New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Where is Palmer?

2»

Comments

• ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Where did that come from?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    HoIIywood said:

In short, he just needs to do a Mel Gibson and in a few years every one will be hugs and kisses again.

become a homophobic  drunk driver and wish the mother of your child gets *edit... will change that to attacked incase of causing offence.*

I hope you do not work for the citizens advice bureau with advice like that :smiley:
    If you're going to jump on the bash Gibson bandwagon, at least get the false accusations against him correct - which was anti-semite ; though I am sure there's no harm in tacking on the usual goto slurs which include "racist, sexist, homophobe or transphobe"  ..while we're at it and all..

/snip

Good lord, you're as long-winded as Zenbane!  Or are you Zenbane? Writing style is similar... Anyway - easy there buddy, no need to get so worked up about trivial matters.  Zuck made me money over the years.  Can't say the same thing about Palmer.

Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,273 Volunteer Moderator

@DaftnDirect Just let it run its course. No harm in it. If certain members don’t like the tone of this thread they don’t have to read it.

Moderators will say, ‘I must do something, otherwise there’s no point in me being here.’ Quite right: no point. But you do a good job in putting out the rubbish bins and sweeping the stairway, and squashing the odd spammer seen scuttling out of its dark corner. 

I think mods should retain their jobs as cleaning ladies. A subject for a Poll, perhaps.

I believe I've only ever issue 2 warnings prior to the one I've just given @GableRatchet and I'm much less likely to do it for disrespecting a Mod than I am for disrespecting other forum members, after all the mods are pretty easy going & tough skinned.

However, the rules are there. Please follow them or consider a different forum.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    why should palmer show

all he get is abuse, yes i seen reddit, i would be off enjoying my moneys if i was in his position. He owes us nothing, we owe him vr (as far as oculus goes)

saying this someone linked a we will be sharing what palmer is doing soon post the other day
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6

@DaftnDirect Just let it run its course. No harm in it. If certain members don’t like the tone of this thread they don’t have to read it.

Moderators will say, ‘I must do something, otherwise there’s no point in me being here.’ Quite right: no point. But you do a good job in putting out the rubbish bins and sweeping the stairway, and squashing the odd spammer seen scuttling out of its dark corner. 

I think mods should retain their jobs as cleaning ladies. A subject for a Poll, perhaps.

I believe I've only ever issue 2 warnings prior to the one I've just given @GableRatchet and I'm much less likely to do it for disrespecting a Mod than I am for disrespecting other forum members, after all the mods are pretty easy going & tough skinned.

However, the rules are there. Please follow them or consider a different forum.

So @DaftnDirect gives me warning for asking him to let this thread run its course? Did he throw me a banger for disrespecting him? Surely not!

You recently got rid of two opinionated members who brightened up the forum with, dare I say it, opinions. If you want bland discussions with anaemic reactions, fine. But it ain’t going to be a proper forum.

I know you're itching to press the nuke button and blow me up, so I won't detain you any further.

I refer you to my previous post

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    Sorry if things get out of hand. I honestly just miss Palmer and want to see what he is up to these days. Not trying to get political.

I'm definitely not Palmer by the way ;)

No worries @GenetixStudio,

I've got no issue with the topic at all, my first comment was just meant to be a gentle reminder to the forum to stay away from the politics side of things.

I believe there was some sort of election in the US recently and this subject tends to veer off towards that area if we're not carful.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    I can't help but think of the dumb things I would have done if I had a couple dozen million dollars to my name when I was in my early 20's.  I almost certainly would have gotten myself into a bit of trouble as well.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    @GableRatchet  "We are here by supernatural means, and employed by servant maids, to frighten children."
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    LZ, what have you been drinking... and do you have a spare bottle?
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    @LZoltowski  We are, indeed! I don't know where you found my unique take on Tom Thumb, but I've been using it since time immemorial.

Spookily the street I live in is named after the home of Tomb Thumb, thank-you wikipedia
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    I can't post in that closed poll, so I'll do it here. When I read, "Increase the powers of cleaning ladies to attack perceived threats using high-voltage pulses." as an option. I personally read it this this way, Increase the powers of cleaning ladies to attack perceived threats using high-voltage purses." --- not that it has any relevance, but if someone sculpts/draws a scene like this in medium/quill they will instantly earn an awesome from me.
  • LuscaLusca Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    HoIIywood said:

In short, he just needs to do a Mel Gibson and in a few years every one will be hugs and kisses again.

become a homophobic  drunk driver and wish the mother of your child gets *edit... will change that to attacked incase of causing offence.*

I hope you do not work for the citizens advice bureau with advice like that :smiley:
    If you're going to jump on the bash Gibson bandwagon, at least get the false accusations against him correct - which was anti-semite ; though I am sure there's no harm in tacking on the usual goto slurs which include "racist, sexist, homophobe or transphobe"  ..while we're at it and all..

The point was, people eventually saw through the hoopla and remembered that they like Mel and want to see him do well.

