cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom 3 BFG Edition (RB + OpenVR)

Leyland
Expert Protege
You can find the latest version here, last updated Dec 13, 2016, 6:19 PM PST, it is based upon RB DOOM 3 BFG and OpenVR:

https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases/tag/1.1.0-openvr12

There is 4 ways to play:
* Seated with Gamepad or Keyboard / Mouse, view independent weapon
* Seated with Gamepad or Keyboard / Mouse, weapon attached to view
* Standing with Gamepad
* Standing with VR controllers

By default it is in standing mode, to enable seated mode in the console (~ key) type:
vr_seated 1

By default seated mode has a view independent weapon, to have the weapon attached to the view in the console type:
vr_aimLook 1

For standing mode you can set your height in the console by typing this with your height in centimeters:
vr_playerHeightCM 171

For seated mode to recenter your body (affects things like movement direction, menu direction, and tilting):
vr_resetPose

The blue circle under your feet is SteamVRs Chaperone, I can't do anything about it in the game BUT you can make it invisible by editing the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings" and change "CollisionBoundsColorGammaA"  to 0 (The source for this work around was http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/535151589885341101/?ctp=2)

If you want to submit issues on github do it here:
https://github.com/Codes4Fun/RBDOOM-3-BFG/issues

83 REPLIES 83

Leyland
Expert Protege

HoIIywood said:

Onward's system is the best I have tried so far. Where you aim your body dictates where you are travelling to, and then you move with the joystick as normal. Meanwhile your headtracking is your view and is decoupled from any other movement. I even find myself taking small steps and walking in place while playing it because I am in such control.

I have a mode like that, and one that lets you use your right hand direction also, but that is coming in the next release. I'm hoping to polish things for Touch, when it arrives...

Trying that mode I really didn't notice much difference either. Usually as I walk forward, I like to look left or right around corners in cubicles as I pass them, and I thought this would disrupt my direction (my head turning would change my desired move direction), but I found myself adjusting kind of automatically to strafing (without thinking about it), it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to keep my general movement direction. So it is a good option to have, plus there are times I would like to use the flashlight when looking around also.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've been trying to sort this for a while now, but am unable to.

Everything appears to be working just fine as far as the graphics and movement goes, but I am unable to speak to anyone with the Y button and also can't seem to get anything to work as E. I did look in the control options but was none the wiser.

The other problem is that my chin is on the ground except for the cutscenes, which are fine (I set up SteamVR roomscale just fine) but I can't get the console to come up, to enter the necessary commands. I have a UK keyboard and tilde is doing nothing - nor are the other keys that are usually used for consoles in games.

Could do with some help, please 🙂

Edit: I have also tried using the autoexec.cfg with the console enable command but it also doesn't work with this.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Leyland
Expert Protege
@Brixmis

What controls are you using? The "Y" is for gamepads only, if you are using the Touch controller, you talk to people with the trigger only, the graphics in the game are not updated to reflect this.

Does the keyboard work in otherways (arrow keys, enter key, escape key, etc) or only the console key doesn't work?

Also make sure that the game has focus in Windows, otherwise keyboard input will go to what ever application has stolen focus. Sometimes this occurs if SteamVR isn't started before running the game, SteamVR when it launches will steal focus (and keyboard input with it) and the game will end up being unresponsive until you use the mouse to select it or alt-tab to the game.

Console should be enabled by default.

elboffor
Consultant
@Leyland
@Samson
You guys really should merge efforts and give us all a nerdgasm with your combined release.

I've used both mods but not recently (waiting for santa to release the touch controller that I pre-orderred n paid for 😕 )

Also Samson, can I please request that when you release you source you don't edit your comments. early development comments are fucking beautiful to read, It's what I imagine reading a book to be like (I've never read a book all the way through).
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Thanks Leyland. I was using Touch - but had to return them, so I'll be back on the gamepad (or preferably mouse & keyboard) now.

I started the game via the exe in the root folder. This got SteamVR started. Everything else seemed to work okay.
I used the tilde key, and tried the @ and ` keys for the console, as they sometimes seem to get changed around in some games for the console due to keyboard differences, I guess. The other keyboard keys worked fine in the game.

I'll have another go later today

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

One-shot
Explorer
Just tried it today with touch and pretty much is perfect except I am having trouble with movement. The analog stick to move seems to work when strafing left, right and backward, but forwards most of the time doesn't work at all. Sometimes after fiddling around in game I can get it to go for a bit, but then the issue comes back. Anyone else have an issue like this, or is it simply because it's meant for a Vive touchpad currently?

Leyland
Expert Protege

One-shot said:

Just tried it today with touch and pretty much is perfect except I am having trouble with movement. The analog stick to move seems to work when strafing left, right and backward, but forwards most of the time doesn't work at all. Sometimes after fiddling around in game I can get it to go for a bit, but then the issue comes back. Anyone else have an issue like this, or is it simply because it's meant for a Vive touchpad currently?

I've heard issues like this from others. I am not getting my Touch until friday, so I will not be able to fix them, but I released a new build that should work better for joysticks.

One-shot
Explorer

Leyland said:

One-shot said:

I've heard issues like this from others. I am not getting my Touch until friday, so I will not be able to fix them, but I released a new build that should work better for joysticks.

Yup I just gave the new version a try, and it made the right analog stick better. Before you had to press down and move the stick to change weapons and now you can just move the stick. Left analog stick to move is still having the same issue I said before.

One-shot
Explorer
Just a little more specific info after messing a bit more with it. It seems that moving forward works only when you put a little pressure on the stick, but not enough to where it fully clicks in and toggles sprint.

Leyland
Expert Protege

One-shot said:

Just a little more specific info after messing a bit more with it. It seems that moving forward works only when you put a little pressure on the stick, but not enough to where it fully clicks in and toggles sprint.

This is interesting, I think I may know what is going on, I just am confused why it doesn't happen to more people. OpenVR has a concept of touch, which comes from the fact that Vive has touchpads, and I may NOT be ignoring touch for joysticks like I should be. The razer hydra openvr drivers I recall artificially set touch when the joystick is moved.