs66 said:
    No, a Vive 2 isn't even out of the planning stages. The new vive you're thinking of is literally just a redesigned cable and headstrap. Other than that there are no differences. There is also no CV2 coming out this year since they haven't even talked about it yet. 
    This ^^^^

It's basically going to be the Vive 1.1. And Oculus don't need a 1.1 because they released a finished final consumer ready product in the first place.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • tankytanky Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I think there is still a ways to go. Current GPU's can barely handle the Oculus Rift Max settings. Remember most games now only use half the pixels that are present in the Oculus Rift. 
  • VrSpongeVrSponge Posts: 150
    Art3mis
    Oculus is working on a wireless headset too according to the internet.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    Take my money. I will pre-order at first opportunity,
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 793
    3Jane
    You cannot just release new VR kits with insanely high specs like increased resolution and FOV etc. when PCs to drive them REASONABLY would cost $3000+. There are others things which would be required for new VR kits with high resolutions and bigger FOV, like FOVeated rendering etc. which would save GPU processing time.
    But those things aren't developed in a few months for sure. Fortunately Oculus has facebook money backing them so I am pretty sure there is lots of interesting stuff there is in the works. (Personally for me, most important is wider FOV, and things like eye tracking and FOVeated rendering)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    For me the most important upgrade would be to be able to change the current strap system to that used by the psvr.
    If we could change the set up to that then I would be insanely happy 
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 514
    Neo
    There is a lust for version increments.  The danger is when that increment becomes detached from reality.  Some consumers will buy anything with a higher version number.  Similarly, some manufacturers will sell anything.

A good example of detachment from reality is wireless tethers.  Similar to the room scale fallacy, wireless tethers will be similarly nonfunctional for most gamers and applications because the play space still limits your movement.  That means in reality gamers will still use controller movement which defeats the promise of wireless.  A wireless tether is still a tether.

A good example of attachment to reality is the Oculus Santa Cruz which is not only wireless but also untethered.  That combination addresses the limitations of room scale and tethered (even if wireless) experiences.  In the Santa Cruz you have not just new features and a version increment, but a complete product that offers real and purposed value.

Also on the topic of products and versioning, Oculus is the only company that is correctly creating separate product lines.  They have the Gear VR which is made for stationary, simple applications.  The Rift which is made for tethered, high end experiences.  And now the Santa Cruz which breaks into the new realm of untethered VR.

It is so important to recognize that PC VR is made for tethered experiences.  Any physical movement in PC VR is novelty at best.  The nature of having a tether to a physical, unattached computing device means your movement is limited, and limited movement in VR might as well be no movement.

In summary:

wireless PC VR = tethered
    tethered = no movement
    no movement = no real value
    no real value = not worth a version increment

Despite having no real value, consumers will eagerly buy wireless tethers because of the promise of movement.  But in the end the practical applications will be the same as room scale where you stand still in the middle of a tracked area and use controller movement.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    Atmos73 said:
    Nobbs66 said:
    HTC have the next Vive in the advanced planning stage. It will be wireless and appear in 2017. The question is not if or when but where it will appear. Will it be consigned to Arcades or will it become the next consumer version.

Will should find out at CES 2017.
    Ooooh wireless VIVE ... didnt know about that, wheres the article?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • water_water_ Posts: 226
    Nexus 6
    I really could care less about wireless. Buying a new headset, whatever brand, will come down to how much the resolution has increased. For me, that is the only downside to the Rift atm.
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    Atmos73 said:
    Just to throw out a bit of controversy here but could Valve release their own HMD in 2017?
    They could if they wanted to, but they obviously don't want to. That's why they hooked up with HTC to manufacture the Vive.

