Ceiling tracking in guardian would be sweet — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Ceiling tracking in guardian would be sweet

Jayt0302Jayt0302 Posts: 16
NerveGear
I don't know how many times I clobbered my ceiling last night trying to throw a fireball or football. would be cool if they implemented a dimension for ceilings too. kinda how they ask how tall you are for the floor, ask how tall the ceiling is as well

Anyone else punch their ceiling? 

Comments

• danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    i currently have a loft so my ceiling is like 20 ft
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • LVNeptuneLVNeptune Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Only time I've hit my ceiling is playing Climbey =/

danknugz said:
    i currently have a loft so my ceiling is like 20 ft

Cool story.
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    nearly broke a vive wand on  my ceiling fan playing VR Sports last night!

I just hope the touch controllers are as durable as the vive sticks, as they will be slammed into walls and ceiling fans without fail!

Unfortunatelly my Touchs won't be here until Thursday...
  • MrWonderstuffMrWonderstuff Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I have a really low ceiling and have reguarly hit it. Has put me off buying any games where I need to reach up. 
  • SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    I punched my monitor really hard last night, playing NVidia fun house.
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    I've got a light fixture / chandelier that hangs down and is reachable in the center of my computer room, i've smacked it a few times and killed 5 lightbulbs already.... Definitely need a better place to play.
  • MrSpoonyMrSpoony Posts: 23
    NerveGear
    I punched my light shade a couple of times. I don't really like guardian, it glows far too brightly, I probably need a bigger room so that I have more space for it!
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,309
    Wintermute
    me too.  i have barely the minimum space and the guardian walls are always visible.  I can't turn them off, as that would be suicide, so it looks like i will just need to buy a bigger house.  :)

• bsselpbsselp Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    Greyman said:
    me too.  i have barely the minimum space and the guardian walls are always visible.  I can't turn them off, as that would be suicide, so it looks like i will just need to buy a bigger house.  :)

Is there an option to turn the guardian walls off? I have a 5x7 play space with interlocking mats attached to the walls (to keep flailing hands, sensors and wands from being destroyed) so I don't need the guardian...my walls tell me when ive gone too far :)
  • assettomioassettomio Posts: 413
    Nexus 6
    Now that you mention it, my ceiling lights hang low and the shades are all glass..
    Btw it can track the height of the controllers and the headset, so I don't see any reason why setting a height boundary wouldn't work
  • VetkinVetkin Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    I tapped the ceiling a few times in first contact trying to grab cans floating above my head. Also punched the ceiling once trying to do a jump shot in the basketball game in VR sports. Usually when I hit the ceiling it's with a fast motion that guardian probably wouldn't prevent. I'm not even always looking up when it happens.
  • aweisbergaweisberg Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Necroposting rather then creating a new thread. This really would be a great feature. It's so on the simple side it that it's a no brainer to add as an opt-in even if making it on by default isn't possible. It would be nice to be able to set two heights. The height of the ceiling, and optionally the height for the touch controllers at which the boundary appears. 

In my case I think just knowing where exactly the boundary in VR occasionally would be enough for me to plan ahead and avoid hitting the ceiling. No knowing that the boundary is there at all is what causes trouble.

The ceiling in my VR room is just 7.5 feet! If only I had that extra 1/2 foot I would clear it no problem. I ended up whacking the ceiling and my hand very hard grabbing a rocket in Robo Recall.

And hey while we are at it maybe developers should take into consideration ceiling height when designing their games.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 498
    Trinity