New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium Releases & Updates

Comments

• narshnarsh Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    FIXED IT! The problem both for Quill AND Medium was that I was running MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner as I normally do. They were causing a negative interaction with both of these programs and causing the massive stuttering and artifacting in Quill and the OpenGL error code and game crash of Medium. If you've got these issues, and you run Afterburner and RivaTuner, quit the programs and the games will run! SCORE! I've tested both games turning the programs on and off, problems come back when Afterburner and Riva are running, and go away when quit. Phew. 
    Nice!  Fixed for me as well.  Afterburner and Riva were the problem.  Thanks for the help.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    Didn't tried Medium yet (Touch land in 10 days). My monitor will stay a "Generic PnP" in device manager as it's an LCD FullHD TV without any drivers (obviously). I hope this problem will be fixed...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• msm903msm903 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    for me disabling Afterburner worked also. I just need to remember to turn it back on after I am done.
  • YbalridYbalrid Posts: 248
    Art3mis
    One good thing is that even if you close Afterburner your overclock will still be applied
    CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    some bugs here too....but its so awesome i love this and the touch controllers ....thank you guys. :)
  • rodney.huffrodney.huff Posts: 5 Oculus Staff
    YoLolo69 said:
    Didn't tried Medium yet (Touch land in 10 days). My monitor will stay a "Generic PnP" in device manager as it's an LCD FullHD TV without any drivers (obviously). I hope this problem will be fixed...
    Yes, this will be fixed in an upcoming release.
    Art3mis
    I'm not really a creative person. I can model things with polygons in blender, I tried 3D sculpting software before (sculptris, a free things from the guys that do zbrush I think) and I was hopeless with that ^^"

Medium, on the other hand feels a lot more natural. Probably because you're joust doing stuff with your hands and you can 1:1 move and scale stuff and you're in front of your model, like you are manipulating actual "digital" clay. I have to put some time into it but just messing around with it is quite fun. Glad you put it free after Touch activation (same goes for Quill but I'm less exited about drawing, I want to output 3D models of this thing, and maybe print them or use them in VR content!)

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    msm903 said:
    for me disabling Afterburner worked also. I just need to remember to turn it back on after I am done.

Same here.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • DumbunnyDumbunny Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    FIXED IT! The problem both for Quill AND Medium was that I was running MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner as I normally do. They were causing a negative interaction with both of these programs and causing the massive stuttering and artifacting in Quill and the OpenGL error code and game crash of Medium. If you've got these issues, and you run Afterburner and RivaTuner, quit the programs and the games will run! SCORE! I've tested both games turning the programs on and off, problems come back when Afterburner and Riva are running, and go away when quit. Phew. 
    Thx, Turning off Afterburner fixed the problem for me. Medium is awesome!!!
  • smogzysmogzy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Really would like to import .obj files from 3d scans. Is this possible through any 3rd party software?
  • TheRedCowTheRedCow Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I Thought of a really cool feature to add to medium. The ability to bring up reference photos from a directory on your PC so then you wouldn't need to take off the headset to see your reference and it would overall be a more seamless experience 
  • SmallpolySmallpoly Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Hey, would really like to see an autosave function. I lost my first model in a crash.
    Something that also generates a low poly mesh, unwraps, and bakes normals, occlusion, etc. from the high poly would really make my day. Maybe in a few years?
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    TheRedCow said:
    I Thought of a really cool feature to add to medium. The ability to bring up reference photos from a directory on your PC so then you wouldn't need to take off the headset to see your reference and it would overall be a more seamless experience 
    This one has been suggested a few times. Oculus has responded they are indeed trying to work out a way to do this. Agree though, will be nice when it's added!
    Art3mis
    TheRedCow said:
    This one has been suggested a few times. Oculus has responded they are indeed trying to work out a way to do this. Agree though, will be nice when it's added!
    Just throwing an idea here, but putting images on planes and making them semi-transparent seems to be a good way to do so. And even may be interesting to be able to make that plain the active symmetry plane in one click ;-)

• OutatimeTVOutatimeTV Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    smogzy said:
    Really would like to import .obj files from 3d scans. Is this possible through any 3rd party software?
    You can import any OBJ file as a stamp. Just put the file into "my documents/medium/_import" folder and import it inside medium.
  • GherronGherron Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    I can't wait for Christmas so I can get my Touch and start sculpting!

Question:  If I am trying to create a model based on a picture, is there any way to upload that picture and view it while modeling?  It would be nice to have a floating easel or some type of floating plane to display my reference material.

Thanks!
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @Gherron Not yet but Brain mentioned it's the works :)
  • GherronGherron Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    FrozenPea said:
    @Gherron Not yet but Brain mentioned it's the works :)
    Excellent.  I'm definitely an amateur artist who can't quite visualize without the reference material right in front of me.  
    @Gherron yeah same here, I just keep my references on my monitor and quickly pop my HMD up and have a peek! :)
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,709 Valuable Player
    Same here, hence anything I post is about as anatomically precise as a ken-doll that's been left in front of an electric fire for too long  :D
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    narsh said:
    Nice!  Fixed for me as well.  Afterburner and Riva were the problem.  Thanks for the help.
    not for me no probs with afterburner and riva tuner. greez
  • AxelFauxleyAxelFauxley Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Gadget73 said:
    Help! Medium is not working! Right eye view is heavily distorted and the left eye has many artifacts. It is unusable. Using a R9 390 with latest drivers. 
    I'm having the same issue. I bought the Oculus specifically for this app after testing it at a convention. 

My right vision is really distorted and there are horizontal lines shooting out from the object and the controllers. 

Count me in this demographic as well. Limited vision in right eye and lines coming from tools
  • niqhtniqht Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Is this Rivatuner breaking thing getting fixed as well? Please? Very odd cuz Quill works fine (and every other game) but Medium won't. At least it isn't a demanding game so my fan curves aren't as important.
  • Hman64Hman64 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Having issues with Generic PNP monitor waiting on Fix hopefully soon it will not load another driver 
  • YimboSlyceYimboSlyce Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    Gadget73 said:
    Help! Medium is not working! Right eye view is heavily distorted and the left eye has many artifacts. It is unusable. Using a R9 390 with latest drivers. 
    I'm having the same issue. I bought the Oculus specifically for this app after testing it at a convention. 

My right vision is really distorted and there are horizontal lines shooting out from the object and the controllers. 

I am having the same issue.  Nothing I have tried has fixed it.

Edit:  I thought I had the most up to date drive but apparently I didn't.  I have updated my driver and it now runs great.  I had to go to AMD's website to get the latest driver.  The Radeon App didn't show I needed to update.
    Glad to see we are getting updates already! :)
  • cowcarcowcar Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Is there a guide on how to actually import an OBJ file as a stamp?  I haven't been able to figure it out so far.  I saw the input and stamps folder in the medium directory, tried putting a file into both, and I saw the section in the menu for user stamps and the import button but I can't get anything to show up.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious, or maybe the OBJ file I'm trying to use is too large or who knows. 
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    cowcar said:
    Is there a guide on how to actually import an OBJ file as a stamp?  I haven't been able to figure it out so far.  I saw the input and stamps folder in the medium directory, tried putting a file into both, and I saw the section in the menu for user stamps and the import button but I can't get anything to show up.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious, or maybe the OBJ file I'm trying to use is too large or who knows. 
    That's all I've ever done. put obj in the import>stamp folder and in the custom tab of stamps in game I click import.

The obj has to be closed so if it has any holes might be your issue
  • cowcarcowcar Posts: 16
    NerveGear

The obj has to be closed so if it has any holes might be your issue
    Ahhhhhh that must be it.  Cheers