cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY an usb 2.0?? (additional sensor extension cable)

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
I just received one of the 2 additional sensors i've ordered, and i see that the extension cable (15 feet) is a 2.0 cable... is that ok?
Wouldn't it be a better idea to give us a 3.0 extension cable?
Just Asking u.u
35 REPLIES 35

elboffor
Consultant
well for the first time in years ill have something to play with on Christmas day other than my children's toys.

In retaliation to the missus deciding she would pay for my touch, i spent the equivalent on games, the extra sensor and a new pci card. 
So i suppose it worked out well.

The real fun starts when the family turn up and i want to put a table in the middle of my play space for dinner!!!
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
I'm glad it comes with an extension, just surprised it wasn't made by oculus. 

My tracking for the sensor has been telling me it's waiting on USPS to pick it up for the last 3 days..

bigmike20vt
Visionary
active usb..... sorry for dumb Q but does that mean i have to plug it in to mains power it?  if so that is a pain!.

Whilst i have been happy with the tracking from constellation setup, with all these quirks I cant help but feel the lighthouse system is a much simpler to use set up. the amount of cables coming from my pc is such a mess imo. (just an opinion not stating as fact based on observations  before the usual suspect accuses me of lying or some such)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

The requirements have always been upfront, but the reasons behind them maybe not widely publicized. In any case, people can find their answers on the forum, or through customer support if they are interested in the reasons why (otherwise they can just follow the clear setup instructions and trust they are true).

To be honest, in practice I don't believe there is a noticeable difference between using the sensors on USB 3.0 or USB 2.0. From what I was told, there is a benefit from USB 3.0 but honestly USB 2.0 works fine and in my experience the difference in quality is that great or even noticeable at all.

The requirements are that only 2 sensors can be on USB 3.0, while the others be on USB 2.0. It doesn't matter which ones are which. So you can have your two front sensors on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and then have the back senor (3rd sensor) on USB 3.0 if you want. That's fine.

If a customer has to take the extra step of going onto another medium (the internet forums which are not classed as on official source for product information) to find further details to make their product work, then that's a marketing and business model failure.

Imagine a forum that didn't have a direct representative as yourself, or other members who were forth coming with sharing data....we'd be lost.

You are right, I don't believe there is a difference.

But now you are adding fuel to my claim about misinformation. You are stating that the 'requirements' are that two sensors be on 3.0 and one be on 2.0. That is not what Oculus claims at all. They say it's optional under the premise that you can't arrange a 3.0 connection. 

TwoHedWlf said:

HoIIywood said:

It was bad enough that Oculus went with USB for the sensors, 

Do you have a suggestion for something else they should have used?

HTC 
No. 88, Section 3, Zhongxing Rd,
Xindian District,
New Taipei City,
Taiwan 231

This gentlemen understands why we like the guys over in New Taipei :

active usb..... sorry for dumb Q but does that mean i have to plug it in to mains power it?  if so that is a pain!.

Whilst i have been happy with the tracking from constellation setup, with all these quirks I cant help but feel the lighthouse system is a much simpler to use set up. the amount of cables coming from my pc is such a mess imo. (just an opinion not stating as fact based on observations  before the usual suspect accuses me of lying or some such)

and no, you do not have to mains power it. It's a feature of the cable that is going to be useless for most people because those whom tried to plan and arrange a setup for three cameras, went out and bought all USB 3.0 extenders, of which were passive because past a certain length, even active cables were having difficulty.

Which leads me on to ...

elboffor said:

@elboffor, are you sure? I'd read it was a passive 15ft USB 2 cable, and 5 metres would be fine for passive.

Well either way, cyber's confirmed it's a bandwidth issue that's the reason for USB 2.

This is the actual cable (very cheap looking i must admit)
gy2e7iuj3jlz.jpg

The fact they had to use an active one as well..where as all the others we've been sticking to and advised are passive. Just more confusion...

My understanding is that the cable takes the power from the USB bus, it must take very little power though, given it's just amplifying and cleaning up the signal

kevink808
Superstar
A lot of conjecture here...how about actually applying the various cable/cam setups and reporting back?
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Anonymous
Not applicable
After setting up a 3 sensor system to oculus experimental room scale instructions including the USB 2 cable in the box. I have found this works perfectly even at the point I'm farthest from the 2 front sensors with my back to them.

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer

HoIIywood said:
If a customer has to take the extra step of going onto another medium (the internet forums which are not classed as on official source for product information) to find further details to make their product work, then that's a marketing and business model failure.
Hollywood, do you actually have an issue? I plugged my third sensor into a spare USB port and everything Just Worked. Happened to be USB3, but I've tried it in a USB2 as well, continued to Just Work.

Nothing you've said reveals why you're being so scathing about the supplied info.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The point I was trying to make is that the setup process, which runs when you first connect your Rift or Touch, clearly states what hardware is needed, and tests all the ports and cables. So, for example, if you run out of USB 3.0 bandwidth it will tell you on the screen and advice to use a USB 2.0 port. The exact reasons are not really important, but if people are really interested, they can find the info on their own. Understanding the why is not needed to use the product.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

elboffor
Consultant
Good point well made cyber
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.