New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Tired of the Rift cable tangling and twisting? Here is my solution

maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
Project 2501
edited December 2016 in General
Alright, my HMD cable did so much twisting and turning over the past few months that it was now full of kinks and it became harder and harder to untangle/untwist. So today I bought some 1/4" split loom tubing, it cost me 5$ for 50 feet and it works wonders. The cable now slides on the floor and stays in a beautiful shape.

It also protects it from children's feet and chair wheels :-) and it doesn't weight anything!

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1

Comments

• HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 325
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    How did you secure it?
    And is the 1/2" the internal or external OD?
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    Oh my bad it's not 1/2" it's 1/4" and it's internal. It fits the cable perfectly.  You just have to split it open and put the cable in. Put a few ty-raps here and there.
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,279 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016
    I'm not too worried about the cable when I play but am a bit paranoid when demonstrating... so I think this will be on my shopping list, along with that Ikea lamp thing
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    I got a mic stand w/ boom arm and a retractable dog leash. No tangle, off the floor. So glad I got it.
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    I was thinking a hook in the roof and put the lead through it above where you stand.
  • CLParkerCLParker Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    molokow said:
    I was thinking a hook in the roof and put the lead through it above where you stand.

Problem is that the cable ends up getting wrapped around your neck and your hands keep hitting it. Best solution is to find the breakout box the vive uses and extend things out to a safer distance.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 792
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    These look nice but I haven't found these types here, only the cheap nylon spiral "cable organizers" from the dollar store. But they do a great job and are A MUST HAVE if you have cats. It was the first thing I did to protect my wires right after unpacking my Rift. (I also had to protect all my other cables, mouse cables, joysticks, sound cables etc.) We have this one cat who just LOVES biting wires :)
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    I need to buy this:
    http://techblog.steelseries.com/images/ikeahaxx/6.jpg
    But dunno where.....

Someone???!!!
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    EliteSPA said:
    I need to buy this:
    But dunno where.....

Someone???!!!
    You could just get a fishing rod bro =D

Not sure about a fishing rod... I mean you'd have to fix it to something, maybe the wall. The Ikea lamp comes with a base so you can move it around to suit any layout changes or move it out of the way if it's in a room that has a multi-purpose.

@EliteSPA, no Ikeas near you? It's the Regolit lamp

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • HornyyyHornHornyyyHorn Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    I've ordered IKEA Lamp via online shop, they need 10 days for delivery. 

I'll pick one up the next time I pass Ikea, the deliveries may be a bit problematic so close to Christmas... thanks to @bigmike20vt for bringing it to our attention

and to these guys who discovered it:

http://techblog.steelseries.com/2016/05/11/ikeasavedmefromdyinginvr.html

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    everytime i see a vive being worn it reminds me of how dam ugly they are and how greatful i am that oculus built in headphones to their solution.

my only concern with this solution is there is still a dangle in the cable, that will surely lead to tangling around your neck, also i'd be scared of tipping the thing over if i was reaching to the floor in the oposite corner to where the base is.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    EliteSPA said:
    I need to buy this:
    But dunno where.....

Someone???!!!
    molokow said:
    I'm not too worried about the cable when I play but am a bit paranoid when demonstrating... so I think this will be on my shopping list, along with that Ikea lamp thing

Gentlemen, there is no need for any of that and it takes up unnecessary space, holes in the wall, pulling the ceiling down during a game of Super Hot.

Run your required cable length in order to get it behind your Rift in a nearby corner (or directly behind you if you like).

Then walk to the farthest edges of your play are ensuring you have a no tugging(make sure to do this standing and crouched).

Once you are there, lay down the headset, walk back to your wall or corner spot where the remaining cable slack is wound up or lying freely, and put something heavy onto the cable at the point that it comes away from the pile/wall. If done right, your cable will be somewhat taught but not super taught.

Bind and cable tie or zip tie the remaining cable slack together then remove the heavy object if you wish.

Now when you put on your headset, the cable should be long enough to reach all areas yet short enough to rise off the ground when you are sitting or standing, which means in the immediate sense you will not step on it.

You would have to be very unlucky or very intentional in trying to stumble on it.

If you want to go one further, allow for another half foot of cable to the headset, then put it through a belt loop or some type of belt. This will keep it off the ground as well.

