New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

vrcinema3D

Comments

• WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    VR Cinema 3D v 0.3 was announced yesterday, with some updates including an eye sync fix!

• I don't see it at his UXground page, still listing version .2, did you find it uploaded somewhere?
  • leitecunhaleitecunha Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    He hasn't uploaded it yet... he's fixing a bug with the new file browser.

From a comment on Youtube: "Thank you guys. Actually I made a feature of file manager to select movie files, but it has some bugs. So when I fix this problem, I will upload new version."
  • Ahh.... yeah, good point, ok, hurry up and wait then :D .
  • edulinaresedulinares Posts: 275
    Fantastic. VRCinema3D is a must have. Eagerly waiting for the new version :D
  • SomebodySomebody Posts: 29
    Attetion everyone!!!

I dont want to sound like a party pooper :? , but I find this important to share.

Yesterday I came home, did some reading in our wonderful forums, and discovered this really great sounding
    3d movie theather app. As you have.

I went ahead, download it, unziped it, and ran it. In middle of selecting my seat, (while oculating), my screen flashed and went black. Not just on my oculus vr but also my tv, which then was followed by no signal. I restarted my pc, after I went thru my list of things before I restart (msconfig/startup, etc.) pc came back on and gave me an error. insert start up disc or reboot. Basicly my start up was damaged. I know what you must be thinking. I turned something off in MSconfig start up. I actually didnt. Everything that I wanted unchecked was unchecked and vise versa.

so to get my pc up and running I went thru Bios setup. Selected a start up and came back on.

Now I was pissed thinking someone messed with my pc, especially since I have new games installed in last few days.

My screen, would stay on for about 5-10 min and go blank to no signal input. restart. same over and over. I ended up restoring my pc to about a month back. just to be on the safe side.

This problem seems to just not go away, as I just had my screen go black and no input while I am typing. FFFFF....

So I just wanna warn you all I think this file has caused DAMAGED to my pc.

If anyone else is having trouble with this please share, if you have a solution for me PLEASE SHARE. and I am sorry if its not this file or software that caused this, but all my sources and evidence points to it.

p.s. main reason why is because it hasnt done this before this app. You DECIDE
  • NedoNedo Posts: 295
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Somebody

did u installaed a new Graphics Card Driver lately ? If yes, what version.
    Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016
    Brain Burst
    Honestly it seems like a hardware problem, with the VR Cinema 3D part being just a coincidence. These things happen, and when they do they can happen anytime, when running any application. Let's consider that no one else has reported such a problem with this software.

This reminds me when I was a kid and I put a floppy disk game of mine in a neighbor's computer and shortly after that the screen went black. My neighbor told me a few days later that his parents had prohibited inviting me because of this; sure, shortly after that they found out it was just that the monitor had died and I had nothing to do with this. :roll:
  • Somebody wrote:
    Attetion everyone!!!

I dont want to sound like a party pooper :? , but I find this important to share.

Yesterday I came home, did some reading in our wonderful forums, and discovered this really great sounding

I went ahead, download it, unziped it, and ran it. In middle of selecting my seat, (while oculating), my screen flashed and went black. Not just on my oculus vr but also my tv, which then was followed by no signal. I restarted my pc, after I went thru my list of things before I restart (msconfig/startup, etc.) pc came back on and gave me an error. insert start up disc or reboot. Basicly my start up was damaged. I know what you must be thinking. I turned something off in MSconfig start up. I actually didnt. Everything that I wanted unchecked was unchecked and vise versa.

so to get my pc up and running I went thru Bios setup. Selected a start up and came back on.

Now I was pissed thinking someone messed with my pc, especially since I have new games installed in last few days.

My screen, would stay on for about 5-10 min and go blank to no signal input. restart. same over and over. I ended up restoring my pc to about a month back. just to be on the safe side.

This problem seems to just not go away, as I just had my screen go black and no input while I am typing. FFFFF....

If anyone else is having trouble with this please share, if you have a solution for me PLEASE SHARE. and I am sorry if its not this file or software that caused this, but all my sources and evidence points to it.

You have hardware or configuration issues in your rig. It has nothing to do with this software.
  • AdamsImmersiveAdamsImmersive Posts: 166
    Hiro Protagonist
    DannySwish wrote:
    This looks great, but do you think making a Mac version would be possible? I have Windows 7 on a partition, but I'd rather avoid using it if possible. Windows is the bane to my existence. :?

