New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Touch delivered a day early! However... A warning

Bavinck1331Bavinck1331 Posts: 50
Hiro Protagonist
I received an email from UPS this morning updating my delivery details to end of the day tomorrow. Obviously was quite happpy with a delivery on launch day so organised with work to work from home tomorrow to ensure I could stop it being sent to the depot. 
I received an email this morning stating that it had been delivered and was "left at door". Luckily I live 15 minutes walk from work... not being comfortable with the probable meaning of "left at door" I legged it home to ensure it didn't get stolen.
despite having a nice wall in front of the house and bins that obscure the view, the package was left in full sight leant up against the door itself, easily viewable and probably quite tempting to some to chance grabbing it.

Check your UPS delivery settings to see if you can avoid this happening to you if yours hasn't arrived

Comments

• nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    this happened to me with UPS whilst delivering the rift, I was unfortunate. The rift was stolen!!
    I am surprised it is not mandatory to get a signature? :o
  • Bavinck1331Bavinck1331 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sorry to hear that! Did you get a quick replacement?
    i am definitely going to send them a complaint and a photo
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    No, actually Oculus never resolved the issue. I was only lucky that i made payment through paypal and they got involved in this dispute, they gave Oculus a time frame to respond and they failed. Paypal refunded me and i bought else where. It is because of this experience i decided to get touch preorder through Amazon which is due to arrive tomorrow. The main thing is u got touch. Enjoy touch :)
  • GtAwyFrmMyRamenGtAwyFrmMyRamen Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    Wait they sent you an email saying they were going to deliver it tomorrow and then delivered it today? xD
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, slightly odd to say the least. Just not impressed that it could have been easily stolen just like nAV2016 had done with his. 
  • DannyMNLDannyMNL Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    As a Dutchman I find it very strange that in the US packages can just get left at the door. Over here no delivery company is allowed to do that. Even if no signature is required they still need to make sure it gets delivered to a person, so they either hand it over to a neighbour and leave a notice in your mailbox, or they will try to deliver it the next day.

I'm also surprised nAV2016 put the blame on Oculus for his package getting stolen, while it's clearly UPS' fault for allowing their drivers to just leave packages unattended at someone's doorstep. 
    ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming OC 6Gb | i7-4790K 4.0Ghz | Crucial Ballistix 16Gb DDR3-1600 | Cooler Master G750M | Windows 10 64-bit | AOC G2460PG G-Sync 144hz 3D-monitor
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am in the sunny sunny (or not) UK so was happy that it was not raining on the package
  • elrealchiquielrealchiqui Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    UPS deliveries are the absolute worst. They are obliged to get a signature but they don't even bother.
  • JustJohnVRJustJohnVR Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Use to be SOP to get a signature from UPS or FedEx, but this seems to no longer be the case.  I'm assuming they dropped it as a means to prevent more backlog as internet shopping has become more prevalent.  Before my wife and I moved, our UPS guy was in the same route as my place of work and would just drop off my expensive looking packages directly to me at work.
  • msm903msm903 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    DannyMNL said:
    As a Dutchman I find it very strange that in the US packages can just get left at the door. Over here no delivery company is allowed to do that. Even if no signature is required they still need to make sure it gets delivered to a person, so they either hand it over to a neighbour and leave a notice in your mailbox, or they will try to deliver it the next day.

I'm also surprised nAV2016 put the blame on Oculus for his package getting stolen, while it's clearly UPS' fault for allowing their drivers to just leave packages unattended at someone's doorstep. 
    In most cases if a vendor chooses to ship with a specific provider they are responsible for the cost of lost of or stolen items, not the buyer in the case. It is not the job of the buy to get the refund from UPS. That is left to Oculus. Oculus in this case chose the shipping company and a product is not received until the buy has it.

I have purchased items from Amazon that UPS claimed they delivered and I never received.I have reported it to Amazon, received a replacement item and I assume Amazon recouped the cost for the lost item from UPS.
  • indy_ukcmindy_ukcm Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    My Touch arrived today ahead of schedule .... dates given - arriving Dec 6 - 13 ... pleasant surprise
    UPS Delivery, signature required

Set up took all of 5mins, was up and running before my kettle even boiled ...... must get a faster kettle :)

Only issue I have is

The Pre-order and bundled games are not available for download

Dead and Buried, Oculus Medium and Quill return error message  "Unable to download, try again later or contact support"

Unspoken, Toy Box and VR Sports Challenge return a "Not Valid" for the Redeem code issued by Oculus
    Despite being listed in my "Not Installed" section of Oculus Home
    Hiro Protagonist
    Indy, I believe the content only becomes available tomorrow so can't be downloaded today - would make sense that it is in your not installed section as it at least shows it is yours :-)
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 736
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    UPS delivered a day early for me too. Luckily someone was here to sign for it. UK here too.

I've waited till after the kettle boils before I even open the box tho :P

Looks like I'll be testing on the steam games I bought. Seems wrong but I can't help myself now lol
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 793
    3Jane
    I just wanted to answer something "snarky", but then....when I bought my Rift (from a guy from classifieds) the FIRST package was indeed also stolen. (The first time this ever happened to me). So the package literally never made it into the DHL truck respective was stolen from the truck. Fortunately, the guy had multiple rifts (he resold them after he bought a bunch with an amazon coupon), and the second package arrived.

PUT YOUR "VALUABLE" THINGS IN A NEUTRAL BOX!!!! The 1st one wasn't, this is why it was stolen.
  • Jamesparker_1Jamesparker_1 Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    Arrgggggghhhhh!!!! Looks like they tried to deliver in the 30minute window that my wife was picking up the kids!!!!

