Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things

Comments

• bizjerbizjer Posts: 118
    Art3mis
    Unspoken. Used one hand to point at where I wanted to throw a fireball and smashed straight into the hanging glass light. Home run challenge has had be smashing the controllers into each other.
  • Baz_uKBaz_uK Posts: 136
    Art3mis
    So far no incidents apart from the odd very light craze. My room  is very small at moment and as sombody said I have conditioned my self to basically not move apart from odd small step and to not wave arms about too much....well at least extend them! I'm sure a bump is on its way! 
  • ThugThug Posts: 431
    Trinity
    Punched my desk twice reaching for things in Dead and Buried and hit my ceiling light 3 times reaching for holds in The Climb. 
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited December 2016
    I had some exp with the Vive but sometimes I hit the wardrobe, monday arrives my new psu for my second pc and I will make the setup in the basement 6x6 meters and my third sensor is processed already. Is good to be alive this days.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Not hit anything yet in quite a small space, the extra reach of the vive controllers would lead to a different story.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,896 Valuable Player
    Just had my 1st major moment. Punched the wall. Luckily touch survived. Fumbled shot in basketball and total reaction lunge the get back took be past guardian wall into actual wall.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Baseball got me. Got a little too eager with wanting to hit a home run.

I slammed one hand/touch controller into the desk, causing a pair of headphones to get knocked down on the floor.
    Same here...  And then I gave the ceiling fan a good wack while trying to throw a TD pass to my useless tight end...
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 912
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    What I'm afraid of is smacking my monitor and putting a big crack through the middle of the screen. 

You know it's gonna happen to someone eventually, and then expect to see much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forum. 
  • VathesVathes Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Glass lamp shade that is unfortunately directly above my head in the centre of my play space.  Threw the American football and knocked the glass shade off of the light fitting.  As soon as I whacked it I knew it was coming down, I just closed my eyes and hoped it didn't land on me, which luckily it didn't.  It hit the floor smashed into a million pieces, this was in the middle of the night and the noise woke the whole house up.  Spent the next hour picking up the pieces.

Before I started playing I had made a mental note that the light was there and I thought...  It's fine, I will remember its there and it wont be a problem but its amazing how immersed you become and how quickly you forget.
  • TadinTadin Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Vathes said:
    Glass lamp shade that is unfortunately directly above my head in the centre of my play space.  Threw the American football and knocked the glass shade off of the light fitting.  As soon as I whacked it I knew it was coming down, I just closed my eyes and hoped it didn't land on me, which luckily it didn't.  It hit the floor smashed into a million pieces, this was in the middle of the night and the noise woke the whole house up.  Spent the next hour picking up the pieces.

Before I started playing I had made a mental note that the light was there and I thought...  It's fine, I will remember its there and it wont be a problem but its amazing how immersed you become and how quickly you forget.
    Those things are so easy to break, I managed to destroy ours playing Golf on the Wii ... let alone using a Rift.

So before my Rift even arrived I replaced the hanging light in our dining room with one flat to the ceiling, so should be all good... at least with the light anyway.
  • VathesVathes Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Tadin said:
    Vathes said:

Those things are so easy to break, I managed to destroy ours playing Golf on the Wii ... let alone using a Rift.

So before my Rift even arrived I replaced the hanging light in our dining room with one flat to the ceiling, so should be all good... at least with the light anyway.

Lol, yep, funnily enough I had thought about doing that myself, but I was lazy and didn't get round to actually doing anything about it.  Every glass shard I am still finding is a great reminder... will I learn from this?  I hope so, but knowing me, probably not. :smiley:
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    How many times have I smacked my hand on the desk whilst reloading my revolvers in Dead & Buried?

I don't know, either - lost count! :s

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player
    So had my mum round tonight 76 years old. During Bullet train I told her to throw the gun at the soldier and she actually threw the controller cross the room and it hit the wall. Next time I am definitely insisting on them putting the hand loops on.
  • battleaxe39battleaxe39 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    The first thing I punched with the touch was my stereo, bloody nvidia funhouse with the punching gloves, had a few bumps and bbangs in vr sports so far as well, I think or hope that touch were built to take a bit of crap considering what you end up doing with them!!!
  • kuraikamikuraikami Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    I nearly punched a friend in the face in Audioshield. I only got his shoulder, I should aim better next time. o:)
  • ShibbyRJShibbyRJ Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I've smacked the ceiling twice while "celebrating" in Dead and Buried! Thankfully, the Oculus Touch Knuckle Dusters are tough :)

Also, the illusion of holding/chucking dynamite was so real, I actually threw my controller across the room with some real gusto. Luckily it hit the edge of my desk rather than the monitor!
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,366 Valuable Player
    LMAO yea I can't say much, ran into the door, the wall, punch the wall, the chair, and almost someone else in the face xD

I wear the straps and when I had others try - I made them wear the straps as well xD They too have hit walls and doors.

I was thinking - Oculus should sell padded room blocks so we can keep some of this lowed :P
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 241
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Read this thread earlier & thought 'no way am I going to hit anything'..

