VR Sports Challenge Reviews — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR Sports Challenge Reviews

Comments

• Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    Hopefully there's a gentle learning curve for things like American Football, I'm pretty sure my knowledge of different play call isn't up to snuff over here in the UK.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,778
    Project 2501
    Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! First hockey game on PC since NHL 09 lol...Can you tell I am Canadian ;-)
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    maxpare79 said:
    Hockey! Hockey! Hockey! First hockey game on PC since NHL 09 lol...Can you tell I am Canadian ;-)
    Oh I know hockey, skatey skatey, fighty fighty, slappy pucky, fighty fighty, GOAL! 
  • ycusteauycusteau Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    maxpare79 said:
    Oh I know hockey, skatey skatey, fighty fighty, slappy pucky, fighty fighty, GOAL! 
    Oh I know American Football: talk, talk, tap b*tt, talk, bend, play 5 seconds, REPEAT! :smiley:

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited November 2016
    I'm English and a nerd so have zero knowledge of all sports, even more so these since none of them are popular here! :p

Closest experience I have is with Wii Sports baseball funnily enough!
    Plus I had a Canadian friend once so thats my closest experience with Hockey!  :D 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,719 Valuable Player
     ycusteau said:
    maxpare79 said:
    Oh I know American Football: talk, talk, tap b*tt, talk, bend, play 5 seconds, REPEAT! :smiley:

.....don't forget the commercial breaks!

@FrozenPea, English nerds unite !!!

(almost sounds like a football team.. football not soccer that is ;) )

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,309
    Wintermute
    edited November 2016
    I played hockey for over 35 years, but it was proper men's hockey, of the field variety, not some wussy game where everyone wears padding and sits down for most of the game.  :)
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Is anyone else having issues with the scale being off in the hockey mode?  All of the other sports seemed fine, but in hockey I was barely as tall as the net, and my stick seemed too long.

Also, does the in game resolution scaling option max out at 120%?
  • EbonyknightEbonyknight Posts: 111
    Art3mis
     ycusteau said:
    maxpare79 said:

.....don't forget the commercial breaks!

@FrozenPea, English nerds unite !!!

(almost sounds like a football team.. football not soccer that is ;) )

Yeah, I heard once that if you take out all the timeouts, pauses between plays, commercials, etc....that actual action time is 20 minutes.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,809 Valuable Player
    Hi at moment i only have egg thowing and netball.... how do i get the other sports?

Thanks
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Craiger13Craiger13 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Is anyone else having issues with the scale being off in the hockey mode?  All of the other sports seemed fine, but in hockey I was barely as tall as the net, and my stick seemed too long.

Also, does the in game resolution scaling option max out at 120%?

It's the same for me. I feel so short in hockey, but the scale is correct in the other games. If I kneel down and put my controllers to the ground, the glove and stick in the game go through the ice. It's as if the ice starts slightly above my ankles. I don't have this problem in the other games.
  • AndrewJ71AndrewJ71 Posts: 280
    Nexus 6
    Hi at moment i only have egg thowing and netball.... how do i get the other sports?

Thanks
    The little round disc thingy is disc-slap. Stick-ball only appears as a mini game (grab gator guy to access them)
  • AndrewJ71AndrewJ71 Posts: 280
    Nexus 6
    Finding VR sports really fun, actually. 

I think they they really need to add saved game slots, though. I've "unlocked" improved opposition defense in basket ball and there's no way to play the game without it now. So if my wife tries it, she'll be playing in hard mode without having learned the ropes. And she'll get annoyed and quit after 15 seconds, for sure. 

Same me for if we have people try the game out in future. The game needs three save slots as a bare minimum - five would be better. And they need to allow you to delete/reset a save. 

Perhaps @cybereality could pass on that feedback?

