cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we think it's odd that despite Facebook driving Oculus, that it's not a stronger social platform?

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
I almost didn't buy a Rift because I loathe Zuckerberg and everything he is, has done and ever will do. 

Never the less, there was one thing I expected that would destroy the Rift and that was some forced Facebook integration that stripped you of any privacy and turned the Rift into some AR platform instead of VR, constantly tied to Facebook whether you liked it or not.

And despite my caution with strangers on the internet, I do find it a bit unsettling that after several years in development, the Home program has such little communication methods.

Has anyone tied their Oculus account to their Facebook account? Is it more streamlined that way - is that what they are trying to do - leave the social aspect of Home so spartan that in frustration we use Facebook with live notifications turned on, in order to talk to one another?

EDIT: Interesting ...I typed 'facebook' for a tag and before I could finish it auto completed 'Oculus Face'  hmm what is Oculus Face I wonder...maybe it's code speak for Facebook integration, or maybe it's this.. ..

25 REPLIES 25

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Check out PlutoVR, it lets you chat with others in VR even while playing other VR games http://www.plutovr.com/

Thane_
Heroic Explorer

Thane_ said:

For $800, this is a very specific market for awhile. They haven't even figured out games. Until Alien Isolation or Metro 2033 or Dead Space or Skyrim comes out for VR we should all just stare silently at Oculus with a big WTF look on our faces.

What...are you talking about?

$800 per person to see your friends and family re-created in VR in a...possibly shitty way?.....to provide how many minutes of fun? Could the minutes be counted all on one hand? Both?

Thats what im talking about. I think it will take time. But we haven't even achieved what i presume most of us assumed the full result of the kickstarter would give us. We've got the headset, but not a single full length immersive game. For some of us, we are still waiting for the kickstarter to come to fruition and yet there are game companies with the source code for great games like Skyrim, Metro and Dead Space just sitting on computers gathering dust.

Sorry if that feels negative. I DO hope this comes asap for those that want it, I just think thats where we're at now.

kzintzi
Trustee
?? but the kickstarter was for a headset. the only reason you have what the rift and touch are today is coz of the massive injection of capital from facebook.. otherwise it would have been a headset similar to the DK2 (effectively the start of the 6 year climb towards mainstream - the extra capital jumpstart has been predicted to halve this time).
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

AndrewJ71
Heroic Explorer

I hate that you can't just send a message, at the very least!.. you get invites in to a game, if you haven't got the time to get it ready quick enough . .. you just appear as though you're ignoring the invite ! 

Would be nice to just say "sorry mate, my headset wasn't plugged in" or something, so you don't just seem ignorant

Speaking of which... sorry about for not accepting the D&B invite last night, @kzintzi    😄

My internet is completely stuffed at the moment. I'm waiting for somebody to come and have a look at it. I just jumped online quickly last night using mobile data (to download the 1 meg XBox app), but wasn't really able to hang out and play much. I wish I could have. 🙂

kzintzi
Trustee
hahahah... all good @AndrewJ71 - I was madly checking out all the apps I'd downloaded while at work before going out for dinner so wasn't that much of an issue... I'll be able to give it another go this evening since I'm doing bugger all tonight :smile: hopefully someone will be online to play against - if not I'll be trying to get my sea legs in Ripcoil as that thing triggers all my height/edge issues :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

YoLolo69
Trustee
We are a community of early adopters of a brand new technology and we accepted that by been the first to jump on this journey.

(the camera should zoom slowly to my face and music should start raising volume)

Yes it's expensive, it's young and not-that-stable, "Beta" and "Experimental". But our choice made possible the following which is coming!

(music volume raising a lot during that last sentence, full face in the camera frame).

We, or our children, will laugh in several years when watching back the current moment.

(need to wait here for people stopping clapping....well...they don't stop...I need to raise one hand to get some silence).

We are the Pioneers! We are the First! And we made all that possible because without us, early adopters...

(men, how people can make so many noise at the same time the music reach its maximum, I need to cry out loud to speak!).

... Our children and coming generation will have never been able to know such wonderful technology and jump in those wonderful virtual Worlds !!!!

(camera showing all those people listening blinded by devices put on their head)

Thanks Oculus, thanks Lukey Palmer, Thanks Steam and HTC-Vive, and all companies involved in the great adventure, and mainly thanks to all of you, yes you here, who made it possible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ok, Don't post I post before the first coffee this morning even if you're happy as you get the processing email for the Touch during the night)..no, don't post it! NO!. <UNDO> (CTRL-Z) <DEL-DEL-DEL>

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1