cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we think it's odd that despite Facebook driving Oculus, that it's not a stronger social platform?

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
I almost didn't buy a Rift because I loathe Zuckerberg and everything he is, has done and ever will do. 

Never the less, there was one thing I expected that would destroy the Rift and that was some forced Facebook integration that stripped you of any privacy and turned the Rift into some AR platform instead of VR, constantly tied to Facebook whether you liked it or not.

And despite my caution with strangers on the internet, I do find it a bit unsettling that after several years in development, the Home program has such little communication methods.

Has anyone tied their Oculus account to their Facebook account? Is it more streamlined that way - is that what they are trying to do - leave the social aspect of Home so spartan that in frustration we use Facebook with live notifications turned on, in order to talk to one another?

EDIT: Interesting ...I typed 'facebook' for a tag and before I could finish it auto completed 'Oculus Face'  hmm what is Oculus Face I wonder...maybe it's code speak for Facebook integration, or maybe it's this.. ..

25 REPLIES 25

falken76
Expert Consultant

Thane_ said:

For $800, this is a very specific market for awhile. They haven't even figured out games. Until Alien Isolation or Metro 2033 or Dead Space or Skyrim comes out for VR we should all just stare silently at Oculus with a big WTF look on our faces.

What...are you talking about?

He's talking nonsense.  Something to the effect that anything less than AAA is a complete waste.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Arock387 said:

I'm seriously surprised there isn't a way to facebook in VR!  I assumed before launch if not ready at launch.  Actually pretty crazy its not out yet

There's a handful of virtual desktop apps.  If you wanted to you could probably facebook inside Elite.

cybereality
Grand Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpNKLXovtE
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star

Arock387 said:

I'm seriously surprised there isn't a way to facebook in VR!  I assumed before launch if not ready at launch.  Actually pretty crazy its not out yet

I wouldn't be surprised if this was held back or at least not prioritised as Facebook/Oculus wanted to avoid souring the platform (even more) for the Facebook haters.

We all remember the posts about the Rift was going to have pop-up adds or require Facebook login. 
If they had come out with Social on day 1 we would have never heard the end of it. 

kzintzi
Trustee

Thane_ said:

@Kizinzi The reason i feel that way is that i don't need a "massive shift" in how games are made/presented to enjoy VR and these types of games coming out for the VR headsets aren't types of games nor subject matter i'm interested in playing. I basically want a Doom 3 VR mod level support for games i already play or missed, and i've missed many along the way. The Penumbra mod was made by a college student in his spare time and i would pay for it and i would certainly pay $20+ for a Skyrim VR mod with sword and bow handtracking, or Dead Space mod, or Alien Isolation, Mirrors Edge, Witcher, etc. I'm already a happy 3D gamer on my 46" 3DTV monitor replacement though, but i view VR as 3D plus headtracking (and now handtracking). The things i want to do don't require massive changes, but more like the changes the average decent quality game mod offers.

But i think that fact that i already know what i want is a factor here. I'm just waiting for things to happen. Lots of people i see almost seem to either not know what they want and perhaps like a much wider variety of things.

don't get me wrong - I'm desperately waiting for Skyrim4VR or whatever comes out... it can't happen fast enough and I'll love playing it.

but what you implied is that anything not AAA is pointless to own/play and until Oculus do, we should look at them with shock that they've not provided.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

assettomio
Adventurer
Yea, what i find most surprising is they are willing to pump a dazzling amount of money into oculus, and say they really want it going mainstream.. And while being the number 1 social site in the world and already doing advertising on it, there is not even 1 oculus rift advertisement to be found.. Nothing

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

Facebook isn't driving it, though, is the trick. They said Oculus would be managing itself for at least 3 years as a separate company, using Facebook resources. Facebook in fact is working on social content as if they were a third-party Oculus developer - Facebook's demo at Oculus Connect 3 was nothing like the social things Oculus themselves showed, with the Oculus avatar system being quite different from Facebook's avatar system.

Brother when you're pumping that much money into something, you ARE driving it whether it's public knowledge or not. Can we say Clinton politics?

