cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your Oculus sensor setup?

Zuh
Adventurer
It would be interesting to know what is your Oculus VR setup? Feel free to share your experiences and tips!  🙂
99 REPLIES 99

Greyman
Superstar
2 sensors, about 4ft apart, on either end of my 3-monitor setup, work perfectly for my small touch playspace and for when i'm playing seated games like DCS world.  I just need a bigger playspace. 🙂

Awsedrftg
Protege
I ordered a third sensor to be able to use the Touches when facing backwards (like in Trials on Tatooine). Funnily though I discovered that I finished Super Hot today using only 1 sensor! I did notice some erratic behavior of the touch controllers but didn't give it much thought (I was playing Super Hot!). Trying to solve the erratic behavior I found I disconnected one of the sensors previously (needed it for a thumb drive)  😄

Lemming1970
Rising Star
Two at the front, and one to the rear. 6'6" wide by 8' deep play area.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Zuh
Adventurer
I was using 2 sensors in 360° set-up for a week now. I had instances of loosing tracking but nothing serious. I have received 3rd sensor today and decided to use it with USB 3.0 (passive) extender instead USB 2.0 (active) provided. At the beginning I had problem with error: USB Bandwidth Exceeded while 3 sensors and HMD ware plugged to the same Inateck USB card. I Ignored It but ended up with no sound in my HMD :p. I have sovled the problem by plugging HMD USB cable to motherboard. From there everything went smoothly. I had not much time to test 3 camera set-up properly but Seems like Tracking is a bit better. I still had couple situations where controllers "shake" a bit. I will share more findings as it goes. I'm pretty excited to do some more "testing" 😄

Btw. I'm right now using USB 3.0 extensions for all 3 sensors 1m, 3m and 5m (about 3ft, 9ft and 16ft).

nalex66
MVP
MVP
So far I'm doing okay with two cameras (one up high on a shelf to my right, one on my desk to the left of my monitor). I sometimes lose tracking when I try to pick up a virtual item from the floor, but that's mostly due to my space being small, so I'm a little too close to my desk (no room to back away).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

FlakMagnet
Adventurer
Three sensors - two in front at ceiling height about 6 feet apart and a third at about 18 inches below ceiling height and about 8 feet away on opposite wall. Third sensor is also 3 feet to the left of my left-most sensor when I'm facing forward.

I have an 'Optimal' play space according to the setup, but I have a bit of a dead corner if I walk right into it (the corner under the back sensor). It's only a small triangle in the corner about 2 feet along each of the two shorter sides. This is because the third camera cannot see directly below itself the way it's positioned.

The rest of the play space I get VERY good tracking except a few tiny issues in corners if I hold the Touch controllers really close to my body and walk into the corner. Apart from that - it's epic!

HiThere_
Superstar
I was using two sensors in two opposite corners, and for 360° standing up VR it was working out great...

But in a game like Dead and Buried :
- Worked fine in "Horde" mode when I was mostly standing up in the middle of my room the whole time.
- Worked poorly in 2vs2 mode when I was crouching down and twisting and jumping all over the place (within my ~2mx2m space) : That one needs two front facing cameras to work.

Basically what I found is that :
- The two front facing 180° camera setting (front-right + front-left) provides a full room tracking over your VR space, but only when you're facing the two cameras.
- The two opposite corner 360° camera setting (front-right + rear-left) provides a full 360° tracking, but only when you're standing in the middle of your VR space.
- The three camera setting Oculus VR recommends when using 3 cameras, is in fact the direct combination of having a dual front facing setting + opposite corner setting : Front-right + front left + rear-left.

Summary :
- 2 cameras is for choosing between the front facing only room scale setting or the standing in the middle only 360° setting.
- The third camera can be used to combine both modes : The room scale + the 360°

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Can I vote for "1 Oculus rift+1 sensor+1 sensor and touch laying in the box+waiting for two USB extensions to be delivered?"

Zuh
Adventurer

TwoHedWlf said:

Can I vote for "1 Oculus rift+1 sensor+1 sensor and touch laying in the box+waiting for two USB extensions to be delivered?"

Just vote for set-up you are expecting to have and share your experience when everything will be ready 🙂