Post Your First Medium Sculpts! - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Post Your First Medium Sculpts!

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,681 Valuable Player
    Whoa, that's the best use of stamps I've seen yet!
  • IsItVRIsItVR Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Are you guys modeling the faces and bodies, or are there stamps for that?
    There's stamps for all human bodyparts, male and female. Lately I've been grabbing them on one layer and then stamping detail on another layer before ditching the reference. It feels a bit cheaty but y'know what? I'm strangely comfortable with that :D
  • rnbwrnbw Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I just discovered stamps, so no stamps in mine. But making it all work together realistically isn't that easy I think, so not cheating in my eyes, plus in the end it's about the product, not your talent, though talent will make it easier creating a great product. 
    To be honest, it's no different to me making my own shapes and importing them in as stamps. Shit, I've got half a dozen suitable ones in my blender folder, all hand sculpted by me. Most sculptors probably do. And the Medium ones are fine but, lets face it, they aint gonna win any top-rows at polycount. As long as I know I could easily sculpt something that would do the job I'm using it for,  I guess I'm happy enough just grabbing the one that's lying there.

Thing is, for a novicey sculptor like me, I feel it's kinda important that I do as much as I can for myself. I wanna learn and I wanna be careful with templates and prefabs and whatnot cos they never help with learning, long-run. There was just that twinge of - "Any idiot could do this" tickling the hairs on the back of my neck. The fact that I've suddenly become at least 8-times as capable as I was on Wednesday morning weighed in there to certain degree, too. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop...
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    ChrisTron said:

Does anybody know why I can't get the stamps in the same size as the original?

I was wondering that, all the stamps I've made have been slight smaller than the originals. 
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • TrancerSpaceyTrancerSpacey Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    In the FAQ of Medium they said, that stamps are always low resolution.
  • ChrisTronChrisTron Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    In the FAQ of Medium they said, that stamps are always low resolution.
    So the strategy would be to prepare stamps in the lowest resolution? Have to try that.
    BTW: Does anybody know how to delete custom stamps :smile: ?
    I found a set of directories. I'll just delete them ... (famous last words)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,380 Valuable Player
    Added some details, need higher resolution, ordered two more 8GB Ram modules and startet saving money for a GTX1080  :D ...
    I'm glad I upgraded to 32 GB of RAM last month--total overkill for gaming, but I had a feeling it would help for Medium, and that was confirmed in one of the announcement threads recently.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Trinity
    So we just need to make them overly big to start off with. 

Added some details, need higher resolution, ordered two more 8GB Ram modules and startet saving money for a GTX1080  :D ...
    Not run out of memory yet, but I can see the need for 32GB won't be far off  ;)
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
    doing some head detailing on my zombie. Was having a hell of a time doing hard creases like the eyelids and around the nose. Was missing my crease tool something stupid. Inflate/deflate wasn't cutting it for me although I have formed an uneasy alliance with it for other areas. Inspiration struck. I grabbed the organic stamp that looks like a little pointy tentacle, set it to subtract and flipped back and forth between gouge with the tip and a little dab of smooth to form reasonably sharp creases. Turned out the perfect tool even for the big strokes under the cheekbones and whatnot, just rotate and use the back. There's just about ever curve radius you could ask for on that one stamp just by varying the size and what part you use.

Trinity
    I'm tending to add bulk using the sphere primitive, then smoothing. Finding this a good way to add facial details. Finding working big means there's more scope for finer details. Still, a crease tool would be nice for hard edges...
  • WheatabitsWheatabits Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    Here's my first one, made in about an hour while listening to Christmas music with the wife and dogs!
    That's incredible! How you getting it into blender? Are you surfacing in medium or blender? 

• JavierVillalbaJavierVillalba Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I did the materials by using different layers in Medium, and then exporting and cleaning the OBJ mesh a bit. It already exports one mesh per layer, so it's easy to assign separate materials. But I couldn't get the vertex color, so I finally did similar shaders and lighting in Blender using Cycles.
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    This is one from last-night before I went to bed. Did some experimenting with quickly drawing out forms with the sphere clay ball and then using the Inflate/Deflate tool and the smooth tool to carve/paint on the forms. Was really impressed with these tools because I've never really liked doing organic stuff and this feels much more approachable than Mudbox. Even used the subtract clay sphere to quickly and roughly carve out mass and then inflate tool to paint back on a smooth surface using the sensitivity of the trigger. Another impressive thing about Medium is I didn't once touch the resolution button on this. May or may not up the resolution later and add details. Legs are a bit short I've noticed.