cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentral
Explorer
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
323 REPLIES 323

TrancerSpacey
Protege
> I would love to have transparent objects, to simulate glas for example.

> I would love to select an object an easily could change to whole colour of it. At the moment you have to repaint it with a brush, when I understand it correctly.

> Someone mentioned physics for having fun. I think physics would be a really important and good thing in Medium, if you want to test the standing stability of objects, when you want to print them in 3D.

Think about this: you can give your objects a 3D print material out of a material-list which includes the values of typical 3D-print materials, and medium calculates the weight and because of this the standing stability of your sculpt (simple example: a character standing only on two feet or balancing on one foot). So you can see, if your object stands really stable on the ground, if it's balanced right. Don't know if such a method is really exactly, but I think it could help.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

Damn, my post does not post, I suggest it's because I had links to forum-pictures as examples in it. So only text for now:

Imagine a tool like the Blend-Tool, found in Adobe Illustrator. I would love to see a funktion to draw a path (like in Quill) and a selected stamp follow this path. Including the possibility to adjust scaling transition or thickness, so the stamp morphes from big to small, thick or thin when it is arranged on the path. Of course it would be necessary to tell Medium a number how many stamp-objects should be bound onto the path.

Imagine: you could easily do things like creating a spinal colum. There are a lot of possibilities.

Splines are near the top of my wishlist right now. I'm thinking the nodes wouldn't even need the traditional handles to manipulate, I could just grab one in my fist and twist it and pull it to change the curves. 

Once you have a path you could either fire an array of stamps down it like you said or just draw along like line constraint works just now.

One of the things I miss the most in medium right now compared to traditional 3-d packages is the kind of smoothness and precision this would allow cos my hands are too shaky to do super smooth curves.

TrancerSpacey
Protege
@P3nT4gR4m: Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Would be so cool and save so much time!

smangini
Explorer

jmalmsten said:

- My left hand is way too unstable to take pictures. Please let me do picture-taking with my right hand... 😞

When Photo mode is active, press the Settings button (A) - there is an option to have the "camera" attached to your hand or not; that should help with stability.

Also, while detached, grip manipulates the "camera" not the scene.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Cavity Masking would be... well, I almost feel greedy for asking but... what the hell. Can we have cavity masking in paint mode? Pretty please?

kojack
MVP
MVP
There's two main things that I've felt are missing so far:
- grid snap (ideally with user controlled grid planes)
- non uniform scale

The last one really got me today. Quite often I had a stamp that looked right, but needed to be scaled on just one axis. Like a longer capsule that doesn't get fatter too. I had a disc from the primitives stamp collection, but I wanted it thin like a coin. Without manually trimming it down (annoying and inaccurate), that's hard.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

nickzucc
Protege
Here is a small one, but I believe that the smooth brush only smooths the model and does not smooth paint. I use the smooth on paint all the time in Zbrush and it really helps to get rid of pixelization looks. 

i would really love an advanced features for more experienced users. I think things work rather well for a new person coming into the program but at a certain point you want to get under the hood and start to really tweak performance, especially with the way your brushes respond.

it is really confusing on how you can grab one piece ignore your model and move and rotate it, and when you do it seems to be hard to maintain symmetry.

also in Zbrush when you get really close to the center with symmetry on your brushes snap to become one brush.

I am finding myself trying to work with as little pressure as possible to get the fine control that I am looking for.

make it very easy to know about brush modification, like in Photoshop it is easy to know if pressure controls brush size and opacity, it is as simple as turning on and off their modifiers.

i think this way of creation is amazing and is the way that digital sculptors will create in the future, but please look at Photoshop and see how they set things up for UI, look at ZBrush and try to learn what they did right and where did they fall short in terms of use.

I wonder, instead of a double tap of the alt modifier, how about button press and hold, that feels more natural like a keyboard press, don't you have on the left hand the oculus menu button that currently doesn't do anything? FOr speed of sculpting you need to easily add, subtract and smooth, smooth is currently the only thing that is easy.

we also need a way to easily manipulate imported stamps default orientation, stamps with color option would be amazing. Also, ability to paint stamps with custom saved color settings, that would be cool. Look into how zbrush uses insert multi mesh brushes.

Just adding cavity masking alone would be huge, also a fill button, at the very least let us zoom the model out really far so we can make our brush larger than the model and just paint the whole thing a flat color real quick.

it is really nice in Zbrush how you can toggle on and off your paint if you like, it is just an icon on the layer.

A quick and poseable armature system would be amazing. You should be able to create one from scratch but also provide a small library of pre made skeleton types.

Advance graphics options, I looked up how to supersample the oculus, this should just be an option.

nickzucc
Protege
Oh yeah, alphas. 🙂

nickzucc
Protege
So I currently instruct on how to 3D model in Maya, Digital Sculpt in Zbrush and Digital Paint in Substance Painter, I love VR and see the huge potential this has for revolutionizing how artist create art, much in the same way that Zbrush changed multiple industries.

So I have an ask that isn't quite the norm I believe, I would like to see an online teaching environment directly in Meduim. So an instructor could be in the virtual space right along with X amount of students.

An instructor would have to be able to show off techniques to the entire group, but then also switch off to another mode where you are by the student giving instruction. Image a space that is set up like figure drawing session.

I would also like to ask for a way for multiple artist to work on a scene together at the same time. This could make an amazing tool for building out 3D virtual spaces (prototyping)  together as a team. We would also need a way to set an actual scale for your scene, my ultimate goal wolf be to push the results into UE4 and have a 1 to 1 scale relationship between the two. 

Also, as a side note, I am seeing a lot of companies using idea scale to capture the asks of their user base. Might want to give that a go?

surt
Protege
User configuration of secondary-trigger tool.
When I'm blocking out I'd rather have it mapped to subtract than smooth.