cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Describe your First (or Worst) Time Smackin' Your Touch Into Things

CrashFu
Consultant
Second session with Touch, got into the VR Sports and was playing the Hockey game. Got a liiiiiittle too eager to swat an incoming puck and punched my right-hand Touch into a desk.   Had to scrub it like hell with rubbing alcohol and paper towels (I hope the right choice?) to get the white paint mark off, but there's still a scuff/scar in the plastic, as you can see here:

bzoem5nqgs0d.jpg

Merely cosmetic damage, of course.  Touch controls are indestructible, practically speaking :+1:

Incidentally, this made me realize just how ingenious the Touch's ring/cuff shaped design is.   That outer ring will definitely protect your hand if you swing into something, and likely absorbs impacts enough to protect more sensitive parts in the handle / face of the controls, whereas (to my knowledge) there's nothing important IN the ring itself except for the internal IR lights.

How about you guys?  Photos of any related damage are encouraged.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
78 REPLIES 78

Wolfox
Protege

falken76
Expert Consultant
I have not even played my copy of The Climb and I've only tried hockey in VR Sports.  I'm pretty good at gauging where I am since I glance out the nose area periodically to get my bearings, but I know for a fact that those games would have me hitting walls and the ceiling since it's so low.  I'm 6 foot tall and the ceiling in my room slants, it starts at about 10 feet and slants down to about 7.5 feet.  The configuration in my room sucks, so in order for it to even fit, I have to stand under the section that's 7.5 feet just to get Moderate space,  I don't have a problem hitting the actual walls or throwing the controllers, I keep hitting that damn ceiling though.  One time it was enough to cause one of the controllers to lose it's link with the computer.  I don't really want to set this thing up in the living room but I just might have to.  These controllers are too expensive and according to what I'm reading, they're taking the type of abuse my Sega Genesis controllers did when I got Techno Cop.  The end result was a controller swung helicopter style to get momentum and flung against the wall where it exploded into pieces of plastic, and circuitboard chunks.

What kind of warranty do they have?  Technically all of these stories wouldn't be covered under normal warranties since these are 100% neglect cases....

I'm not playing the climb or vr sports until I move this into a room with the space, I just know I'll hit things.

I love the game Holoball but I can't play it much, I can't play properly because I can't do ANY overhand swings.

CrashFu
Consultant

PIXELATED said:

Anyone got ideas about how i can get a new one (just the left one) or how to dis-assemble to repair?

:'(  

Owch, tough break, no pun intended. Good news is that Support could probably help you out there, since your Touch controllers are presumably covered under warranty, but....

The bad news is that because of the cost (and demand) for these things, you'll almost certainly have to send in the damaged one before you can get a new one..  and it'll take time.  Time to talk to support and get processed through the right channels and get the repair/replacement authorized, time waiting for the mail to get it to them, time waiting to get the new/repaired one back...

So.... I hope there's stuff you can play one-handed in the mean-time. :sweat:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
I hit the glass that covers my fan light.
Close call

Marrukkah
Expert Protege

Bumped mine into a cupboard while playing superhot, no scratch or anything; then my best mate tried it and dented it against the same cupboard (thank you protective ring) then my nephew tried it and what do you know, nice scratch on my right Touch... Guardian is set up OK and everything but some people really get carried away way too much and start flailing like headless poultry. Luckily everything still works like a charm 🙂 Excellent and sturdy design guys

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star

Marrukkah said:

Bumped mine into a cupboard while playing superhot, no scratch or anything; then my best mate tried it and dented it against the same cupboard (thank you protective ring) then my nephew tried it and what do you know, nice scratch on my right Touch... Guardian is set up OK and everything but some people really get carried away way too much and start flailing like headless poultry. Luckily everything still works like a charm 🙂 Excellent and sturdy design guys

I just feel like I need to point out that the "protective ring" isn't actually a protective ring, but the housing for your tracking leds.

It's main purpose is not to absorb hits and save you from scraped knuckles.

Marrukkah
Expert Protege

I just feel like I need to point out that the "protective ring" isn't actually a protective ring, but the housing for your tracking leds.

It's main purpose is not to absorb hits and save you from scraped knuckles.

You are totally right. I know this is where the tracking leds are but I couldn't come up with a better description.

Thmoas
Rising Star
You guys should check the Guardian schematics for setup a little better. Between the Guardian wall and real objects you need to leave at least one meter. Guardian will popup whenever an object gets close. If your hands get close, still having one meter untill you reach an object is fine IMO.

If you are moving backwards (hands in front of you) and you see Guardian appearing all around you, STOP! You still have one meter to stop your body before you hit something.

But, maybe like with most peole, I have my Guardian setup just 10cm away from the walls to maximise play space 😛 However this creates some stress while playing as you know when Guardian appears there is no room left any more. We all just need bigger rooms. Who would of thought that hé? Oculus not being able to do roomscale .. we're all knocking our stuff on the ground so for the space that most people have available, the Oculus tracking tech is more then sufficient.

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
I was completely immersed inside of Rec Room. Was shooting hoops in the locker room and decided to go for a slam dunk. Ended up dunking my ceiling.

lavojust
Honored Guest
I threw a knife ...  I mean, my controller in the wall. I use the wrist binds now.  😐