New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Morrowrift - Morrowind VR (CV1/1.3 alpha! v. 3.0.2)

Comments

• superllamasuperllama Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Just tested it and I was able to successfully run Morrowrift 3.0.2 with MGE 3.8.2 as downloaded here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/morrgraphext/files/Beta Releases/MGE 3.8+ SVN builds/mge3.8.2-rev.0178.7z/download

Going out on a limb here could it possibly be your antivirus software blocking it? A few more checklist items:
    • running oculus 1.3+ drivers (incl. oculus home)
    • Morrowrift.dll and exe are in the same folder as Morrowind
    • tried launching Morrowrift.exe outside of steam

If you still can't get it to load I could try throwing together a custom debug build of Morrowrift.dll to give you messages at various stages in its loading process to see where it's stopping.

EDIT: Actually, can you try running "Morrowrift.exe -splash" via a shortcut or command line? If it doesn't say VR Mode Enabled then it's not even injecting the DLL at all.
  • Geffen111Geffen111 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    Ok, well I don't know what exactly changed, but I'm one step closer! I double checked your suggestions and gave it a go: It's rendering in stereo on my monitor and moving my Rift indicates that head tracking is ok, but I'm not getting an image on the Rift.

EDIT: Actually, I just hadn't gone through the Oculus Home startup warning. It's working!! Dude, thank you!
  • Zaga93Zaga93 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Getting an instant "MGEgui has stopped working..." :/ Using GOTY version. Tried Win XP compatibility mode, running as admin, running Morrowind.exe as admin.. Still insta-crash.
    Art3mis
    I'd try using MGE 3.8.2 instead of 3.8.0-- I confirmed a while ago that 3.8.2 works too. Also, don't use Windows XP compatibility mode, MGE is designed to run with native compatibility but requires Administrator privileges if you're linking it with the Steam version.
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    Somehow my own version of Morrowrift stopped working and is clipping things all strangely. I'll debug it as soon as I can since I'm probably not the only one having this issue. In other news, my Vive arrives today, so I might be able to port to that as well at some point.
  • rasserurasseru Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    kudos to you sir. As soon as I saw decoupled headtracking I smiled!  Time to load up morrowind
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    Nice! Any news of the Vive support? Usually Revive manages to run Rift games but doesn't work with this.
    Installed Morrowind and MGE 3.8.2 properly, but when trying to run Morrowrift it just stops working instantly. Then tried with the Revive injector and the same thing happened. -splash says VR enabled.
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    I only just managed to get my computer set up to run the vive reliably, had to upgrade my gpu to a gtx 1070, reinstall windows, and finally reseat my RAM before it would finally have good framerates without freezing (long story, apparently my ram clips came loose while I was putting the gpu in because they're pressed up against the casing of my cooling fans...). I'll probably start by trying to inject ReVive into my debug copy and see where it crashes (I may do this tomorrow or it may be a little later), though I do hope to do a full steamvr implementation eventually. Might have to call that version Morrowvive though :tongue:

EDIT: In the mean time, try the following steps:

Run Morrowrift.exe -splash and leave up the VR Enabled message
    Go to taskmgr and find the PID of Morrowind.exe
    Run ReviveInjector /handle PID
    Close the VR Enabled message

I'll try this myself later today after I get oculus home installed on my new partition and see if it works or where it crashes if it doesn't.

EDIT 2: had a busier week so far than I expected and haven't had time to do any VR stuff. I'll keep you all posted though.
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    Confirmed that Revive doesn't like my stuff no matter what I do to it, since it only supports handles passed directly from one of its processes to another... I'm looking for a quick fix that will automatically launch it from Morrowrift if you have the right exe but I'm not getting that far yet.

EDIT: I got it injected but I'm pretty sure it's crashing somewhere inside of the Revive dll now, so I'm not really sure if I can give an eta for support :/
  • GodrichmanGodrichman Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited July 2016
    Hey mate cheers for the work you have put into this so far! I've just tried it and it looks amazing! I'm having a problem though with everything disappearing once i move my cv1. I have made sure distant lands is disabled in mge (3.8.2) and that pixel shaders are disabled in the morrowindlauncher.exe.

When i load up my game in Seyda Neen and move my head everything flickers like crazy; water, buildings, people and land. I have noticed though that by launching the morrowrift.exe without moving the headset and just using the mouse the view is perfect. But once I move the headset everything flickers from then on. Also noticed that after using the morrowrift.exe the pixel shader option is switched on again in the morrowind launcher. Any ideas I can try out?

