cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help !!! My graphic board stopped working ... now I need some tips !!

Anonymous
Not applicable
My graphic board is GTX 970, it has warped due to the hit or weight. What is the minimum specification for a graphic board in order to play the videos 360 degrees ???  I cant buy the GTX 970 right now. 

Also is it possible to fix the warp issue ???

Looking forward for a reply
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
@stereoman,

Is that easy to apply that paste ? 

Tania said:

Hello   @andyring  .... are you sure the specification can be lower ? What is the minimum ? The 360 videos are my favorite !

Cybereality says don't go lower and he works for Oculus Tania.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

Tania said:

@stereoman,

Is that easy to apply that paste ? 

Yes but ignore that video. You dont go wiping it on. That causes air bubbles and poor spread. You put a dot ( a little more than on a CPU) and then secure the heatsink. That's it, couldnt be easier.

stereoman
Protege
There's an NCIX video where they show there's not much difference how you apply thermal paste, but you are correct the best way to apply it is to use a blob about the size of a pea however GPU's are slightly bigger than CPU's so you can use a bit more and then you just let the heatsink spread it out rather than spread it yourself,

there's more video's on youtube so i'd suggest watching a few if you plan on doing it. I just searched for geforce 970 replace thermal paste.

If the card is dead as in the computer won't post and your display won't come on then I probably wouldn't bother replacing the thermal paste, I think the more likely culprit in that situation would be a powersupply issue or the PCIE connector on the motherboard.

Do you have another computer you could put the card into to see if it works? because if it works in another system you'll at least know the card isn't dead and that way you can rule that out and think about possibly replacing your powersupply or your motherboard.

before you do anything i'd try reseating the card basically that means taking it out and plugging it back into the motherboard and then check all the pcie power connectors are plugged in correctly, you never know could be a simple fix.

leo1954au
Adventurer
I would get a GTX1060 their not much more in price that a GTX970 and a slightly faster card

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
@stereoman why even "correct"me when you go on to admit I am right lol.  Does it matter a lot? naw, but it's still  not the way to do it and I honestly cringe at videos like this. If someones going to make a video showing how to do something, it's kind of a good idea to not do it...wrong.

stereoman
Protege
So you're butt hurt because I agree with you lol, first of all my post was mostly directed  towards Tanyia's issue and  just for the record there's more than one way to effectively apply thermal paste, you can have a pea in the middle, or make an X with the paste or even a line, if you don't believe me watch the video below, it really doesn't make a difference, the only thing that can cause real problems is if you apply too much... sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Right. Cuz I need you and your links to learn something.
"sigh".

Anonymous
Not applicable
@cybereality,

I will search for the AMD RX 470. So it should be ok for the videos, isnt it ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Daddoofly78 and @stereoman

I feel very thankful for the videos but I have never done it before. I have no idea how to fix a graphic board.

Also, besides the warp my technician also detected that the circuit has burned. I mean, the paste is also a solution for burned circuit ??? 

Also, does the oculus works plugged in the mother board ??? Or only in the graphic board ? Sorry abt the stupid question but i really dont know.