3Jane
    edited December 2016
    Valve hasn't announced or said anything at all about any wireless Vive in 2017, where did you read that? There is a third party company that is making their own wireless kit for the existing Vive that they are releasing in 2017 (for around $200), are you maybe thinking of that?
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited December 2016

tanky said:
    I think there is still a ways to go. Current GPU's can barely handle the Oculus Rift Max settings. Remember most games now only use half the pixels that are present in the Oculus Rift. 
    If developers starts to integrate VR SLI....
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    EliteSPA said:

tanky said:
    ...then they'll have a potential install base of around 300,000 customers :) Probably less, since the 300,000 number I read was the number of people using SLI, but for VR SLI you also need a 970 or better.
    3Jane
    EliteSPA said:

tanky said:
    SLI for VR is interesting.  Each card could render each eye. Might be tricky to implement without DX12/Vulkan, though I'm not terribly familiar with using either API.
  • RiftsRifts Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Atmos73 said:

Just to throw out a bit of controversy here but could Valve release their own HMD in 2017?

Steam supports 3 HMDs now in 2016 and could be four or five in 2017. Oculus might be stuck on one if they don't loosen up their SDK. Before long Oculus might become irrelevant as the choice of new HMD with Steam and Revive support will flood the market. We could be in the situation of seeing s new HMD every 4 or 5 months.
    More likely HTC Vive 1.0 will become irrelevant once Touch comes out, since there'll be zero reasons to buy a Vive after that. Steam supporting 3 HMD's is only good for Steam, not for Vive.
    3Jane
    I wouldn't say the Vive becomes irrelevant, but rather the Rift equally relevant to the Vive once touch is released. Both HMDs will be on a nearly equal playing field at that point. 
  • RiftsRifts Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    @Nobbs66 Almost equal, except the Rift is a lot more comfortable/light, has better motion controllers and lower system requirements. Since they're the same price, OR definitely has more value.
    3Jane
    Rifts said:
    @Nobbs66 Almost equal, except the Rift is a lot more comfortable/light, has better motion controllers and lower system requirements. Since they're the same price, OR definitely has more value.
    There's also the thing about having to get USB extensions, which a lot of people don't like. 
  • tankytanky Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    EliteSPA said:

tanky said:
    EliteSPA said:

tanky said:
    ...then they'll have a potential install base of around 300,000 customers :) Probably less, since the 300,000 number I read was the number of people using SLI, but for VR SLI you also need a 970 or better.
    It would be very cool if VR did use SLI, but the issue is surely the user base as stated above. There would not be enough people running SLI for developers to get interested enough to develop games just for this small market. Although it may come to fruition if the price of top tier SLI matches a single GPU, which will probably only happen in 5 years when the technology catches up and becomes affordable. 
  • juup87juup87 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Atmos73 said:
    Nobbs66 said:
    HTC have the next Vive in the advanced planning stage. It will be wireless and appear in 2017. The question is not if or when but where it will appear. Will it be consigned to Arcades or will it become the next consumer version.

Will should find out at CES 2017.
    http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-wireless-kit/

Neo
    Atmos73 said:

HTC have the next Vive in the advanced planning stage. It will be wireless and appear in 2017.
    Atmos73 said:

There's not enough info to make an article about it. :o
    Valve hasn't announced or said anything at all about any wireless Vive in 2017, where did you read that?
    Neo
    juup87 said:

The topic is CV2, not CV1 addons.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    EliteSPA said:

tanky said:
    Or a non propitiatory, open SDK like LiquidVR...
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    I don't care what anyone says. I'll buy a wireless Rift when it's released.  And it WILL be released some day with some future iteration of the device. You can quibble with semantics all you want about tether, wireless tether or whatever, but the fact is, even with seated experiences it sucks to wind up your head cord.  When the technology catches up, wireless will be a no-brainer and consumers will demand it.  Those who also bemoaned the death of corded phones can suck it!
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Wireless would be useless for my play area, just something else to charge/go wrong.

As other have mentioned Oculus don't need to release a new headset any time soon as they already have a consumer kit out and HTC will release there consumer kit next year to catch up.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • FadeeawayFadeeaway Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    VrSponge said:
    Oculus is working on a wireless headset too according to the internet.
    I hope a livingroom expander is included in next Oculus/Vive release ! :)