Yes, a Mac version would be great; my Mac only has Windows XP at the moment :oops:

Or is there any other VR movie player for Mac?
    Morgan
    Mac OS XUnity
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,847
    Neo
    Walky wrote:
    This reminds me when I was a kid and I put a floppy disk game of mine in a neighbor's computer and shortly after that the screen went black. My neighbor told me a few days later that his parents had prohibited inviting me because of this; sure, shortly after that they found out it was just that the monitor had died and I had nothing to do with this. :roll:

That story would make a great addition to Aesop's Fables! :)
  • LucidRealityLucidReality Posts: 197
    Hiro Protagonist
    Somebody wrote:
    Attetion everyone!!!

Sounds like a hardware problem, my good friend :?
    Brain Burst
    drash wrote:
    Walky wrote:

That story would make a great addition to Aesop's Fables! :)

"The Grasshopper and Leisure Suit Larry" :lol:
  • v0.3 is out.

https://share.oculusvr.com/app/1377300026335dp071fw29

Update list
    - Fixed the eye-sync issue.
    - You can switch LR / RL, TB/ BT mode. Stereo buttons are toggle buttons now.
    - VR Cinema now supports gamepad input (e.g. Xbox controller)
    - You can go to any scene of the movie by clicking on the time bar.
    - The theater more brighten
    - Updated to Oculus SDK 0.2.3

Notice
    - Current version of this program does not provide a function of browsing video files.

- You don't need to convert the video files to “avi” file format. Just change your movie file name. If you don't have any codec, I recommend installing K-Lite codec pack 32-bit version or CCCP codec pack (Don't install K-Lite 64-bit version. It will cause a problem)

- I used AVPro windows media unity plugin to play movies. This plugin can be activated only in Microsoft Windows (32bit and 64bit) ( http://www.renderheads.com/portfolio/UnityAVProWindowsMedia/)

- VR Cinema is allowed for all whom to use this program private purpose only.

- Please feel free to email me for any bugs, requests and so on. My email address is “[email protected]

- Current version of this app is beta version 0.3. (August 10. 2013)
    Mike
    Neo
    Yup, eye sync problem is indeed fixed. That is so great!

Had a trippy moment just now -- watched a little bit of Tron Legacy 3D... and while I was seeing 3D, I started to try to look around myself as if the movie was VR. Then I thought "oh woops, I'm watching a 3D movie, not wearing the Rift" (said the guy wearing a Rift).
  • evil1evil1 Posts: 51
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2013
    I have created a file selector for this :-

You select the video file .avi, .mkv etc. and the program automatically creates a symbolic link file called movie.avi to the original file, it then launches the executable VR_Cinema.exe. when you close down vrcinema the file movie.avi is automatically deleted.

NOTES:

This program will only work on Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 (executable is compiled for 32bit so will work on both 32 and 64bit OS's) - XP does not support sym links.

The VR cinema executable needs to be called VR_Cinema.exe and you need to place the vrcin.exe file in the same folder as the VR cinema executable, the VR cinema folder needs to reside on a drive formatted with NTFS. The movie file that you select can be on a network share but the VR cinema executable cannot. This is because you cannot create a symbolic link on a network share.

The program requests admin rights because the mklink command requires elevated privileges.

All the program does is read the path and filename of the movie file you selected and then runs mklink movie.avi "path\to\original\movie\file" then after you exit vrcinema 3d it deletes the movie.avi (linked file)

If you run this program when there is already a file called movie.avi it will not be able to create the link so delete the movie.avi file first before running this program.

Link to vrcin.exe app below

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hosqheyy4hdct65/vrcin.exe?token_hash=AAGH73b-668r2DXBrnJ7qdVi-pNq2ZJcnaSrzABfgapnMw&dl=1

I know this is a work around, but it sure beats copying and renaming files all the time.

EDIT - just noticed the file selector was only showing .MKV files, I have updated the file and it is now showing .AVI, .WMV, .MPG and .MKV

EDIT - 27-08-13 - Supports more extensions and does not delete the movie.avi file, it creates one if it does not exist (as before) and prompts you if one does (if movie.avi exists you will be asked if you want to replace it)
  • JonathanCJonathanC Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Ok i don't understand how you can play other files than avi in the program. The unity plugin mentioned above cost 200$, i don't that kind of money to spend of this. I would love to watch Jurassic park 3d in the VRCinema but the file is mkv and i can't seem to make it work. I was thinking of converting it to avi using Handbreak but it seems Handbreak doesn't convert to avi anymore. Any suggestion/recommendation to play/convert my .mkv Jurassic Park movie? Thanks.

By the way, i tried just changing the extension, doesn't work, and yes i have CCCP codecs and ect, i can play the file on its own.
    Brain Burst
    I don't know what to tell you JonathanC other than that there is no need to convert from one format to another.
    Any movie file that you place in the same folder as VR Cinema and rename to movie.avi will play fine as long as you have the correct codecs installed. Maybe you have file extensions hidden in the OS so that when you think you have renamed a file to movie.avi you have in fact named it to e.g. movie.mkv.avi, in this situation the OS will display the file as movie.avi but in fact the file is really named movie.mkv.avi.

