cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY an usb 2.0?? (additional sensor extension cable)

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
I just received one of the 2 additional sensors i've ordered, and i see that the extension cable (15 feet) is a 2.0 cable... is that ok?
Wouldn't it be a better idea to give us a 3.0 extension cable?
Just Asking u.u
35 REPLIES 35

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
Well, good to know, i tried it and i got a strange problem with the right controller, it started vibrating and beeping (like i was pressing buttons) non stop
After i nremoved the 3rd camera and resinc the controller, it stopped, now i have to see if the solution was removing the camera AND resinc, or just resinc i.i

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
It was bad enough that Oculus went with USB for the sensors, though the glaring issue is the way it's been communicated to the public. There is too much misinformation and misdirection, instead of simple guidance and black and white data.

Their site says that the 'third' sensor can/should be 2.0 but does not state specifically why. And yet in the same breath, says USB 3.0 would be better. At no point do they attempt to differentiate what is what and why. Yet then leave forum staff and some support employees to reluctantly comment that it's due to bandwidth issues.

Then we come to find out that the sensors are so poorly designed that most of your basic USB 3.0 extension which will work fine with other devices, won't work with the sensors or the HMD. And furthering that, USB 2.0 will fail often in the same scenario.

Also we've been told that 2.0 won't provide as good tracking results. I therefor disapprove of the suggestion to use 2.0 on the third camera because most of time the third camera is the one doing the rear tracking. I would rather have one of the front ones have reduced tracking, with the slack being picked up by the other front sensor on 3.0, and let the rear one have the best tracking it can because it's by itself. 

This is definitely one area where I could see the myself being swayed to the Vive. Two sensors, power plug..done. But those Vive wands, yuck....

Kalec84 said:

Well, good to know, i tried it and i got a strange problem with the right controller, it started vibrating and beeping (like i was pressing buttons) non stop
After i nremoved the 3rd camera and resinc the controller, it stopped, now i have to see if the solution was removing the camera AND resinc, or just resinc i.i

Thanks for that information

Zuh
Adventurer
I can confirm that in the box there is an active usb 2.0 cable. I'm using my own passive 3.0 though. I haven't done proper testing yet.

OK thanks for the confirmation @Zuhook & @elboffor.

I'm on the verge of ordering a pair of extra sensors... just got to decide if I should finish my Christmas shopping first!

cybereality
Grand Champion
The requirements have always been upfront, but the reasons behind them maybe not widely publicized. In any case, people can find their answers on the forum, or through customer support if they are interested in the reasons why (otherwise they can just follow the clear setup instructions and trust they are true).

To be honest, in practice I don't believe there is a noticeable difference between using the sensors on USB 3.0 or USB 2.0. From what I was told, there is a benefit from USB 3.0 but honestly USB 2.0 works fine and in my experience the difference in quality is that great or even noticeable at all.

The requirements are that only 2 sensors can be on USB 3.0, while the others be on USB 2.0. It doesn't matter which ones are which. So you can have your two front sensors on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and then have the back senor (3rd sensor) on USB 3.0 if you want. That's fine.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

HoIIywood said:

It was bad enough that Oculus went with USB for the sensors, 

Do you have a suggestion for something else they should have used?

elboffor
Consultant

@elboffor, are you sure? I'd read it was a passive 15ft USB 2 cable, and 5 metres would be fine for passive.

Well either way, cyber's confirmed it's a bandwidth issue that's the reason for USB 2.

This is the actual cable (very cheap looking i must admit)
gy2e7iuj3jlz.jpg
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

thanks @elboffor , nothing wrong with cheap if it works I guess!!

...I've had a few male to female active extensions in my time

elboffor
Consultant
I wouldn't know, I ain't using it 😉 (not yet anyways)
USB 3.0 3m cable from my newly purchased inatech card to one front sensor, and direct from my onboard usb 3.0 to the other.
when my misses allows me to have my touch (dam you Santa Claus *shakes fist*) ill be using this on an actual stand on a table on the other side of the room. my front sensors are perma in place though 🙂

But even just for the rift I've got far better tracking, my ceilings are high so my nearest sensor is around 5 feet away from my seated position and furthest about 9 foot but it still seems to be silky smooth (maybe it's placebo but w/e as long as i think it's an improvement)
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Well it's a fantastic Christmas present, that's for sure.