cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Add a strength control to the smooth tool.

Johnny3D
Protege
Changing the size of the smooth tool is nice, but I would also like the ability to change the strength of the smoothing as well. Perhaps a "settings menu" slider to adjust the strength?
12 REPLIES 12

bhsharp
Protege
Yeah, it does actually modulate strength with how hard you pull the trigger, but on low-res sculpts even the gentlest pull can still really annihilate detail faster than you want.

Also Are you wanting to smooth *slower*, or smooth *faster*? If you're wanting to smooth faster, that's a different issue. When you're working at really high sculpt resolutions, the way we smooth just doesn't change the model very quickly. I have some ideas about that, just gotta carve out some time to try them out.

Johnny3D
Protege
I didn't realize that the smooth controls were analog on the trigger, that's good to know (man would I love to read some documentation on this, but I can't find any). I would actually like to smooth faster. I was working on some skin on the wings of my dragon and found myself standing there trying to smooth what I had done so far without a lot of success. Essentially I had put thicker clay in a rough shape that I wanted the skin to be and then removed material until it was somewhat smooth (using a large round clay tool). What I was hoping to do was to smooth out some of the peaks and valleys that were left from me attempting to make the "skin", but the smooth tool didn't seem to want to get those peaks and valleys smoothed out quite as much as I had hoped it would. Maybe I'm just going about it the wrong way.

Here's a pic of the dragon to help illustrate what I'm talking about.
ynumgyope9qy.jpg

Johnny3D
Protege
Oh... I should note that I'm currently sculpting at the default resolution and have not stepped up the resolution yet (because I cannot seem to figure out how to step back down in resolution for blocking in shapes before working on detail).

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
First off - That dragon is looking beyond awesome!

I second the motion for strength control on smooth. Also want strength control to inflate/deflate, too and anywhere else it's not present (just in case) 

BTW - how did you fill the dragon wings? I tried something similar last night but couldn't think of a way to do it. Normal 2-d way would be to mesh it in.

Johnny3D
Protege
Thanks! Like I described above I filled in the area where I wanted the skin in the wings with thick clay and then used a large sphere clay tool with remove turned on to take away the excess, leaving a fairly thin section of skin. It isn't perfect, but it worked out alright.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Cheers. I've noticed I'm using these familiar tools in all sorts of weird and wonderful new ways. Using subtract a lot more than before, especially now I've discovered the primitives. 

BTW - accidental tip of the night for me is double tapping the palette button for instant eyedropper! (missed the sub/add flip)

Roaster
Rising Star
What you need is sandpaper. Or the equivalent of a scraper.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

bhsharp
Protege
@P3nT4gR4m  - found the alt tool modifier yet? 😉

(Pull support hand trigger to temporarily switch to another tool. Default is smooth. Set it by pulling support hand trigger while pointing to a tool on the tool tray - little yellow arrow at the base tells you which is set.)

bhsharp
Protege
Also, @P3nT4gR4m , inflate / deflate DEFINITELY do strength control with the trigger pull, and that works pretty well. (Very slight trigger pull inflates/deflates very slowly.) Important for finesse in doing surface detailing.