New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Please help !!! My graphic board stopped working ... now I need some tips !!

TaniaTania Posts: 131
Art3mis
My graphic board is GTX 970, it has warped due to the hit or weight. What is the minimum specification for a graphic board in order to play the videos 360 degrees ???  I cant buy the GTX 970 right now. 

Also is it possible to fix the warp issue ???

Looking forward for a reply

Answers

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    No idea how that would happen. DO you mean you have "GPU sag" on the PCI-E slot? Don't worry about it. I don't see how you could have actually warped the 970 PCB.
    Does it no longer function?
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,824 Valuable Player
    The GTX 960 is the minimum recommended card .  However ,  if it is only watching videos i'm sure you could go lower . 
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    remove oops
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    See here:
    https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/170128916778795

You should NOT go lower than the GTX 960. The AMD RX 470 is also acceptable.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • stereomanstereoman Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    970 isn't that old, when did you buy it because it might be worth checking your manufacturers warranty, if it's defective you could probably get a replacement

also warping sounds very unlikely unless the card has been seriously overheating, if your card is out of warranty you could try removing the cooler and replacing the thermal paste , check the video below you can buy the paste online, silver stuff is the best.

anyway hope this helps, good luck. 

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 792
    3Jane
    1) remove card and put back in. If possible, try other slot. If the card "warps" (bends down due to weight), use something to prop the card up, like a box, styrofoam etc.

2) Used GTX 970 is rather cheap, check on classifieds.

Stereoman yes, but this likely won't revive a "dead" card. Just saying.
  • TaniaTania Posts: 131
    Art3mis
    Thank you, guys !

I will consider one by one of those tips. 

@Daddoofly78 .. No way, it doesnt work.

Art3mis
    Hello   @andyring  .... are you sure the specification can be lower ? What is the minimum ? The 360 videos are my favorite !
    Art3mis
    Hello   @andyring  .... are you sure the specification can be lower ? What is the minimum ? The 360 videos are my favorite ! I dont need any better. The Gigabyte in Brazil gives us only 1 year warranty which  Its not enough. The Gigabyte boards frequently bends. The current boards has a protection at both sides. 
    Art3mis
    @stereoman,

Is that easy to apply that paste ? 
    Tania said:
    Hello   @andyring  .... are you sure the specification can be lower ? What is the minimum ? The 360 videos are my favorite !
    Cybereality says don't go lower and he works for Oculus Tania.
    3Jane
    Tania said:
    @stereoman,

Is that easy to apply that paste ? 

Yes but ignore that video. You dont go wiping it on. That causes air bubbles and poor spread. You put a dot ( a little more than on a CPU) and then secure the heatsink. That's it, couldnt be easier.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    There's an NCIX video where they show there's not much difference how you apply thermal paste, but you are correct the best way to apply it is to use a blob about the size of a pea however GPU's are slightly bigger than CPU's so you can use a bit more and then you just let the heatsink spread it out rather than spread it yourself,

there's more video's on youtube so i'd suggest watching a few if you plan on doing it. I just searched for geforce 970 replace thermal paste.

If the card is dead as in the computer won't post and your display won't come on then I probably wouldn't bother replacing the thermal paste, I think the more likely culprit in that situation would be a powersupply issue or the PCIE connector on the motherboard.

Do you have another computer you could put the card into to see if it works? because if it works in another system you'll at least know the card isn't dead and that way you can rule that out and think about possibly replacing your powersupply or your motherboard.

before you do anything i'd try reseating the card basically that means taking it out and plugging it back into the motherboard and then check all the pcie power connectors are plugged in correctly, you never know could be a simple fix.
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 375
    Nexus 6
    I would get a GTX1060 their not much more in price that a GTX970 and a slightly faster card
    3Jane
    stereoman why even "correct"me when you go on to admit I am right lol.  Does it matter a lot? naw, but it's still  not the way to do it and I honestly cringe at videos like this. If someones going to make a video showing how to do something, it's kind of a good idea to not do it...wrong.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    So you're butt hurt because I agree with you lol, first of all my post was mostly directed  towards Tanyia's issue and  just for the record there's more than one way to effectively apply thermal paste, you can have a pea in the middle, or make an X with the paste or even a line, if you don't believe me watch the video below, it really doesn't make a difference, the only thing that can cause real problems is if you apply too much... sigh.

3Jane
    Right. Cuz I need you and your links to learn something.
    "sigh".
    Art3mis
    @cybereality,

I will search for the AMD RX 470. So it should be ok for the videos, isnt it ? 

Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    @Daddoofly78 and @stereoman

I feel very thankful for the videos but I have never done it before. I have no idea how to fix a graphic board.

Also, besides the warp my technician also detected that the circuit has burned. I mean, the paste is also a solution for burned circuit ??? 

Also, does the oculus works plugged in the mother board ??? Or only in the graphic board ? Sorry abt the stupid question but i really dont know.
  • YbalridYbalrid Posts: 248
    Art3mis
    @Tania Can you please post a picture of your graphics card here? So that we can actually see how bad the damage is. (but from what you are explaining it sounds like the only thing you can do is buy a new one :s) .

And no, it will not work plugged on the motherboard, you need an actual graphics card for the rift, sorry.
    CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
    3Jane
    Tania said:
    @Daddoofly78 and @stereoman

I feel very thankful for the videos but I have never done it before. I have no idea how to fix a graphic board.

Also, besides the warp my technician also detected that the circuit has burned. I mean, the paste is also a solution for burned circuit ??? 

Also, does the oculus works plugged in the mother board ??? Or only in the graphic board ? Sorry abt the stupid question but i really dont know.
    Naw Tania, the thermal paste has nothing to do with  burned circuitry or fixing burned circuitry. He just meant  taking the cooler off, blowing out the dust, reapplying the thermal paste is a good first step. From there would reseat it, and assure the 6/8 pin cable is plugged in.

If it still doesn't work, it's off to RMA. 
    Tania,  can i just check that you are using a consumer version Rift?  I only ask because i know up until now you have asked questions about the DK2.
    Art3mis
    @andyring 

I have the DK2.
    Art3mis
    @Ybalrid

Thank you ... but unfortunately  I am travelling and I dont have it with me to take a pic.  
    I am terriblely sorry. 
    edited December 2016
    Tania said:
    @andyring 

I have the DK2.
    You can go lower than the GTX 970 then Tania.

I recommend starting a new thread in General asking what card is sufficient for 360 videos using the DK2.
    Art3mis
    @andyring,

Thank you. I will do that, dear. 
  • YbalridYbalrid Posts: 248
    Art3mis
    DK2 being at lower screen resolution and refresh rate, it's less taxing for the hardware, so a less expensive card can do, especially if it's just for watching 360° videos!
    CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
    Art3mis
    @Ybalrid .... like what kind of card for example ? What minimum specification do you recommend ? GTX 960 as well ? Thanks !
    3Jane
    No don't get a 960, get a 1050. Previous gen cards are rendered obsolete with the existence of the 10xx series.
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    @andyring  and @Ybalrid
    THANK YOU, GUYS !
    NOW I HAVE TO THINK WHAT TO DO !