cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better than the guardian system

cybernettr
Superstar
 I had my oculus touch set up and I was playing the bullet train demo the other day and I noticed that every time I moved ever so slightly when I was in the train car, the Guardian system guidelines appeared.  This despite the fact that when I set up the guardian system, it said my play area was "moderate."  I couldn't even shift my weight from one foot to the other without the guardian guidelines appearing! It was very immersion breaking!  This is how I resolved the problem:

I have a chair mat on my floor in front of my computer desk to protect the carpeting.  If I take off my shoes (or house slippers) and stand right at the edge of the chair mat, I can feel it with my left foot. This has the added advantage of taking me away from being right in front of the computer screen.  

I turned off the Guardian system completely.  I don't need it, because I know exactly where I am because I can feel the edge of the chair mat with my left foot.  

This ties in with a clever idea I read on C/Net or somewhere.  If you are playing on a hard floor, you can get a throw rug that is roughly the size of your play area.  That way, if you play in your stocking feet, you can always feel when you are in the safe zone. If your playing area is already carpeted, you can buy a couple  of chairmats from the office supply store to define your safe zone.

Physical safeguards like this will probably be better than the guardian system for most people.  Hope this idea helps someone. 
18 REPLIES 18

AndrewJ71
Heroic Explorer
+1 for turning off the Guardian walls and leaving on the Guardian floor.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
The walls are important for getting your attention, though - I don't watch the floor when I'm going to catch a football in VR Sports Challenge and need to jump to the side to do it 🙂

Vic20
Protege
I use a similar method now instead of the Guardian. I use a small mat and place a pen under the mat facing the PC so I know where I am.

n3cr0-0
Adventurer
although the walls are not there the display still blacks out if you venture too far; I have enopugh room so I just set the boundaries well away from things that are breakable (for instance my computer since it's out in the open with a bunch of liquid tubes everywhere)

Much more immersive with zero gimmicks

Elunedra
Protege
i had the same problem with the guardian system, it feels like i am standing in a small cage, but after playing for like 30 minuts it became natural,and it didnt break immersion so much

Baz_uK
Expert Protege

n3cr0-0 said:

I just turned off the walls but still use the guardian system... no more grid in my face.

This, my room  is small and guardian was pretty much on all time,  so just use floor line now....easy fix. However my room is so small I can't move anyway....so I just don't!! I know it sucks,  but I have never hit anything- yay 

bluenose1875
Explorer
How do you just turn of the walls ?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Open the Universal Menu (Oculus/Xbox button) and look on the bottom of the menu on Guardian Settings.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

HiThere_
Superstar

n3cr0-0 said:

although the walls are not there the display still blacks out if you venture too far;

In that case a good solution would be to define the Guardian zone with the size of a small central rug, then turn off the walls.

This has the intended effect of only tracking your headset (not your hand controllers), and triggering a warning (by blackening out the display) when your headset moves too far away from the center of your VR space.

Which guarantees that if the display isn't darkened, it's because you are far away from your room borders and have full arm clearance. Which is precisely what the default Guardian wall mechanics fail to guarantee.