cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things

CrashFu
Consultant
Second session with Touch, got into the VR Sports and was playing the Hockey game. Got a liiiiiittle too eager to swat an incoming puck and punched my right-hand Touch into a desk.   Had to scrub it like hell with rubbing alcohol and paper towels (I hope the right choice?) to get the white paint mark off, but there's still a scuff/scar in the plastic, as you can see here:

bzoem5nqgs0d.jpg

Merely cosmetic damage, of course.  Touch controls are indestructible, practically speaking :+1:

Incidentally, this made me realize just how ingenious the Touch's ring/cuff shaped design is.   That outer ring will definitely protect your hand if you swing into something, and likely absorbs impacts enough to protect more sensitive parts in the handle / face of the controls, whereas (to my knowledge) there's nothing important IN the ring itself except for the internal IR lights.

How about you guys?  Photos of any related damage are encouraged.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
78 REPLIES 78

falken76
Expert Consultant
I smashed mine into the wall a few times playing super hot already.  I though I broke it at first, but luckily Oculus seems to have anticipated this problem and used quality housing for these things  🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant

kuabi said:

I'v had a couple of close misses but I did stand on the cable whilst playing basketball. Luckely it just pulled of the cable clip on the hmd.

Yes for the first time, I've been extremely annoyed by the HMD cable, I'm constantly stepping on it, I've pulled it a couple of times.  Considering how paranoid I am about the connector on the headset for that wire, I'm afraid it's going to break solder joints in the HMD and damage the unit because I can't stop stepping on the cord and I'm afraid I'll move wrong and break the damn thing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

kuabi said:

I'v had a couple of close misses but I did stand on the cable whilst playing basketball. Luckely it just pulled of the cable clip on the hmd.

Yes for the first time, I've been extremely annoyed by the HMD cable, I'm constantly stepping on it, I've pulled it a couple of times.  Considering how paranoid I am about the connector on the headset for that wire, I'm afraid it's going to break solder joints in the HMD and damage the unit because I can't stop stepping on the cord and I'm afraid I'll move wrong and break the damn thing.

Maybe sourcing a ceiling twist hook for the cable may be a solution?

falken76
Expert Consultant

kuabi said:

falken76 said:

kuabi said:

Maybe sourcing a ceiling twist hook for the cable may be a solution?

I think I'm going to give that a try...

Zombievac
Explorer

CrashFu said:

andyring said:

So we can officially use them as knuckle dusters?   😄

Maybe that's is why it took them so long to get approval from the FDA or FCC or whatever it was. :hushed:

But short answer, yeah sort of! You'd have to swing them sideways or downwards, though. :wink:

Definitely the FDA.  VR is clearly a drug, and will be abused!

Greyman
Superstar
Invite loads of friends round and arrange them so that they cover up any objects that might cause damage to your Touch.   

Simples 😉

Zombievac
Explorer

EmberFox said:

Lol i was being super careful not to hit anything with mine & then my boyfriend wanted to try, i lectured him over & over "my room is too small, DO NOT fully extend your arm outward to throw or you will hit something" ...10 minutes later in job simulator i heard a bang & turned around to see him standing there with the orange paint from my wall scraped onto two parts of the controller *^* ohhhh i rung him out as i proceeded to scrub & cradle my controller, does have a little scratches on the ring & right above the top trigger u.u 
My cousin is coming over to day to try it & now im super nervous lol 

If your cousin is coming over to try it, "it" being your boyfriend... you should be nervous!  

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
Well, I thought I was immune to this, but The Unspoken had me smack myself in the side of my head.   :#

Dark3stWhite
Protege
This thread makes me very nervous about the turtle tank that is the wall of my play space....

Dark3stWhite
Protege
Also, how is this happening?  Are we ignoring the Guardian System?  Or does it just maybe appear a little too late.  I'm thinking about leaving about a half foot of play space beyond my Guardian System to reduce the risk of my turtle tank exploding