(Before going to bed last night, I actually tracked down the location of my saved file, backed it up and deleted it. Hopefully my wife will be able to try it from the start now. That's a work around, but it would be far preferable to have a proper solution in game. Some people might not have the knowledge or inclination to go tinkering around with save files)
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,778
    Project 2501
    I am missing my two front teeth, like to put people's shirts over their heads, so I LOVE HOCKEY!
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • battleaxe39battleaxe39 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I'm enjoying this game so far, they maybe American sports but in game form are easy enough to pick up, really interactive and gets you moving around so make Some room, i dived into my wall trying to catch a football ffs, caught it tho:)
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    I just wish that the football passing was based more on your arm movement, rather than being directed solely? by the marker which is controlled by head movement...  It took me a few series to realize why none of my passes seemed to be going anywhere near where I thought I was throwing them.

I guess it's natural to throw where you're looking, but it seems like you almost have to look at the ground in front of the receiver rather than at chest level in order to place the marker correctly...

Basketball seems to work better, and thanks for confirming the hockey scale issue, not sure what's going on there since all the other games look to be the correct size.
  • dtrjonesdtrjones Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Hopefully there's a gentle learning curve for things like American Football, I'm pretty sure my knowledge of different play call isn't up to snuff over here in the UK.
    I'm not sure this is a simulator LOL! VR Sports Challange is exactly that - a bunch of preset challenges which are a hell of a lot of FUN!!!! No deep rules, tactics or historic information required and I'm welsh!
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    The hockey scale issue seems obviously on purpose to me. The entire game is meant to be played standing up, but hockey goalies don't tend to stand up straight. So they changed the scale to make it so while you are standing, your goalie character isn't.

I am so glad they gave this game as a preorder bonus, because there's no way I would have bought it. But it's damn fun!
  • kuabikuabi Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Another UK user here with little understanding of these games. Loving the basket ball but can't get the hang of the three pointers. I'm fine in the 3 point challenge but in game when I go for a 3 pointer it either makes a wild pass or when I throw on target when a player is coming in it goes to the zoom and is way off the basket so have to take the 2 pointer.
  • VitalogyVitalogy Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    The hockey scale issue seems obviously on purpose to me. The entire game is meant to be played standing up, but hockey goalies don't tend to stand up straight. So they changed the scale to make it so while you are standing, your goalie character isn't.
    So we are supposed to play stand up straight? That really break immersion for me.
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    Can someone tell me how to catch a football with one hand? Do you need to grab the tip (hope that's not as durty as sounds) keeps telling me my other hand was too far away.
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    Never mind just tried it again and finally got it
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,407
    Project 2501
    I agree it's a lot of fun but it's a bit of a tease. You get a taste of how awesome sports could be in VR.

Football shows you how VR can finally conquer the biggest issue with football games. You can finally turn your head and see the receivers as a QB sees them. With a controller there was no way.

Trying to find the open receiver while watching out for potential blitz is pretty awesome. If they could get that right, a ton of people would buy VR systems to experience what it's like to be a QB making reads, and watching out for the blitz. 
  • BrianNCaliBrianNCali Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    They need to add a way to reset each sport some someone new trying it can start from the beginning. 
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    I spent a bit of time in this game tonight and actually enjoyed it more than I thought i would have. I kind of just forgot about VR Sports Challenge for a while. 

Basket ball is probably one of my favourites. Why did they design it so the ball just locks to the hand though? It would have been much more fun to dribble the basket ball and require a bit more of a learning curve to control it better. 

I like how they got around some of the limitations of movement, I think it was a good decision for one of the first VR sports games. 

A proper story mode would have been really cool. I like getting achievements and stuff, but would rather go on a journey and be a character have some some depth in the game. I don't know how common this is in Sports gaming in general as I don't play a lot these days. :p 

CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
  • oqvistoqvist Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    It´s a great game. Way superior to Wii sports :D I love hockey don´t have problem with the scale. I am sitting in a chair to make it less tiring but it does hurt my mobility a little and I probably drop more pucks ;)

As for real hockey you can´t watch it anymore. They destroyed it with numerous power breaks every period to show commercials. If you go watch hockey live there is commercial adds all over the place and also between the periods. Talk about selling out :(