Hiro Protagonist
    Bet you half wish they had just dumped it!
  • Jamesparker_1Jamesparker_1 Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    I'm still hoping I'll go home and find it on the doorstep!! Tracking says they will attempt a second delivery but it doesn't say if that's today or tomorrow!
  • EbonyknightEbonyknight Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    I'm still hoping I'll go home and find it on the doorstep!! Tracking says they will attempt a second delivery but it doesn't say if that's today or tomorrow!
    Tomorrow.  The driver will finish the rest of his rounds and deliver it tomorrow, unless you call them up and complain.  Then they may try to deliver it again at the end of the driver's rounds.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    DannyMNL said:

No it's not UPS fault, they have a driver release policy based upon insurance claims in the area.  If they've had too many claims in an area the driver usually won't leave the package.  Other than that, it is driver discretion.  They have a Signature service that has a cost involved like every other courier that collects signature on delivery.  Oculus has opted not to pay for the service so these are being dropped off based on driver discretion and previous insurance claims on their existing routs.  They also only provide coverage of $100 by default, I'll bet Oculus also does not insure the packages since that too would have a cost involved and if they had, they could have easily filed a claim for nAV2016, but instead they chose to handle it like the Bobs handled Milton from Office Space, they ingnored him because they sound like they don't like confrontation and hoped the problem would fix itself, he's fortunate he paid via a method with chargeback capabilities.  This should illustrate that you should never buy directly from Oculus, use a source that will actually assist you like Amazon and use a credit card or equivilant that gives you the option of chargebacks.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    edited December 2016

Second delivery attempt will be tomorrow, but it's still on the truck now.  You can call them at 1-800-PICK-UPS and give them your tracking number, ask them if you can have the item put on "Same Day Will Call"  That means they'll contact the driver to inform him that he is to set that package aside in the truck, when he returns at the end of his route, they take your package and call you so you can come pick it up today.  Sometimes the driver will re-attempt delivery depending on where he is when he's contacted or if he's passing your location at any time, but that's soley on the driver, the policy is a same day pick up policy and there's not a guarantee they'll be able to do it.  That's if you want to go through the hassle.
  • RiftsRifts Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    UPS tried to deliver to me while I was away as well, but they called me and drove over to the university which I was at and handed it to me personally :) It's insane that they would just leave it at your doorstep.
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    DannyMNL said:

I suppose this is a fair point but Oculus customer services back then was seriously lacking, they did absolutely nothing to resolve a simple situation. UPS held there hands up and took responsiblity for the package not being delivered. Oculus could not move forward and contact UPS to do what was required in these circumstances.
    Paypal came to my rescue and advised me to raise a dispute which i did against Oculus. Oculus simply never responded and paypal had to do what was necessary and automatically refunded me the cost of the rift. I never even till this day have received a follow up email or anything - nothing!!
    Oculus is responsible for letting me down as they could have been more proactive so too me there as much to blame as UPS
    falken76 pretty much sums it all up and highlights the dangers of not paying via a method which offers protection, which myself did not realise the importance of completely till his post.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Well I just had an email saying my touch was delivered to "residential" half an hour ago.
    I'm currently out after picking up the Mrs from work and left just over half an hour ago. 
    I have no doubt it will have been left with a neighbour but that is not what was stipulated. it should have been delivered to my home address only and signed for.
    Luckily I get on pretty well with my neighbours, but if I didn't then there would be he'll to pay. there still might be if I get home and there is no card saying which neighbour has it and no one comes forward.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    i got really lucky with my delivery. Tracking info said that it would be tomorrow, by end of day, yet when i popped home for lunch today, a knock came at the door, about 5 minutes after i had got in, and there it was.

Maybe i'll buy a lottery ticket this week  :)
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    edited December 2016
    I always Hold to Pick Up on big ticket deliveries.  Then you can go get it as soon as the depot opens.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,529 Volunteer Moderator
    I get them delivered to my place of work so I don't have to worry about packages being left on my front porch.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    My local postal service are a bunch of a-holes.   Not only do they leave my valuables just sitting in the apartment breezeway, but they don't even take the time to knock on the door and let me know they're there.   More than once I've been at home, eagerly awaiting a delivery, only to find out it got delivered hours before by those sneaky postal ninjas.

Now I'm signed up for both UPS and FedEx's phone notifications, so I get automatic texts the day before a scheduled delivery, when the delivery person heads out on the road with it, and when they mark it as delivered.  It's a free service, so I highly recommend it to everyone.

(I just hope they don't treat my Touch package like they did an espresso machine I ordered years ago.. don't know exactly what they did but I eventually found it around the corner of my building with the corners of the box all ripped up.  Think they might have been using it as a soccer ball. :astonished:  )

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • mkopack73mkopack73 Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Yeah, my UPS tracking info originally said it was to be delivered tomorrow, but then yesterday it updated to show it's coming today! (UPS usually gets here around 6pm, so we'll see, 45 minutes to go...)

Funny, my UPS tracking info says "Signature Required"... so they shouldn't have just left it on you...  It did give me a good excuse to duck out of work a little early ;)
  • VarilVaril Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Ran into a problem. My SSD i have oculus on ran out of space before i got to the end of the touch library..
  • MrSpoonyMrSpoony Posts: 23
    NerveGear
    I got mine today as well after UPS said they'd deliver tomorrow, a very welcome surprise! Luckily it was 20 minutes before I left for work!