cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things

CrashFu
Consultant
Second session with Touch, got into the VR Sports and was playing the Hockey game. Got a liiiiiittle too eager to swat an incoming puck and punched my right-hand Touch into a desk.   Had to scrub it like hell with rubbing alcohol and paper towels (I hope the right choice?) to get the white paint mark off, but there's still a scuff/scar in the plastic, as you can see here:

bzoem5nqgs0d.jpg

Merely cosmetic damage, of course.  Touch controls are indestructible, practically speaking :+1:

Incidentally, this made me realize just how ingenious the Touch's ring/cuff shaped design is.   That outer ring will definitely protect your hand if you swing into something, and likely absorbs impacts enough to protect more sensitive parts in the handle / face of the controls, whereas (to my knowledge) there's nothing important IN the ring itself except for the internal IR lights.

How about you guys?  Photos of any related damage are encouraged.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
78 REPLIES 78

CrashFu
Consultant

Also, how is this happening?  Are we ignoring the Guardian System?  Or does it just maybe appear a little too late.  I'm thinking about leaving about a half foot of play space beyond my Guardian System to reduce the risk of my turtle tank exploding

In most cases, probably either from turning off guardian (or putting it in floor-ring only mode)  or just lunging too far in desperation to catch / dodge something.  Although yeah, I'd definitely suggest drawing your boundaries short of actual obstacles, especially things that you could break, like your turtle tank.

Like, this is why I criticize the concept of Room Scale VR for needing more room than most people have available.  You can't get away with having just barely enough room to move in the game.. you need enough room to play AND extra space for a safe margin of error.   As it stands, I'm going to have to expand my play area more than I previously thought suitable just for Standing-Scale VR. 😛     (Playing ones that I can stay seated for, like 'I Expect You to Die', in the meantime. Those seem safe enough.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

HiThere_
Superstar
Odds are that Guardian triggers only on how close you are to a border, and in that case maybe it should also take into account how fast it estimates you're going to hit a border at your current speed/acceleration.

Because that way if you're making a fast movement (throwing, punching...) it would trigger sooner to leave you enough time to react.

And if you're making a slow and careful exploration movement, it shouldn't come bug you any sooner then it needs to.

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star

CrashFu said:

Also, how is this happening?  Are we ignoring the Guardian System?  Or does it just maybe appear a little too late.  I'm thinking about leaving about a half foot of play space beyond my Guardian System to reduce the risk of my turtle tank exploding

In most cases, probably either from turning off guardian (or putting it in floor-ring only mode)  or just lunging too far in desperation to catch / dodge something.  Although yeah, I'd definitely suggest drawing your boundaries short of actual obstacles, especially things that you could break, like your turtle tank.

Like, this is why I criticize the concept of Room Scale VR for needing more room than most people have available.  You can't get away with having just barely enough room to move in the game.. you need enough room to play AND extra space for a safe margin of error.   As it stands, I'm going to have to expand my play area more than I previously thought suitable just for Standing-Scale VR. 😛     (Playing ones that I can stay seated for, like 'I Expect You to Die', in the meantime. Those seem safe enough.

I have limited space (2x2 metres floorspace, with a just a bit more from the waist up) and I've managed.
I have actually turned off guardian because i find the pop up barrier too immersion breaking. 
Now I have trained myself to stand still with a 1 step left 1 step right margin and so far so good.

I avoid big overhead throws as I am a tall fellow and already took out one lightbulb but so far I've been able to play what I want to play just fine. 

At first it felt a bit forced, but I got used to it on the first day. 

It's not ideal, but I can't change my house.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
On a side note, whenever I drop or let go my controllers then have to put them back on in-game, it's hilariously confusing to me, trying to grab my own fake hands using my invisible real ones and get them the right way round  😄

CrashFu
Consultant

P3nT4gR4m said:

On a side note, whenever I drop or let go my controllers then have to put them back on in-game, it's hilariously confusing to me, trying to grab my own fake hands using my invisible real ones and get them the right way round  😄

OI've noticed that in some apps, like the Home screen itself, if you set the controllers down they'll change from hands to actual touch controls.

And furthermore, even if the sensor can't see them clearly, they know (and transmit) exactly what direction they're facing.  Do they have their own internal gyroscopes, I wonder?

Anonymous
Not applicable
A good idea I've seen mentioned a few times is to get a rug and put it in the play space so if you get to the edge of the rug you know if you take another step at arms reach you will hit something 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary
i hit the wall last night. the chaperone system did warn me but i had lost bearings thought i was facing my computer desk with only 4 feet height blocking me.  i was wrong!.  not hard luckily, however

I NEARLY had a disaster.  I never bother with wrist binds, after all, what idiot does the stereotype thing you always hear abotu with the wiimotes and lets them go.... no one right????

wrong!

playing ripcoil which is a game where you throw stuff at your oponent i completely fell into the stereotype and threw my touch controller...... hard!.

by complete chance i DID have the string round my wrist which saved me throwing my touch full tilt into my 70inch TV!!!

i will never use em now without the straps on!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer
In one of the early Superhot scenarios I punced one of the red guys coming from the right hand side in the face - and hit a picture on the wall. It's a framed picture behind glass!
Fortunately I was already at the end of my movement so it didn't have much thrust left. The glass didn't break.

The guardian wall doesn't help much when you quick thrusting movements. The only solution would be to draw the line with a larger safety distance to walls and objects but then my playspace would be too small.

cero490
Heroic Explorer
@FrozenPea I was actually considering the rug idea myself, at least then I can feel my play area and not forget that I was previously wrapping Christmas gifts and punch any more blenders... But really, who punches a blender? Better yet, who asks for a blender as a gift?
I have also bumped my head off of a wall trying to find cover in Dead and Buried and once hit my lights right above where I play. They're Japanese lanterns, minus one now.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Guardian works exactly as it should for me.  The grid shows up instantly when I get close to the edge.  The problem is I'm already in momentum when I move quickly towards the edge of the grid, and it pops up instantly as it should, but I can't stop my momentum quick enough so I end up hitting walls, or leaning into things.  I'm tempted to just drag the PC setup by the back door and just set this thing up in the back yard where you actually have room to move around.  (Provided you didn't buy one of those cookie cutter houses that looks identical to the neighbors, they don't have yards, but the patio should still have enough space)