cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things

CrashFu
Consultant
Second session with Touch, got into the VR Sports and was playing the Hockey game. Got a liiiiiittle too eager to swat an incoming puck and punched my right-hand Touch into a desk.   Had to scrub it like hell with rubbing alcohol and paper towels (I hope the right choice?) to get the white paint mark off, but there's still a scuff/scar in the plastic, as you can see here:

bzoem5nqgs0d.jpg

Merely cosmetic damage, of course.  Touch controls are indestructible, practically speaking :+1:

Incidentally, this made me realize just how ingenious the Touch's ring/cuff shaped design is.   That outer ring will definitely protect your hand if you swing into something, and likely absorbs impacts enough to protect more sensitive parts in the handle / face of the controls, whereas (to my knowledge) there's nothing important IN the ring itself except for the internal IR lights.

How about you guys?  Photos of any related damage are encouraged.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
78 REPLIES 78

Jsandersen
Explorer
Baseball got me. Got a little too eager with wanting to hit a home run.

I slammed one hand/touch controller into the desk, causing a pair of headphones to get knocked down on the floor.

bizjer
Expert Protege
Unspoken. Used one hand to point at where I wanted to throw a fireball and smashed straight into the hanging glass light. Home run challenge has had be smashing the controllers into each other.

Baz_uK
Expert Protege
So far no incidents apart from the odd very light craze. My room  is very small at moment and as sombody said I have conditioned my self to basically not move apart from odd small step and to not wave arms about too much....well at least extend them! I'm sure a bump is on its way! 

Thug
Heroic Explorer
Punched my desk twice reaching for things in Dead and Buried and hit my ceiling light 3 times reaching for holds in The Climb. 
CPU: Intel i9-10990k.
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX3080,
RAM: 32GB DDR5,
Viewed on: Oculus Quest 2 or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung SSD (games), 512GB Samsung SSD (OS), 512GB SSD (3d),

EliteSPA
Superstar
I had some exp with the Vive but sometimes I hit the wardrobe, monday arrives my new psu for my second pc and I will make the setup in the basement 6x6 meters and my third sensor is processed already. Is good to be alive this days.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Percy1983
Superstar
Not hit anything yet in quite a small space, the extra reach of the vive controllers would lead to a different story.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Just had my 1st major moment. Punched the wall. Luckily touch survived. Fumbled shot in basketball and total reaction lunge the get back took be past guardian wall into actual wall.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

StreetPreacher
Adventurer

Baseball got me. Got a little too eager with wanting to hit a home run.

I slammed one hand/touch controller into the desk, causing a pair of headphones to get knocked down on the floor.

Same here...  And then I gave the ceiling fan a good wack while trying to throw a TD pass to my useless tight end...

cybernettr
Superstar
What I'm afraid of is smacking my monitor and putting a big crack through the middle of the screen. 

You know it's gonna happen to someone eventually, and then expect to see much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forum. 

Vathes
Explorer
Glass lamp shade that is unfortunately directly above my head in the centre of my play space.  Threw the American football and knocked the glass shade off of the light fitting.  As soon as I whacked it I knew it was coming down, I just closed my eyes and hoped it didn't land on me, which luckily it didn't.  It hit the floor smashed into a million pieces, this was in the middle of the night and the noise woke the whole house up.  Spent the next hour picking up the pieces.

Before I started playing I had made a mental note that the light was there and I thought...  It's fine, I will remember its there and it wont be a problem but its amazing how immersed you become and how quickly you forget.