EDIT: So after more playing around I found that if distant lands is switched off it automatically switches pixel shading back on.
    Also getting outside Seyda Neen, the flickering stops if i keep my head staring straight ahead and using my mouse to control my view. But if I use my head turn around the flicking starts again.
    Art3mis
    Unfortunately since I just reinstalled windows I haven't had the chance to get my Oculus properly set up, but I will try to do so soon and see if I can replicate your issue. I actually had something similar happen a few weeks ago where it double-applied the clipping transform but I'm not entirely sure why it happened. At the very least I might be able to add a command line argument that will cut clipping transforms in half as a way to fix the symptom, pending a more complete debug/refactor when I'm not quite as busy at work.
    NerveGear
    Hey mate cheers for the response! Just thought I'd let you know that I fixed the flickering issues mostly by switching to mge 3.8.0b. During cell loading though I still get a tiny white flicker while running but compared the flickering I had previously its nothing! I have to say the game is amazing in vr; I get 80-110 fps in outside enviroments with no hitches really. This coupled with your injection technique, makes it hands down more user friendly than vorpx. More people play morrowind with this!
  • ptisingeptisinge Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Morrowvive would be awesome! I tried Morrowrift during the DK2 time but it was always crashing when leaving indoors scene to outdoors. I might revisit it now that I'm on  fresh Win 10 system, with the newer sdk and will reinstall Morrowind.
    If you ever figure out something to make it work on the Vive, please share that on the Vive sub-reddit as I'm sure lots of Vive users would be eager to test it and help make it work. Meanwhile thanks again for making this!
  • rorincloudrorincloud Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    So I Managed to get 2.4.2 working with the Vive using Libovrwrapper and revive, but the game crashes in any exterior cell on load. Version 3.0.2 crashes on start, but with the -splash command I can see that vr is enabled. I would love to give Morrowind a go on my Vive, and only being able to load interior cells is such a tease. Here's looking forward to proper Vive support.

Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for being patient everyone, I've got a lot of stuff going on right now since I work at a school and all the students are going to get here in a few days, but after everything dies down a little I'm definitely going to go through and make a proper port of everything to the OpenVR SDK. I have made a tiny bit of progress connecting to the vive but it's not doing anything yet. Eventually I should have it drawing frames to the vive and splitting the screen correctly and applying headtracking and stuff, then I'll probably throw another OpenVR-supporting alpha on google drive for everyone to try out (both vive owners who've posted here as well as people on /r/Vive). Obviously that doesn't include controller support or anything, but it should work at least as well as it does on Oculus. Hopefully I'll also be able to iron out a couple of the more common Oculus bugs too (the frustum clipping issue when certain settings are enabled is a big one).
    NerveGear
    No worries mate take your time! I play a bit of morrowrift most nights and so far I haven't had any major issues but some of those extra settings would be appreciated if the ever make it in. So will your OpenVR implementation also support the rift or just Vive only? 
    Art3mis
    I guess it'll technically support rift as well as OpenVR normally does, but I don't plan to test it much since I already have an Oculus SDK implementation I can use. I'll probably just maintain both of them rather than trying to consolidate both of them under OpenVR, given the frequency of problems running OpenVR games on the rift. But yeah, planning to work on the Vive implementation some more today or tomorrow so we might see some new progress soon.
  • xeturaxetura Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Any update on this? I can't get it to work with my CV1. It just gives me a black screen.
    Art3mis
    If the mirror window on the monitor is also black, it's more likely that you have a configuration problem than there being a problem with CV1 support-- does MGE work normally if you don't run Morrowrift.exe? Which version of MGE are you using? Have you tried disabling things like Anti-Aliasing, Pixel Shaders, etc in MGE to see if that makes a difference? If the mirror window looks right though and it's just not drawing to your Rift, it's possible they updated their SDK in the last few months and broke something. Other CV1 users would probably be able to confirm this, I myself only have a DK2.
    NerveGear
    I tried a few different versions of MGE. I had AA and distant land disabled. I was able to get MGE 3.8.2 to work with Vorpx, but Vorpx is pretty limited and unplayable with the HUD. I'll try a few of your suggestions when I get home tonight and post my results.
    NerveGear
    Alright... I ended up getting a new gfx card(geforce 1080, upgraded from 2x R9 290's). I still get a black screen on the monitor and on my rift... but now it hard locks the computer and I have to do a hard reset. I ran into this in HL2 as well, so I guess I'll just forget about this for now.
  • HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 326
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    Unfortunately Morrowrift.exe did not run. It has administrative privileges as does everything else and this is a non Steam copy that runs fine by itself i.e. when playing without Morrowrift

Arry93 said:
    Getting an instant "MGEgui has stopped working..." :/ Using GOTY version. Tried Win XP compatibility mode, running as admin, running Morrowind.exe as admin.. Still insta-crash.

3.8.2 did not work..didn't even try to start. 3.8.0 is OK. If you get some initial errors about missing resolution, run the Morrowind Launcher (the original one) and set resolution there (oh my word this doesn't offer 16:9 hah). If you do not do this, you will also get the unhandled exception program error in MGE when trying to change the resolution later on.

Are we meant to adjust any thing in MGE other than the three settings to intentionally avoid? 
    Should we just select Best Quality?

Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    Are you getting any crashes or anything when running Morrowrift.exe? Is MGE 3.8.0 working normally with the message in the top left when running the regular Morrowind.exe? If Morrowrift.exe and Morrowrift.dll are in the same folder as Morrowind.exe and are set to run as admin, MGE is working, but Morrowrift.exe still does not launch and has no crashes, I may need to post a debug launcher to give more detailed messages about where it stops working.
    Trinity
    Hello,

I have no crashes with Morrowind
    MGE is showing it's display on screen
    All files are together in root and have administrative privileges.
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    That's really weird, I suppose it could have something to do with oculus runtimes but if you could try running this version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-senRPclpEbTEtYzA/view (password is "debug") and post any errors it gives you there might be something else going on.

