cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things

CrashFu
Consultant
Second session with Touch, got into the VR Sports and was playing the Hockey game. Got a liiiiiittle too eager to swat an incoming puck and punched my right-hand Touch into a desk.   Had to scrub it like hell with rubbing alcohol and paper towels (I hope the right choice?) to get the white paint mark off, but there's still a scuff/scar in the plastic, as you can see here:

bzoem5nqgs0d.jpg

Merely cosmetic damage, of course.  Touch controls are indestructible, practically speaking :+1:

Incidentally, this made me realize just how ingenious the Touch's ring/cuff shaped design is.   That outer ring will definitely protect your hand if you swing into something, and likely absorbs impacts enough to protect more sensitive parts in the handle / face of the controls, whereas (to my knowledge) there's nothing important IN the ring itself except for the internal IR lights.

How about you guys?  Photos of any related damage are encouraged.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
78 REPLIES 78

Tadin
Heroic Explorer

Vathes said:

Glass lamp shade that is unfortunately directly above my head in the centre of my play space.  Threw the American football and knocked the glass shade off of the light fitting.  As soon as I whacked it I knew it was coming down, I just closed my eyes and hoped it didn't land on me, which luckily it didn't.  It hit the floor smashed into a million pieces, this was in the middle of the night and the noise woke the whole house up.  Spent the next hour picking up the pieces.

Before I started playing I had made a mental note that the light was there and I thought...  It's fine, I will remember its there and it wont be a problem but its amazing how immersed you become and how quickly you forget.

Those things are so easy to break, I managed to destroy ours playing Golf on the Wii ... let alone using a Rift.

So before my Rift even arrived I replaced the hanging light in our dining room with one flat to the ceiling, so should be all good... at least with the light anyway.

Vathes
Explorer

Tadin said:

Vathes said:

Glass lamp shade that is unfortunately directly above my head in the centre of my play space.  Threw the American football and knocked the glass shade off of the light fitting.  As soon as I whacked it I knew it was coming down, I just closed my eyes and hoped it didn't land on me, which luckily it didn't.  It hit the floor smashed into a million pieces, this was in the middle of the night and the noise woke the whole house up.  Spent the next hour picking up the pieces.

Before I started playing I had made a mental note that the light was there and I thought...  It's fine, I will remember its there and it wont be a problem but its amazing how immersed you become and how quickly you forget.

Those things are so easy to break, I managed to destroy ours playing Golf on the Wii ... let alone using a Rift.

So before my Rift even arrived I replaced the hanging light in our dining room with one flat to the ceiling, so should be all good... at least with the light anyway.

Lol, yep, funnily enough I had thought about doing that myself, but I was lazy and didn't get round to actually doing anything about it.  Every glass shard I am still finding is a great reminder... will I learn from this?  I hope so, but knowing me, probably not. :smiley:

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
How many times have I smacked my hand on the desk whilst reloading my revolvers in Dead & Buried?

I don't know, either - lost count! :s

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Luciferous
Consultant
So had my mum round tonight 76 years old. During Bullet train I told her to throw the gun at the soldier and she actually threw the controller cross the room and it hit the wall. Next time I am definitely insisting on them putting the hand loops on.

battleaxe39
Protege
The first thing I punched with the touch was my stereo, bloody nvidia funhouse with the punching gloves, had a few bumps and bbangs in vr sports so far as well, I think or hope that touch were built to take a bit of crap considering what you end up doing with them!!!

cybereality
Grand Champion
So, got my Touch controllers tonight. Within 15 minutes of playing Super Hot, I decked the crap out of my new 4K TV. It was a pretty solid punch, right into the screen. Luckily the TV survived with no damage, I was kind of worried for a second. Touch controllers are fine too. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Kuraika
Expert Protege
I nearly punched a friend in the face in Audioshield. I only got his shoulder, I should aim better next time. o:)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've smacked the ceiling twice while "celebrating" in Dead and Buried! Thankfully, the Oculus Touch Knuckle Dusters are tough 🙂

Also, the illusion of holding/chucking dynamite was so real, I actually threw my controller across the room with some real gusto. Luckily it hit the edge of my desk rather than the monitor!

Anonymous
Not applicable
LMAO yea I can't say much, ran into the door, the wall, punch the wall, the chair, and almost someone else in the face xD

I wear the straps and when I had others try - I made them wear the straps as well xD They too have hit walls and doors.

I was thinking - Oculus should sell padded room blocks so we can keep some of this lowed 😛

PIXELATED
Adventurer
Read this thread earlier & thought 'no way am I going to hit anything'..

Wrong!!!  I just fired up VR Sports challenge, hit a baseball and the left touch caught the desk, came off my hand and disappeared somewhere in the room.  So... two noises; (one louder than the other) desk and wall and I still couldn't find the touch controller.

With the help of a torch i found it had wedged itself behind the PC against the wall.  It's got a nice deep scar across it's face above the 'Y' button and the multi direction thingy is damaged, all squidgy and loose -  it's not like the other one.  Total fail on my part for not securing the wrist straps tight enough and trying to hit a virtual (imaginary) ball too hard.

Anyone got ideas about how i can get a new one (just the left one) or how to dis-assemble to repair?

:'(  
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35