Wrong!!!  I just fired up VR Sports challenge, hit a baseball and the left touch caught the desk, came off my hand and disappeared somewhere in the room.  So... two noises; (one louder than the other) desk and wall and I still couldn't find the touch controller.

With the help of a torch i found it had wedged itself behind the PC against the wall.  It's got a nice deep scar across it's face above the 'Y' button and the multi direction thingy is damaged, all squidgy and loose -  it's not like the other one.  Total fail on my part for not securing the wrist straps tight enough and trying to hit a virtual (imaginary) ball too hard.

Anyone got ideas about how i can get a new one (just the left one) or how to dis-assemble to repair?

:'(  
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
  • WolfoxWolfox Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,805 Valuable Player
    I have not even played my copy of The Climb and I've only tried hockey in VR Sports.  I'm pretty good at gauging where I am since I glance out the nose area periodically to get my bearings, but I know for a fact that those games would have me hitting walls and the ceiling since it's so low.  I'm 6 foot tall and the ceiling in my room slants, it starts at about 10 feet and slants down to about 7.5 feet.  The configuration in my room sucks, so in order for it to even fit, I have to stand under the section that's 7.5 feet just to get Moderate space,  I don't have a problem hitting the actual walls or throwing the controllers, I keep hitting that damn ceiling though.  One time it was enough to cause one of the controllers to lose it's link with the computer.  I don't really want to set this thing up in the living room but I just might have to.  These controllers are too expensive and according to what I'm reading, they're taking the type of abuse my Sega Genesis controllers did when I got Techno Cop.  The end result was a controller swung helicopter style to get momentum and flung against the wall where it exploded into pieces of plastic, and circuitboard chunks.

What kind of warranty do they have?  Technically all of these stories wouldn't be covered under normal warranties since these are 100% neglect cases....

I'm not playing the climb or vr sports until I move this into a room with the space, I just know I'll hit things.

I love the game Holoball but I can't play it much, I can't play properly because I can't do ANY overhand swings.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    PIXELATED said:
    Anyone got ideas about how i can get a new one (just the left one) or how to dis-assemble to repair?

:'(  
    Owch, tough break, no pun intended. Good news is that Support could probably help you out there, since your Touch controllers are presumably covered under warranty, but....

The bad news is that because of the cost (and demand) for these things, you'll almost certainly have to send in the damaged one before you can get a new one..  and it'll take time.  Time to talk to support and get processed through the right channels and get the repair/replacement authorized, time waiting for the mail to get it to them, time waiting to get the new/repaired one back...

So.... I hope there's stuff you can play one-handed in the mean-time. :sweat:
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    I hit the glass that covers my fan light.
    Close call
  • MarrukkahMarrukkah Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist

Bumped mine into a cupboard while playing superhot, no scratch or anything; then my best mate tried it and dented it against the same cupboard (thank you protective ring) then my nephew tried it and what do you know, nice scratch on my right Touch... Guardian is set up OK and everything but some people really get carried away way too much and start flailing like headless poultry. Luckily everything still works like a charm :) Excellent and sturdy design guys

• CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    Marrukkah said:

Bumped mine into a cupboard while playing superhot, no scratch or anything; then my best mate tried it and dented it against the same cupboard (thank you protective ring) then my nephew tried it and what do you know, nice scratch on my right Touch... Guardian is set up OK and everything but some people really get carried away way too much and start flailing like headless poultry. Luckily everything still works like a charm :) Excellent and sturdy design guys

I just feel like I need to point out that the "protective ring" isn't actually a protective ring, but the housing for your tracking leds.

It's main purpose is not to absorb hits and save you from scraped knuckles.
  • MarrukkahMarrukkah Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just feel like I need to point out that the "protective ring" isn't actually a protective ring, but the housing for your tracking leds.

It's main purpose is not to absorb hits and save you from scraped knuckles.
    You are totally right. I know this is where the tracking leds are but I couldn't come up with a better description.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 318
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    You guys should check the Guardian schematics for setup a little better. Between the Guardian wall and real objects you need to leave at least one meter. Guardian will popup whenever an object gets close. If your hands get close, still having one meter untill you reach an object is fine IMO.

If you are moving backwards (hands in front of you) and you see Guardian appearing all around you, STOP! You still have one meter to stop your body before you hit something.

But, maybe like with most peole, I have my Guardian setup just 10cm away from the walls to maximise play space :p However this creates some stress while playing as you know when Guardian appears there is no room left any more. We all just need bigger rooms. Who would of thought that hé? Oculus not being able to do roomscale .. we're all knocking our stuff on the ground so for the space that most people have available, the Oculus tracking tech is more then sufficient.
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    I was completely immersed inside of Rec Room. Was shooting hoops in the locker room and decided to go for a slam dunk. Ended up dunking my ceiling.
  • lavojustlavojust Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    I threw a knife ...  I mean, my controller in the wall. I use the wrist binds now.  :|
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator
    Thmoas said:
    You guys should check the Guardian schematics for setup a little better. Between the Guardian wall and real objects you need to leave at least one meter. Guardian will popup whenever an object gets close. If your hands get close, still having one meter untill you reach an object is fine IMO.
    If I left a meter from the borders of my space to the Guardian walls, I would have a negative-sized playspace.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB