cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Gravity1368
Protege

I've been having a strange problem since i got my touches in, whenever im using more then one sensor my hmd tracking jumps when turning around with my back to the cameras.

I dont run into this when using just one sensor. I can turn around and the tracking is 100% solid, but the moment i plug sensor two back in the tracking jumps when i stop with my back to my sensors. This shouldnt be happening with the hmd I would understand if it was the controllers but the Rift has tracking lights on the back of it.

I've tried using every combination of usb ports and sensor placement, from up high on the ceiling to just on my desk still the problem remains. I even borrowed one of my buddies cameras to run the experimental setup, the irony is that the controllers track great with the three cams in roomscale but the hmd does not. Playing something like jobsim on steam I will turn around to grab something and the whole world shakes like someone is bumping my sensor.

I've spent the last two days trying everything I can think of but still nothing helps other then using just one sensor. The last thing I can think of trying is buying a usb card and see if that helps. Sorry for the wall of text but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to smooth out the hmd tracking just a little frustrated at this point.

151 REPLIES 151

elboffor
Consultant

beeli said:

17/12 09:44:36.919 {INFO}    [Tracking:CamCal] Too much camera movement: -10.8, 107.6, 28.4 (111.9), resetting position

This seems the most logical cause of the issue, i only ever had jumping probems AFTER i had physically moved one of my sensors.

since running setup again i was fine, so i do think the software is assuming there is movement when in reality there is not.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Uberwolfe
Adventurer
Having major sensor tracking issues (jumping around) particularly when playing any of the standing games.

Arizona Sunshine, for example, is basically unplayable though it happens in every game/application.

My setup includes two frontal sensors mounted upside-down above me.

Logs attached - thanks.

buchee
Explorer
I have the 3 sensor setup using the 360 experimental diagram and am getting the jumping back and forth between cameras. Log files included.

Sanborn
Explorer
But is your camera actually moving?

Maybe Oculus software is being too quick to respond to erroneous camera IMU data and should not be "resetting position" @cybereality

beeli
Explorer
No, the cameras are definitely not moving. But there are many such log entries, about 200 in 25 minutes:
{WARNING} [Tracking:Manager] Sensor moved
I just got 4 jumps again while playing Superhot VR. No issues for the first 20 minutes, then the "Too much camera movement" occured again.

Will try USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 next. Tracking should be only slightly less accurate, according to a @cybereality post on Reddit, but the USB load should be less.

nrosko
Superstar
Tried several swapping round of usb's & problem is still present & more hours of my life wasted. My log file is full of errors like everybody elses but nothing about sensor moved. There seems to be an issue with the 3rd sensor using usb 2.0 it doesn't work as well as the other 2 using usb3.0. Notable glitch as rear sensor starts to track. Seems support have given up on my issue as have not got back to me. There seems to be 2 distinct problems one as described above & the other seems to be more rare but happens over time & touch seems to lose tracking hands start to stick & spiral out or just jerk around on there own.  

buchee
Explorer
After viewing the event viewer I am seeing so many errors with oculus especially this one

17/12 13:23:21.084 {!ERROR!} [HMDCalibration] 
Gyro offset could not be read from HMD

If the gyro keeps offsetting would the image keep bouncing around like it does. I don't have a clue but thought I'd throw it out there.

beeli
Explorer
@nrosko: I think you're right, the "VR world jumps" and the "hand spiraling out" seem to be two separate problems - but both seem to occur after about 20 minutes.

At least the jumps started to happen after this time in my last few tries - perfect tracking before, even >180° with two cameras. Then, once the jumps start, they keep happening again and again.

USB 2.0 cables on 3.0 ports didn't improve anything. Last try will be dedicated USB 2.0 ports tomorrow. After that I'll wait for a software solution.

XlordB
Adventurer
i get the same problems with tracking as mentioned here rotating hand etc world movement except my sensors are side mounted on the wall  same height up 7ft 2 meters apart one on a wall over to my left gexlcrhckpys.jpg

I actually have quite a bit of room. and always manage to get optimal guardian space. However if i set the sensors up further apart to make optimal use of the optimal space the tracking is much worse. . its still pretty annoying as is though i only have two sensors cant afford the third right now if i even need one to be honest my ceiling is a high one can reach it without ladders.

Sanborn
Explorer
@XlordB You should use Deskscene to examine the FOV of those cameras. Not saying there's anything front with it, but it seems like the cameras see less of your room in a sideways orientation.