Project 2501
    edited December 2016
    I've ordered IKEA Lamp via online shop, they need 10 days for delivery. 
    Can you write the art. number?
    I have an Ikea 10 mins from home.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    I don't really believe on this solution even if it can easier the problem. If you're doing a 180 degrees rotation and work in direction of the lamp you will have the cable on your face, arms, hands and breast. Possibly good only for front facing, not really for 360 degrees...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    I'm not impressed by the lamp "solution".  The dog leash set-ups seem to have every advantage over this lamp and surprisingly, even looks better.

That guy with the Ikea lamp looks like a giant fisherman caught a VR tuna (him) and is reeling it in!  :D

Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • YbalridYbalrid Posts: 248
    Art3mis
    People used those retractable dog leash that will keep the cable and manage the slack.

But I'm really not sure if it's the best idea ever, since you may feel the spring loaded thingy pulling on your cable. ><"

CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
  • Mace404Mace404 Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    Not if you tug the cable to your belt for example. That also keeps the cable low so you have free hand movement.
    I got one of those retractable dog leashes mounted on hip height in a corner of my play space and that solved all my cable issues.
    (Had a habbit of standing on the cable while crouching in Dead and Buried for example. If you stand up again its *poof* gone is the Rift of your head. pretty immersive breaking :blush:)
  • HornyyyHornHornyyyHorn Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    Art no. 501.034.06

This is a lamp and you have to mod it a little bit, of course... ;)
  • mikaserlamikaserla Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2016
    I have my cable elevated about a foot above my head on a straight wooden stick that can flex a little.  This way the cord is not on the floor and I don't trip over it.   I also tape the cord to the upper back part of my computer so that I don't damage the computer parts that it is plugged into if I accidentally pull on the cord a little when using my Oculus Rift.  I also tape the cord to the middle back of my rift so that the cord wont damage the headset if it gets pulled on.   This works well for a roomscale vr game where I have to turn all the way around from time to time.  

When I am playing a game that mostly requires me to look only left, forward, and right, (VR Sports Challenge) I lower the cord all the way to the ground so that when I throw my hand forward it does not hit the cord.  I don't really need the cord elevated above my head for the movement in this game.
    edited December 2016
    For anyone not sure about the lamp thing, I'll let you know how it performs when I get one, that way there's no guessing. After all the guys who've actually used it are the ones recommending it!
    @elboffor agree with you about that ugly thing ;)
    Project 2501
    Art no. 501.034.06

This is a lamp and you have to mod it a little bit, of course... ;)
    Bought it! 

Thanks @HornyyyHorn
    Project 2501
    Arriving today! will report back when setup is finish!
    Trinity
    Mace404 said:
    Not if you tug the cable to your belt for example. That also keeps the cable low so you have free hand movement.
    I got one of those retractable dog leashes mounted on hip height in a corner of my play space and that solved all my cable issues.
    (Had a habbit of standing on the cable while crouching in Dead and Buried for example. If you stand up again its *poof* gone is the Rift of your head. pretty immersive breaking :blush:)
    Belt is the first thing to do, easy and free.

Any thing ceiling mounted is fine, if you are not worried about cosmetics.
    3Jane
    I use an extra small (XS) Flexi retractable leash made for cats and dogs up to 18 lbs.  It's tiny and has a very light pull that you can barely feel.  Not much more than the cable laying on your back already.
    Trinity
    kevink808 said:
    I use an extra small (XS) Flexi retractable leash made for cats and dogs up to 18 lbs.  It's tiny and has a very light pull that you can barely feel.  Not much more than the cable laying on your back already.
    How does that work if the button is not engaged ; or does it retract by default like a tape measure and you hit the button to hold out the line?

Also on what part of the Rift would you attach it..the loop is pretty large : 

3Jane
    Yes, it retracts automatically. The button just locks the retraction, which I think is a pretty common feature for all the leashes I've owned. It actually comes with a pet collar insert that is a short strap with two D-rings, one on each end.  You can use that or just zip tie the latch on the cord.  Will snap a pic of it.
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    I bought 2 of the XS flexi leads last week to try.

The weight of the cable was too much for them and they didn't retract at all. :/
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,197 Valuable Player
    I have a better Idea tie a Helium Balloon to the cable :)