So the 'advice' is not to be unnecessarily and ignorantly judgemental and the hold a grudge against someone because it's the trendy or hip thing to do / because everyone is doing it.

elboffor said:
    Looks like Palmer and @Zenbane have a few similarities. Loved by some, hated by a lot. Banned from talking about anything oculus related
    If 'hated by a lot' means a bunch of psychotic narcissistic intolerant bigoted millenials, white liberals and America bashers, then I a pretty sure Palmer isn't concerned.

I laughed about the banned from discussing Oculus though. 

Lusca said:
    I used ro feel bad for him, but then it became clear what a jerk he is. First he repeatedly attacked customers, and then was found to be funding a shit posting group. Facebook obgiously realized they had someone with a problem and put the muzzle on him. He was the architect of his own problems. 
    That does not make sense. There was nothing negative happening to Palmer that the public (or that you certainly) were privy to, until the incident with the Nimble America Gate (I love using 'gate' now, because it seems everything in the world is a conspiracy!)

To act as if you felt bad for him until 'it became clear' that he is a jerk because he was 'funding a shit posting group,' sounds like only saying it after the fact.

Even if Palmer knew 100% what Nimble were about, what does it matter?

How far has America deteriorated that something so benign and irrelevant should make such a difference - particularly to people who are not even involved?

No he was not the architect of his own problems. Deluded and deranged social justice and politically correctness was his and everyone's problems.

And in the end, we're all here using a product that's funded by a man who has with a single hand, put our society on a fundamentally different trajectory ; a negative one that is irreversible. Zuckerberg is as close to the Anti Christ as we've seen - well him, George Soros, Steve Jobs, Walmart and McDonalds..

Meanwhile Palmer gave some money to guys who go around posting memes and talking smack on the internet....

Seriously, get some perspective.
    I do have a perspective. One that does not align with yours. If you look at my post history you would know that I felt bad for him. But he couldn't leave the Reddit flame wars well enough alone and chose to get into it in with people over shipping delays and inconsistencies in what he had said in the past compared to what happened later. 

Palmer knew what Nimble America was about (or should have, considering he was giving them money) and it was to disrupt discourse. You know, like when people start spewing rhetoric like "bunch of psychotic narcissistic intolerant bigoted millenials, white liberals and America bashers". 

I love the Oculus though. Kudos to him for helping get that to market.
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    Newsflash! a man that had an idea we all enjoy also has ideas we don't all agree with.

Film at 11.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,689 Volunteer Moderator
    Newsflash! a man that had an idea we all enjoy also has ideas we don't all agree with.

Film at 11.
    At 11 tonight on World Movies is the film Hentai Kamen. That description pretty much fits it. :)

• RonsonPLRonsonPL Posts: 1,115
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    Political correctness is scary.
    I'm still standing at my previous opinion that the whole thing is nothing blown into something big/important, but it's sad to see Facebook "taking Palmer out of the spotlight" because of this.
    It wasn't necessary and it helps some people think "so I am right, he knows he did bad and now he hides".

He did nothing bad, at least there. Nothing at all from Oculus and VR point of view. Whether or not he made anything bad by donating to this particular group is a matter that I couldn't care less about, and it's highly subjective.

Can we please have an official response here, on this forum, for the question "what happens with Palmer?"
    I'm not naive, I'm not expecting a friendly info, it will have to be a little PR-infected, but it still would be nice to hear what's happening with him, especially now, when Oculus splits up and Palmer is to take another role. What role, exactly and how much of the remaining of "old" Oculus is still there? I think we, Oculus forum users, deserve to know the answer for this.
    So, how about it, Cybereality?
    Please?
    Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore.
    Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash.
    Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    edited December 2016
    William Shockley, one of the inventors of the transistor and perhaps the father of Silicon Valley had views that angered a lot of people including most of his family, friends, and children.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shockley

James Watson one of the DNA people also has caused a lot of controversy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watson#Controversial_comments

Though I don't think either of them became filthy rich in their early 20s (even though their inventions/discoveries have had and will have a much more significant impact than an inexpensive VR HMD) so that they could throw around 10000 USD at will.
  • shadowrydrshadowrydr Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    HoIIywood said:
    http://uploadvr.com/palmers-new-role-soon/

Strange, both founders of the company still working there yet have stepped down or being pushed down.

They more than likely stood by supporting Palmer, and this is what the PR/bean counters did, moved them from there positions.. Shame.
    Win10 64bit
    Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz
    Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-
  • YbalridYbalrid Posts: 248
    Art3mis
    I probably don't share his political views, if they are his actual views, (as I understood it was anti-clinton shitposting more than pro-trump things, but, again, what do I care, being French).

I really liked the guy. I was a bit sad not to see him being at Connect 3 actually. I'm hopping he will get back of this public radio silence at some point, and return to fight for the users. We bootstrapped actual VR in the homes, but there's a lot of stuff to develop yet.

You know, the things Mike Abrash talk about :p 
    CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/