cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things

CrashFu
Consultant
Second session with Touch, got into the VR Sports and was playing the Hockey game. Got a liiiiiittle too eager to swat an incoming puck and punched my right-hand Touch into a desk.   Had to scrub it like hell with rubbing alcohol and paper towels (I hope the right choice?) to get the white paint mark off, but there's still a scuff/scar in the plastic, as you can see here:

bzoem5nqgs0d.jpg

Merely cosmetic damage, of course.  Touch controls are indestructible, practically speaking :+1:

Incidentally, this made me realize just how ingenious the Touch's ring/cuff shaped design is.   That outer ring will definitely protect your hand if you swing into something, and likely absorbs impacts enough to protect more sensitive parts in the handle / face of the controls, whereas (to my knowledge) there's nothing important IN the ring itself except for the internal IR lights.

How about you guys?  Photos of any related damage are encouraged.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
78 REPLIES 78

So we can officially use them as knuckle dusters?   😄
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

CrashFu
Consultant

andyring said:

So we can officially use them as knuckle dusters?   😄

Maybe that's is why it took them so long to get approval from the FDA or FCC or whatever it was. :hushed:

But short answer, yeah sort of! You'd have to swing them sideways or downwards, though. :wink:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So last night I tried Superhot and punched the wall, luckily not too hard but had to rub off some paint marks! 

Funniest was playing Dead and Buried 2v2 and got way too into it, I threw some dynamite in the game and threw my controller with it! Good thing I had the straps on!

Wheatabits
Expert Protege
Last night showing my wife how awesome I was at basketball in VR Sports I launced a sweet jump shot...ANNNND smashed my hand right into the overhead light fixture haha!  Fortunately it didn't break or come down on my head, but that's what I was expecting and the controller seems unharmed.  The immersion is real guys.

@FrozenPea I have done the EXACT same thing.  Probably thrown my controller 3-4 times in Dead and Buried and once in the Bullet Train demo (had the straps on thank goodness).  I think it's a testament to how easily you forget you have controllers in your hand.  I never threw a WiiMote in the years I played.

Distant2k
Explorer
Bullet Train trying to catch rockets - now have a lovely dent in the plaster board. 

Touch Controller is fine thank god. Stuff the plaster board!

EmberFox
Protege
Lol i was being super careful not to hit anything with mine & then my boyfriend wanted to try, i lectured him over & over "my room is too small, DO NOT fully extend your arm outward to throw or you will hit something" ...10 minutes later in job simulator i heard a bang & turned around to see him standing there with the orange paint from my wall scraped onto two parts of the controller *^* ohhhh i rung him out as i proceeded to scrub & cradle my controller, does have a little scratches on the ring & right above the top trigger u.u 
My cousin is coming over to day to try it & now im super nervous lol 

cdmoore74
Protege
I "gently" glazed the controllers into my desk and wall but I definitely have to clear more space in my play area.  I'm so paranoid right now it may make more sense just to buy another Touch bundle for $200 to have spare controllers vs paying $80 for the third sensor to have room scale.  Have any of you guys went that route?  

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't hit anything yet but when I gave my brother it, he managed to punch a few things playing superhot! Fortunately no marks on my controllers!   I'm gonna have to move my room around to make more space.

When I played I was a bit more careful with Superhot, taking into account my surrounds before I plan my move.

With Dead and Buried, it's mostly shooting forward, so not really a problem... but superhot tends to be one I worry about most, especially with those punches. 

Looks like they've made these controllers fairly strong though.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'v had a couple of close misses but I did stand on the cable whilst playing basketball. Luckely it just pulled of the cable clip on the hmd.