Assuming you have renamed the file correctly then it should play back fine, if the virtual cinema screen is white then it is a codec issue and if the virtual cinema screen remains black then it is because the program (VR cinema) cannot see the movie.avi file (the reason for this I mentioned above).

Have you tried the application I posted above? this will create the file for you with the correct extension, at least this would rule out the OS hiding the extension.
    Neo
    evil1 wrote:
    I have created a file selector for this

This works great! Thank you for doing this. :)
    JonathanC wrote:
    The unity plugin mentioned above cost 200$, i don't that kind of money to spend of this.

I think that's just something the developer had to buy to make this play without eye-sync problems. End users like us don't need to pay for that (unless you wanted to donate to thank the developer of course).
    Brain Burst
    You're welcome drash, it only took me about 20 minutes max to code and compile :-), I should of done this when vrcinema was originally released.
    Brain Burst
    I made a video featuring the new 0.3 version, it shows most of the features:

• madmickmadmick Posts: 134
    What video is that playing Walky it's awesome
    Brain Burst
    Weekender Girl, such a happy happy catchy song :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06d8SwcSm_Q
  • quintessequintesse Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    @evil1 : nice work, but could you maybe:

- not delete the movie.avi afterwards? (or make it an option)

- be able to somehow pass command line parameters to the VR_Cinema.exe (in my case I want to pass "-adpater 1")

- add a *.* filter in the file type dropdown because the current one is missing several file types (it doesn't let me select mp4s for example)

Cheers! :)
    Brain Burst
    Ok I have made a few changes :-

The application now allows selection of the following file formats :-
    (*.avi*.wmv*.mkv*.mpg*.3gp*.mov*.mp4)

The application no longer deletes the movie.avi file, first it checks if one exists and if not creates one as before. If the application sees that there is already a movie.avi file there it will ask you if you want to replace it. (but if you don't want to replace it you might as well just run VR_Cinema.exe directly ;-))
    quintesse wrote:
    - be able to somehow pass command line parameters to the VR_Cinema.exe (in my case I want to pass "-adpater 1")

Do you mean that you want the application to be able to put VR_Cinema on the extended screen e.g. the rift?
  • jweaverjweaver Posts: 174
    Hiro Protagonist
    I finally got around to testing version 0.3 and have a problem. The video displayed on the screen is slow and jerky...

The view of the cinema is fine.. But the video playing is now.. Interestingly, if I press the right button to bring up the overlay, the video then plays normally.. But as soon as I close it, its back to being jerky again

Tested 0.2 with EXACTLY the same movie file and its OK, so there is something about 0.3...

Anyone else have a problem?

Jon
    Brain Burst
    I know what you mean, I'm getting a bad framerate unless I open the menu, but only with 1080p movies (not sure if all of them), the rest of the movies work fine. At first I assumed that the program was now more demanding on the GPU side, probably because of the frame delay fix (the author mentioned it was not an easy fix), but the overlay fixing it sure makes it look like a bug. This also lowers performance overall, including the scenery (stuttering when looking around), can you check if the same happens to you?. What video card do you have? Mine is a GT240, which is pretty outdated and might contribute to the problem to a certain degree (running smooth on 0.2, though). Anyway, since the menu overlay fixes it, it might be easy to fix. Let's hope so, as I love this program. :D
  • leitecunhaleitecunha Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    My card is a GTX680... pretty good, and even with it I get the same stutter when looking around... :(
    But I gotta say, this was happening with the other version too (0.2). I don't know... perhaps the plugin used to render the video (AVPRO Windows Media) is not so fast in Unity.
  • jweaverjweaver Posts: 174
    Hiro Protagonist
    Walky wrote:
    I know what you mean, I'm getting a bad framerate unless I open the menu, but only with 1080p movies (not sure if all of them), the rest of the movies work fine. At first I assumed that the program was now more demanding on the GPU side, probably because of the frame delay fix (the author mentioned it was not an easy fix), but the overlay fixing it sure makes it look like a bug. This also lowers performance overall, including the scenery (stuttering when looking around), can you check if the same happens to you?. What video card do you have? Mine is a GT240, which is pretty outdated and might contribute to the problem to a certain degree (running smooth on 0.2, though). Anyway, since the menu overlay fixes it, it might be easy to fix. Let's hope so, as I love this program. :D

My card is a HD7770, so just average.. 0.3 is unusable for me, atleast with the clps i have tried.. It looks like a 1930s movie... 0.2 is completely dfferent as the video plays exactly like it does in Media Player.. So i am going to stick with 0.2 for now.
    Brain Burst
    Have you tried 720p movies?