EDIT: Just realized I may have misunderstood your post-- are you unable to get Morrowrift.exe to work under both 3.8.0 and 3.8.2, or is it just 3.8.2 that's having problems? I've noticed some people have better luck with one version or the other for some reason, I'm not entirely sure why though. If you're unable to get Morrowrift.exe to do anything regardless of the MGE version installed, the debug link above might shed some light on why.
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    3.8.2 will not run for me at all. I do not even see it appear in Task Manger. 3.8.0 works fine (at least in that it runs, allows me to change settings and appears in the screen corner when running Morrowind).

When I get to your Morrowrift, it also does not run and I can't catch it in the process list either.

EDIT :  Tried with the second version you linked, again nothing ran. I have a mwse-mge log which shows : 

Morrowind Script Extender v0.9.3
    Morrowind Graphics Extender (v3.8.0)
    MWSE Copyright (C) 2003-2007 FreshFish copyleft GPL

This program is free software, licensed according to the GNU Public License,
    and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  Visit http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for details.
    MWSE contributers: cdcooley, Fliggerty, Tp21, Timeslip and probably others
    MGE contributers: LizTail, Scanti

DLL injected
    MWSE: setting page protection
    MWSE: setting initial breakpoints

and a ProgramFlow :

000000: Program Started
    000000: Computer Name: Hollywood
    000000: Creating Windows

• RickyJarvinksRickyJarvinks Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I was thinking about whipping out my old copy of Morrowind again just for the music but DAMN this really clinched the deal!
    Art3mis
    If you run Morrowrift.exe outside of the morrowind directory, does it display any messages? With that debug version, it should be just about impossible for it to not do anything at all if it's crashing in any of the usual areas (it should at least display some kind of messagebox), so I'm thinking it must either be crashing at the very beginning due to something stopping it from loading the Oculus runtimes, or there could be some kind of antivirus or something blocking it because of the way it injects code into Morrowind... without any error messages at all it's hard to tell, though. My exe doesn't do anything to the mwse-mge log, it displays errors through windows popup boxes, so if nothing is showing up at all it sounds like something is actually preventing my code from running at all.
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    If you run Morrowrift.exe outside of the morrowind directory, does it display any messages? With that debug version, it should be just about impossible for it to not do anything at all if it's crashing in any of the usual areas (it should at least display some kind of messagebox), so I'm thinking it must either be crashing at the very beginning due to something stopping it from loading the Oculus runtimes, or there could be some kind of antivirus or something blocking it because of the way it injects code into Morrowind... without any error messages at all it's hard to tell, though. My exe doesn't do anything to the mwse-mge log, it displays errors through windows popup boxes, so if nothing is showing up at all it sounds like something is actually preventing my code from running at all.
    @superllama

It was the RTSS overlay by MSI Afterburner. I heard whispers about overlays (as they always are by nature) being problematic with VR technology and software. More and more I've been disabling it as a troubleshooting method and decided to apply that to the list of things with this.

Sure enough, it loaded right up.

To answer your question though, when I try to run the morrowrift outside of the root directory, it does leave a detailed message about being in the wrong location.

Unfortunately there's this issue(or expected behavior?) where when I turn and look to the sides I can see the edge of the virtual screen running off into the blackness. It's the same as when the menu is loading and you look around, you get that warping effect and the black area around. 

I thought this was going to be only in the menus though it shows in the game at times as well.

Now...when you working on Touch :)?
    I am going to use xpadder or xbox 360 emulator in the meantime for the gamepad.
    Art3mis
    Awesome, glad you figured out what was causing it. Sounds like the overlay might've been fighting with Morrowrift over who gets to hook Morrowind's DirectX calls or something and causing an invisible crash, or something similar to that anyway. As for the screen edges appearing sometimes, that sounds like it may just be the timewarp kicking in when the game freezes, which is something morrowind does pretty often especially when cells are loading and things. Before timewarp was implemented it would actually freeze headtracking too which was even more annoying, but since it's caused by the game itself simply not rendering frames there's not much I can do about it.

I am saving up for a pair of Touch controllers and hope to eventually add some kind of support for them, though I've had a Vive for a while and haven't had the time to add support for it either so I'm not really sure how long it would take to get something like that working. I personally use a Steam controller to play Morrowrift, but any sort of program that binds gamepad controls to keys should work fine until native controller support can be added.

Though I'm still trying to maintain the 3.x codebase for this, I'm also working on another replacement with even more abstraction for different devices and games, which I'm hoping will be able to natively support controllers, other headsets, and possibly even motion controllers at some point (and make it simpler to port everything to oblivion and skyrim as well). It's been slowly progressing and it'll probably be a while before I have anything presentable, but it's definitely something I'm working towards.