cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Gravity1368
Protege

I've been having a strange problem since i got my touches in, whenever im using more then one sensor my hmd tracking jumps when turning around with my back to the cameras.

I dont run into this when using just one sensor. I can turn around and the tracking is 100% solid, but the moment i plug sensor two back in the tracking jumps when i stop with my back to my sensors. This shouldnt be happening with the hmd I would understand if it was the controllers but the Rift has tracking lights on the back of it.

I've tried using every combination of usb ports and sensor placement, from up high on the ceiling to just on my desk still the problem remains. I even borrowed one of my buddies cameras to run the experimental setup, the irony is that the controllers track great with the three cams in roomscale but the hmd does not. Playing something like jobsim on steam I will turn around to grab something and the whole world shakes like someone is bumping my sensor.

I've spent the last two days trying everything I can think of but still nothing helps other then using just one sensor. The last thing I can think of trying is buying a usb card and see if that helps. Sorry for the wall of text but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to smooth out the hmd tracking just a little frustrated at this point.

151 REPLIES 151

XlordB
Adventurer
already checked that bud where my centre is completely covered in deskscene the problem is that tracking is totally fine even set up like that but the problems are intermittent i.e they happen occasionally if the problems were constant with the controllers not working at all then i would put it down to sensor placement but since this isn't the case then im suspecting its software related because of the delay between the problems. if it was sensor placement or position the controller would rotate constantly its a confusing glitch to try fix 

Sorith
Explorer
Literally this is so annoying. Just bought a pci usb card hoping it was maybe a bandwidth issue. Still did not fix the problem. Tried all variations of usb ports and different controllers. Nothing works besides one sensor. Add anymore and the jutter and shifting starts. Anyone seem to find a solution yet ???? 

NetGeist
Honored Guest
3 sensor roomscale.

Intermittent judder/drifting in controllers every 20~40 seconds, even when standing motionless directly in front of any of the 3 sensors. Controllers judder when when spinning 360 degrees and switching between cameras. HMD also occasionally juddering.

No combination of USB slots between my motherboard and Inateck USB hub seem to make the tracking any better or any worse. USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 also seems to make no difference.

Callidus80
Protege
Thanks @Sorith  @wwwGhost

You have saved me from buying a PCI-E USB 3.0 card at least.

I had a reply to my support ticket advising that:
"this is something they are aware of and looking into on the software side of things. The resolution will most likely come in the form of a software update to Oculus Home."

str8Astud3nt
Honored Guest
When using multiple rift sensors, they will disagree about the world position, causing a 'jumping' behavior of the environment. I have attached a video recorded in Desk Scene that shows when looking at different sensors their position will suddenly change. I have also attached logs from that time. The video will correspond to around 17/12 23:15:50.251 in the logs and the issue seems to be associated with the "17/12 23:15:50.250 {WARNING} [Tracking:Manager] Sensor moved :WMTD302K500KSB" events. For reference the sensor that is the highest up that I am looking at is WMTD302K500KSB and the other sensor I am looking directly at is WMTD303K301QPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soSQzQG93sg

StreetPreacher
Adventurer
I've been noticing some odd tracking issues as well, even after the update that was automatically applied last night.

And as you've discovered, it seems to occour when the controllers are operating in the region where the sensor FOVs overlap...  

For instance, in oculus home i can hold a controller up in full view of both sensors, but as the controller passes through the overlapping area I see the virutal hands stutter slightly...

Now I'm just wondering if I can blame the tracking for my horrible aim when throwing things in Superhot? 🙂

Sanborn
Explorer

When using multiple rift sensors, they will disagree about the world position, causing a 'jumping' behavior of the environment. I have attached a video recorded in Desk Scene that shows when looking at different sensors their position will suddenly change. I have also attached logs from that time. The video will correspond to around 17/12 23:15:50.251 in the logs and the issue seems to be associated with the "17/12 23:15:50.250 {WARNING} [Tracking:Manager] Sensor moved :WMTD302K500KSB" events. For reference the sensor that is the highest up that I am looking at is WMTD302K500KSB and the other sensor I am looking directly at is WMTD303K301QPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soSQzQG93sg

How did you record?

str8Astud3nt
Honored Guest

Sanborn said:

How did you record?

On windows 10 with the xbox app. You can hit win+g on just about any application and record.

Wildlyfe
Honored Guest
Same here I ended up getting a fourth sensor bUT seems like the more sensors I add the more my whole play area keeps jumping around while switching from sensor to sensor. Two up front or two diagonal wasn't too bad but 4 in each corner or 3 sensor reccommened setup is just unusable. I also have my sensors upside down it is the only way I can mount them with out buying a bunch of tripods. This is just ridiculous. Especially after all the USB extensions I bought and returned trying to find ones that worked. Vive is seemingly better by the day.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for the logs. I have shared them with the engineering team.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV