cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Gravity1368
Protege

I've been having a strange problem since i got my touches in, whenever im using more then one sensor my hmd tracking jumps when turning around with my back to the cameras.

I dont run into this when using just one sensor. I can turn around and the tracking is 100% solid, but the moment i plug sensor two back in the tracking jumps when i stop with my back to my sensors. This shouldnt be happening with the hmd I would understand if it was the controllers but the Rift has tracking lights on the back of it.

I've tried using every combination of usb ports and sensor placement, from up high on the ceiling to just on my desk still the problem remains. I even borrowed one of my buddies cameras to run the experimental setup, the irony is that the controllers track great with the three cams in roomscale but the hmd does not. Playing something like jobsim on steam I will turn around to grab something and the whole world shakes like someone is bumping my sensor.

I've spent the last two days trying everything I can think of but still nothing helps other then using just one sensor. The last thing I can think of trying is buying a usb card and see if that helps. Sorry for the wall of text but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to smooth out the hmd tracking just a little frustrated at this point.

151 REPLIES 151

BCL74
Explorer
For me I was able to fix it by changing the USB ports, and also making sure both sensors were aimed at the exact same level, so if they are tilted ensure their tilt is the exact same. Not sure which if the two fixed it, but it somehow works now...

APGamerZ
Honored Guest
I had my sensors upside down near the ceiling, but now I have them right side up at desk level with the same tilt. The coverage isn't as great, a smaller area and now it doesn't track my touch controllers at the floor (it loses them 4 or 5 inches from the ground). However, my head tracking is much better now. I can turn around and it tracks my head just fine. The touch tracking is still problematic though. Any occlusion completely throws off the touch tracking. The head tracking is still worse than with one sensor but it's miles better than it was.

Regardless, I want Oculus to fix this. I ordered a third sensor weeks ago, but I'm not hopeful it will make a big improvement. I hope I'm wrong and it fixes everything. I'll get four sensors if that's what it takes, I just want a solution.

Gravity1368
Protege

I have the same issue as well! I'm sure its only started since I got the second sensor. Here's a video showing the issue at its worst https://youtu.be/CVElwsze650

Yes this is close to what is happening with me. My guardian is shifting as well. Im going to try the usb card not much to lose and Im hoping it will help. 

EliteSPA
Superstar
Use diferent usb port or try to put the camera on high level for example get a box and put it on the desk and the camera on top of it also 1 meter away from you looking down both like 30 degress. 
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
Don't forget to try the Desk Scene viewer to navigate your way through the sensor layout in real time in the HMD
(for CV1)
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4dwhpx/miss_the_old_desk_scene_demo_and_seeing_your/

I used this to ensure that at least one camera was tasked at ensuring vertical coverage and that the other was handling the horizontal space. It also confirmed for me that the cameras could see the ground and were not occluded by the desk or any other object.

You can change the fill pattern of the sensor wave to also see the exact point the sensors overlap.

If you find the wobble start to happen at any particular spot, report it back here.

Callidus80
Protege
@AJBats No worries, thought I would have to get a good video of the issue to properly communicate how bad it is. I have a support ticket open at the moment as well. Will post here if I get a fix.

weasel47
Heroic Explorer

HoIIywood said:

Don't forget to try the Desk Scene viewer to navigate your way through the sensor layout in real time in the HMD
(for CV1)
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4dwhpx/miss_the_old_desk_scene_demo_and_seeing_your/

I used this to ensure that at least one camera was tasked at ensuring vertical coverage and that the other was handling the horizontal space. It also confirmed for me that the cameras could see the ground and were not occluded by the desk or any other object.

You can change the fill pattern of the sensor wave to also see the exact point the sensors overlap.

If you find the wobble start to happen at any particular spot, report it back here.

It seems that the version for multiple cameras is in an invitation-only thread?

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
I noticed that after posting. Here is the previous version - works for CV1  ; at least gives you an idea of where the coverage is (note that the virtual desk is not to scale or position, which is a bit annoying)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzzWVEzclTeCTS1YQ002Zl9Banc/view?usp=sharing

Leprechaunn
Honored Guest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2cKa_B4Ty8 ;

here's a video of the sensor placement glitching way off.  Sometimes it works fine but recently it's been happening more frequently.  Does not make it unplayable but I have to play without guardian, which I kinda need. >.<  I have the sensors upside down which I've read can cause issues but I really have no room to put them upright in an optimal position.  Hopefully we'll get a fix or news regarding upside down sensor placement

BCL74
Explorer
I thought I had fixed it yesterday but now it is back to being janky as hell. View just shifts around like crazy in job simulator, especially when turning towards the far corners. It has something to do with occlusion, something to do with the sensors, its hard to tell but its extremely extremely frustrating and disorienting, making it unplayable.