cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road map for Medium?

Marthius
Honored Guest
Just a general question about the long term goals for medium which I cannot find an answer to in the FAQ.  I'm wondering if the plan is to continue to add complexity to medium to make it more capable of high end modeling (things like hard edges and deformation tools for example), or alternatively to maintain is primarily as a kind of 3D sketching tool more aimed at beginners and/or concept work?
20 REPLIES 20

falken76
Expert Consultant
I'd like to see a Biped added and additional hardware for sale that would create a motion capture suit that could be used to capture the keyframes to import into other programs like 3dsmax.  So you can use the 3dsmax biped with the keyframes created in medium on your OBJ that you export from medium and still have access to all the controls to 3dsmaxes tools for creating the video's or frames.  You could make a character.  Act out a seen, export the character, bring in the keyframes and create an animation using a suite of different software.  It would be awesome to be able to do motion capture.

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
@Roaster
Just wait till you try it. You'll be pleasantly surprised as I just was at how simply but powerful it is.

Marthius
Honored Guest
The big tools i would love to get my hands on would be some kind of grab brush, a pinch tool, and dynamic re-topology for fine details (given limited memory).  But as you said these are early days, and work with the current tools will surely suit me well come future updates!

I love that you took up real world sculpting in prep for this projects. I suppose a lot of the design for medium had to come from first principles given that there is really nothing else like it that came before.

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
Seems the biggest feature request I have at the moment are two things:

I wish it was possible to just go to the custom stamps menu and be able to import a sculpt scene as a stamp rather than having to export the sculpt to OBJ and look through the nose hole as you drag the obj file to the sculpt folder even though its something that you just made inside of medium. Seems you should be able to throw it in as a stamp inside of Medium.

Also it seems like the OBJ exporter gives me these weird errors on the geometry where some surfaces appear completely black every once in a while which sucks because I like to do things with the models outside of medium too. Appears to be some sort of error with the normals.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Haven't tried any exporting yet but I'm sure medium will spit out hideous geometry, same as any dynamic sculpt. Maybe flipped normals? Try changing the polys to double sided then knuckle down and get on with the retopo?

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
I tried flipping the normals but they still appear black. It's really strange. I get these little patches of black normals too on some more detailed models.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
did you check rms8080's thread?

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer

P3nT4gR4m said:

did you check rms8080's thread?

Yeah, his was a little different. Still get the blocked meshes which Brian said will be fixed later but mine was messed up normals but I figured it out. In maya I just had to do "unlock normals" and the weird black patched normals went away. Then just resmoothed the normals.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Sorted. I just meant using that meshtools thing. Medium seems to export in a hell of a state. You doing retopo in maya?

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
I'm just now looking closely at the meshes Medium exports and it's kinda crazy lol. On almost ever vert there seems to be 2 or 3 in the same exact spot. So many excessive verts. Hell of a cleanup if you wanted clean polys. Haven't done any retopo on these Medium meshes yet but probably will once I finalize something. I'm having too much fun messing around in it. Love how you can easily come back to a model and add or remove stuff no problem in medium. Just wish the export was cleaner