Yea, what i find most surprising is they are willing to pump a dazzling amount of money into oculus, and say they really want it going mainstream.. And while being the number 1 social site in the world and already doing advertising on it, there is not even 1 oculus rift advertisement to be found.. Nothing

Almost sounds like there is a clause.. Palmer said 'fu** you Mark, I don't want your crap on my device, but I'd like your money, let us make a deal ol' chap. You give us cash now, and by the time we make good and are matured several years into the market, already working on our second model prototype, I'll have been forced out or step down in the company, and then they'll hire someone who is more sociable. Then you two can hit it off and you can collect on what we owe you - exclusive rights to turn our platform into a pile of crap!'

Zuckerberg was so delighted by the prospect, he did not even call his lawyers to look over any fine print.

Never has a more firm handshake been made then on that fateful day.

Thane_ said:

@Kizinzi The reason i feel that way is that i don't need a "massive shift" in how games are made/presented to enjoy VR and these types of games coming out for the VR headsets aren't types of games nor subject matter i'm interested in playing. I basically want a Doom 3 VR mod level support for games i already play or missed, and i've missed many along the way. The Penumbra mod was made by a college student in his spare time and i would pay for it and i would certainly pay $20+ for a Skyrim VR mod with sword and bow handtracking, or Dead Space mod, or Alien Isolation, Mirrors Edge, Witcher, etc. I'm already a happy 3D gamer on my 46" 3DTV monitor replacement though, but i view VR as 3D plus headtracking (and now handtracking). The things i want to do don't require massive changes, but more like the changes the average decent quality game mod offers.

But i think that fact that i already know what i want is a factor here. I'm just waiting for things to happen. Lots of people i see almost seem to either not know what they want and perhaps like a much wider variety of things.

Exactly. Companies, especially large ones like Bethesda, Square Enix, Sega, ID, Rockstar etc.. should easily be able to allocate resources to work on (if nothing else) a DLC or mod that allows for proper VR on their more popular titles.

And if it's case of risk vs reward, 'time is money, money is time' then consider that Facebook could literally pay these studios some money to help with the costs. It would be Facebook's way of further making good use of the money and investment into Oculus. It could then use that relationship with the developers to get the games approved for Home publication. You could have a whole sub section of 'mods,' or 'VR upgrades' with a long list of popular titles that now have VR support.

The rapport with Facebook and Oculus would ensure that developers would also maintenance and take care of their VR applications, instead of trying to cash grab like SO OFTEN HAPPENS ON STEAM CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW MANY 'EA' GAMES ARE CASH GRABS?!

And just as a small related yet indirect example :

Mr.Creepy said:
That's why so many people have an advantage over me in certain games cause my playspace is small and has a TV and a pet, so I have to be constantly cautious. I like quick draw in D&B for that reason, no frantic cover seeking.

Guess what a lot of older games that we want headtracking on have in common? They'd be seated or standing..which is what Oculus said they wanted to focus on for immersion purposes.

So here we have a company that's put out a product that has limited content on it, and the content it does have is barely qualifying to meet the objectives they claim to set out to.

This is exactly where Oculus could have deviated to set itself apart from HTC and the Steam VR platform.
It would have taken the PC master race approach to everything and said "no we don't want games for children or alpha products to be our breadwinners, we want to focus on making quality games from the past and the future, into very immersive VR experiences, giving you a chance to relive or enjoy for the first time, the best gaming content in the market place, within the best environment possible on the best device in the world...the Oculus Rift."

And then Palmer mic drops and walks off the stage in his socks and sandals like a boss with some Hootie and the Blowfish blaring out the speakers.

Sarcasmist1
Explorer
I hate that you can't just send a message, at the very least!.. you get invites in to a game, if you haven't got the time to get it ready quick enough . .. you just appear as though you're ignoring the invite ! 

Would be nice to just say "sorry mate, my headset wasn't plugged in" or something, so you don't just seem ignorant

YoLolo69
Trustee
All that are on the way, check again Cybereality post above, about OC3 demo, very promising! 🙂

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

vannagirl
Consultant
Yes the demo looks amazing fun i can easily see many Facebook lovers using this,
it was much more then just chatting, millions seem to love their Facebook games also and it is good revenue for them.
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.