cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch controller spinning/spiraling out from real hand..

Nikorasu
Adventurer
Every once in a while, maybe every 5-10 minutes or so, even when in view of both cameras, I've noticed one of my hands, usually the left hand, but sometimes the right too, will start spinning/vibrating a bit, which gets worse over the next couple seconds, until the virtual hand/controller is violently spiraling around where my real hand is positioned. Then, after another couple seconds, it pops back to normal and stops, till it happens again a little later.

At first I noticed it in Medium, cause I spent a few hours in that, but I just noticed it in Home too, so now I know it happens across everything. 😞
74 REPLIES 74

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

I'm hoping this will be fixed before Friday when my controllers arrive. If so  I guess that's the bright side of being late to the party.

Lol, but I'd like to see it done right rather than done quick 😉

And it is not as bad as you might think. Not everybody seems to be affected to the same degree... just to add some observations...

One time I noticed after putting the controllers on the desk (upon finishing gaming) I could see them floating in Oculus Home at their virtual position. However, the height of one of them was totally off. But as soon as I took it in my hand, it snapped into position and tracking was seemingly fine. Laying it back down it seemed to "fall" too far so it again appeared at the wrong height / too low.

Also sometimes one of them doesnt show up in VR (ableit I pressed a button before to switch it on) while resting on the desk. Only after I grab it, it appears in VR (Oculus Home).

Then, one time after starting PC and lauchning a game, controller tracking was jittery and unprecise, becoming worse with time - just unusuable. I reset the sensor tracking and after that it worked again.

Thats the only incidents I remember so far.

Aside from this (usually) I could use them for an hour in a row without noticable issues.

Greets!

sw33tp34
Honored Guest
I have a similar issue, with the added problem of Guardian shifting a foot to the right mid game.  It has happened on stream twice.  I check it and its against the wall, then its 12-18'' to the right of the right wall so i hit my hand.

Nikorasu
Adventurer

sw33tp34 said:

I have a similar issue, with the added problem of Guardian shifting a foot to the right mid game.  It has happened on stream twice.  I check it and its against the wall, then its 12-18'' to the right of the right wall so i hit my hand.

That seems like a different issue. Are your cameras secure, and unmovable where you've placed them? That sounds like one of them gets nudged or wiggled, like if my cat bumps one (which is why they're tapped down now). Did you try remapping the Guardian area out again?
You should send Oculus support a message about it, sounds like something they'd need to help with.

nrosko
Superstar
Here is my log file, but i still suspect its down to limitations of the hardware. 

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

nrosko said:

Here is my log file, but i still suspect its down to limitations of the hardware. 

You reported glitchy/sticky tracking with one hand compelely off after half an hour.  You may have a defective unit, you may have a somewhat special or strange sensor setup or you may be suffering from software bugs.... but what you reported is certainly not something caused by general "limitations of the hardware".

Moon920
Protege
I'm not too thrilled about the overall tracking quality.  I wouldn't say it's bad, just not great.  I feel spoiled after trying the Vive, that was some truly flawless tracking.  Now if someone could make the Oculus Rift and Touch work with the Vive lighthouses, we'd really have something.  I ordered a 3rd Oculus sensor, I really hope tracking improves.  Tracking glitches are most noticeable for me in the archery level of The Lab.  Sometimes my bow would just flip sideways.

XlordB
Adventurer
yeh my right controller and left are taking on minds of their own in medium mostly im constantly in view of both sensors but these things are annoying.. I hope reflective stuff doesnt interfere.. also i hope monitor leds or tv leds dont interfere either.. as i have noticed if you wave the controllers near a tv or monittor tracking gets sketchy at best. hope we dont need to wait much longer for a fix and also hope that soon oculus get out of beta its about time we had a proper friends contact interface in home.

nrosko
Superstar

nrosko said:

You reported glitchy/sticky tracking with one hand compelely off after half an hour.  You may have a defective unit, you may have a somewhat special or strange sensor setup or you may be suffering from software bugs.... but what you reported is certainly not something caused by general "limitations of the hardware".

yeah i have reported it, its probably a bit of both, I think the way the tracking just glitches slightly even when in clear view of 2 cameras & then gets worse over time is a software/hardware issue but i also think that the sensors have poor range I almost feel i need 8 of them to cover the 3d space. I've tried to find some info on the angles they cover but there isn't much info & i'm just pointed to the setup pdf. 

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer
That is strange. I have complained myself about poor range as I was getting distance wobble starting about 1,5m from the sensor... in a single sensor setup.

That was solved immefiatly with the second sensor that came with touch. Then again my play area isnt that big... about 2,5 x 2,5m. Maybe a bit smaller. But I have the feeling the HMD cable wouldnt allow for much more anyway.
In the meantime I added a 3rd sensor and generally feel the tracking to be perfect.
There were a few incidents I wrote about earlier and I hope those get fixed but generally tracking is good for me. No interim snapping, jittering or anything.

So far I tried first contact, fully played through superhot and multiple times through bullet train, briefly tried ripcoil, dead & buried, vr sports challenge and quill.

I observed no persistent or general faults that would be caused by general inablity of the hardware.

Using extensions on the HMD cable to utilize bigger playspaces however, I could see the optical tracking come to its limits quickly....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine are ceiling mounted in opposing corners mounted on the bottom of my lighthouse trackers (lighthouses are unplugged while using Rift Sensors) aimed down at the 3mx2.5m (was using 2 sensor 360 setup before third sensor arrived). Third camera is in front corner ala the guide for 3 sensor 360. Tracking space seems perfect testing in Toy Box and the sensor setup screen for the field works without issue, adjusting playspace in headset in setup automatically places circle in center of playspace with excellent 360 tracking of controllers testing. Games like Dead and Buried work great 360 for 45+ minutes, just seems at some point the right hand decides to drift randomly. Verified all 24 IR LEDs are operating fine on both controllers with a smartphone camera.

I'm point to possible handoff issues or the fact that 2 corner opposing cameras are ceiling mounted, front right camrea is on a desk aimed out at a different height then the opposing corners. Possibly a calculation issue with different sensor height causing some discrepancy between two cameras tracking causing the floating / drift we see. Hopefully logs and us detailing setup / issue will help make some tweaks.