cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch delivered a day early! However... A warning

Bavinck1331
Protege
I received an email from UPS this morning updating my delivery details to end of the day tomorrow. Obviously was quite happpy with a delivery on launch day so organised with work to work from home tomorrow to ensure I could stop it being sent to the depot. 
I received an email this morning stating that it had been delivered and was "left at door". Luckily I live 15 minutes walk from work... not being comfortable with the probable meaning of "left at door" I legged it home to ensure it didn't get stolen.
despite having a nice wall in front of the house and bins that obscure the view, the package was left in full sight leant up against the door itself, easily viewable and probably quite tempting to some to chance grabbing it.

Check your UPS delivery settings to see if you can avoid this happening to you if yours hasn't arrived
33 REPLIES 33

msm903
Protege

DannyMNL said:

As a Dutchman I find it very strange that in the US packages can just get left at the door. Over here no delivery company is allowed to do that. Even if no signature is required they still need to make sure it gets delivered to a person, so they either hand it over to a neighbour and leave a notice in your mailbox, or they will try to deliver it the next day.

I'm also surprised nAV2016 put the blame on Oculus for his package getting stolen, while it's clearly UPS' fault for allowing their drivers to just leave packages unattended at someone's doorstep. 

In most cases if a vendor chooses to ship with a specific provider they are responsible for the cost of lost of or stolen items, not the buyer in the case. It is not the job of the buy to get the refund from UPS. That is left to Oculus. Oculus in this case chose the shipping company and a product is not received until the buy has it.

I have purchased items from Amazon that UPS claimed they delivered and I never received.I have reported it to Amazon, received a replacement item and I assume Amazon recouped the cost for the lost item from UPS.

indy_ukcm
Explorer
My Touch arrived today ahead of schedule .... dates given - arriving Dec 6 - 13 ... pleasant surprise
UPS Delivery, signature required

Set up took all of 5mins, was up and running before my kettle even boiled ...... must get a faster kettle 🙂

Only issue I have is

The Pre-order and bundled games are not available for download

Dead and Buried, Oculus Medium and Quill return error message  "Unable to download, try again later or contact support"

Unspoken, Toy Box and VR Sports Challenge return a "Not Valid" for the Redeem code issued by Oculus
Despite being listed in my "Not Installed" section of Oculus Home
HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 390 8Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

Bavinck1331
Protege
Indy, I believe the content only becomes available tomorrow so can't be downloaded today - would make sense that it is in your not installed section as it at least shows it is yours 🙂

Bloodlet
Rising Star
UPS delivered a day early for me too. Luckily someone was here to sign for it. UK here too.

I've waited till after the kettle boils before I even open the box tho 😛

Looks like I'll be testing on the steam games I bought. Seems wrong but I can't help myself now lol

flexy123
Superstar
I just wanted to answer something "snarky", but then....when I bought my Rift (from a guy from classifieds) the FIRST package was indeed also stolen. (The first time this ever happened to me). So the package literally never made it into the DHL truck respective was stolen from the truck. Fortunately, the guy had multiple rifts (he resold them after he bought a bunch with an amazon coupon), and the second package arrived.

PUT YOUR "VALUABLE" THINGS IN A NEUTRAL BOX!!!! The 1st one wasn't, this is why it was stolen.

Jamesparker_1
Expert Protege
Arrgggggghhhhh!!!! Looks like they tried to deliver in the 30minute window that my wife was picking up the kids!!!!

Bavinck1331
Protege
Bet you half wish they had just dumped it!

Jamesparker_1
Expert Protege
I'm still hoping I'll go home and find it on the doorstep!! Tracking says they will attempt a second delivery but it doesn't say if that's today or tomorrow!

Ebonyknight
Expert Protege

I'm still hoping I'll go home and find it on the doorstep!! Tracking says they will attempt a second delivery but it doesn't say if that's today or tomorrow!

Tomorrow.  The driver will finish the rest of his rounds and deliver it tomorrow, unless you call them up and complain.  Then they may try to deliver it again at the end of the driver's rounds.

falken76
Expert Consultant

DannyMNL said:

As a Dutchman I find it very strange that in the US packages can just get left at the door. Over here no delivery company is allowed to do that. Even if no signature is required they still need to make sure it gets delivered to a person, so they either hand it over to a neighbour and leave a notice in your mailbox, or they will try to deliver it the next day.

I'm also surprised nAV2016 put the blame on Oculus for his package getting stolen, while it's clearly UPS' fault for allowing their drivers to just leave packages unattended at someone's doorstep. 

No it's not UPS fault, they have a driver release policy based upon insurance claims in the area.  If they've had too many claims in an area the driver usually won't leave the package.  Other than that, it is driver discretion.  They have a Signature service that has a cost involved like every other courier that collects signature on delivery.  Oculus has opted not to pay for the service so these are being dropped off based on driver discretion and previous insurance claims on their existing routs.  They also only provide coverage of $100 by default, I'll bet Oculus also does not insure the packages since that too would have a cost involved and if they had, they could have easily filed a claim for nAV2016, but instead they chose to handle it like the Bobs handled Milton from Office Space, they ingnored him because they sound like they don't like confrontation and hoped the problem would fix itself, he's fortunate he paid via a method with chargeback capabilities.  This should illustrate that you should never buy directly from Oculus, use a source that will actually assist you like Amazon and use a credit card or equivilant that gives you the option of chargebacks.