cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR not detected (S7) latest update bricked it!

vapofusion
Explorer
I stopped using my Gear VR for about a week (placed in a drawer), I noticed the latest update and the gear VR is not detected by the phone when inserted. It worked before the update flawlessly and I was disappointed problems from the DK1, DK2 days have come back (completely ruining the experience).

I have tried a lot to fix this and nothing has worked. Starting with:
  • Reset phone - didn't work
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled app - didn't work
  • Factory reset phone - Worked until the Oculus app updated again...seriously
  • Tried different Gear VR - still nothing on my phone S7 (at this point the problem is obviously the phone and the only thing that has changed on my phone since the last time I used the gear VR was the oculus update
  • I have tried my Gear VR in my mates S7 and it works like normal, back in my phone nothing
I am done with Oculus at this point, Nothing but problem after problem after poor customer service. Do one thing right and help me get my device working without waiting an eternity on a reply from customer service, thanks.

Any help from someone with similar problems please chime in!
69 REPLIES 69

CheesyCrust
Honored Guest
Works again for me too :
-  first I got in the applications manager and uninstalled as many "oculus" and "gear" stuff I could as RobertRoy was saying: gear vr, gear service, oculus, samsung gear, anything containing these words. For some I just could erase their cache, and not unistall them, but still I tried to get back to initial status as much as possible. But it still didn't work...
- Then I reset settings (not a Factory reset, just Reset Settings).
=> My S7 restarted and now the GearVR works again.

asgo
Honored Guest
Hi, my S6edge have the same probleme. 
After inserting the s6edge there is the usual short sound, then the screen remains black for 2 seconds. Then the normal smartphone surface can be seen. Oculus does not start

clamum83
Explorer
Well I'll be damned, I got it working.

So while researching this issue I found a couple people had mentioned they were using that Google Cardboard for Gear VR enabler app, which I had forgotten about and that I also had on my phone. I loaded it up and it had the Cardboard mode selected. I pressed the Gear VR image and it popped up with a message like "Enabling application package failed" or something similar. I couldn't uninstall the app (grayed out) but it did need an update in the Play Store so I did that. After updating it, I could launch and reactivate it, and finally it went into the Gear VR mode.

After getting the Cardboard app running and in Gear VR mode, I put my phone in the headset and boom, it worked perfectly.

- So for people who have the Cardboard app: Open it up and make sure you have Gear VR selected. I am pretty sure I had Gear VR selected before/originally, but I have a hunch that I updated the Cardboard app (normally, via Play Store) and my settings were lost/defaulted. I've lost settings of numerous other apps when updating them (I'm looking at you, Tapatalk).
- For people that do not have the Cardboard app: I have a feeling your problem is due to some Gear VR app/service not running or being disabled. Go to Settings -> Applications and go through every Gear VR-related app you can find and make sure it is not stopped/disabled. If they are all enabled, try clearing the cache of all of them that you can. If all else fails, try uninstalling every Gear VR-related app (follow Robertroy's post from November 4), restarting your phone, and trying again.

Hope this helps. I am sure happy!

asgo
Honored Guest
I have now found that my S6edge synonymous my OTG USB Stick is no longer recognized. If a driver is defective. Try it out with you, whether an OTG cable / USB stick works.

velcatis
Honored Guest
When i install carboard enabler, now my gear VR wont work anymore, i uninstaled all conected apps and still nothing works 😞 wasted money

andrickis
Honored Guest
SOLUTION!!! For me at least! Until today i've tryied everything what is said on this forum untill today. And then my friend, who have axactly the same model (s7 edge, black Gear VR), he said me: just do it fast!... That's it! Do it FAST!

andrickis
Honored Guest
WTF! The forum software cutting the meesages. The first message was longer. So connect the phone to the glasses and "close" it very fast!

seanevans86
Honored Guest
Hi can anyone please help me ?

Got my Vr headset yesterday worked fine. But today everyone I dock it and make sound within 3 second it just goes back to phone mode. I have tried someverything of the suggestionsame mentioned in this thread with no availe. The only thing different today is I've downloaded Google cardboard and some cardboard apps. Will this conflict ?.. I have a Samsung s6

vanillagorilla9
Explorer
It has been doing the same thing to me.. The ONLY WAY it HAS WORKED for me is,,,,,, before I connect the phone to the outlet, I slide the outlet off (I have the smoke grey/gun metal colored VR) n connect my phone to it, then slide it back on the port connector and flip the little "lock" switch.. Everytime I do that it works.. Everytime I don't do that method, it does the same exact thing that is happening to you... Hopefully this might help!! Let me know, n good luck!

M0zey
Honored Guest
I too am having this problem i will post here what i posted to reddit: 

whenever i try and open any oculus application after the most recent update to oculus, it prompts me to plug into the gear VR gives me the noise that it has connected, then immediately kicks me back to the store (non vr version). I have tried the following

My device is the galaxy s6 occulus version 2.26.6

1. Restarting my device and application
  2. Uninstalling the specific application i am trying to use within the oculus store and reinstalling it
  3. Uninstalling oculus itself and reinstalling it (it lets me download it again when pluging it into the headset)
  4. Playing in offline mode/airplane mode
  5. Plugging the headet in while using it as well as leaving it unpluged
  6. Everything named in this forum short of factory reseting my device.

I have not used my gear in about a week and a half, and today this issue has surfaced.

Games/applications i have tried to load: Dragon Front, Hulu, Netflix, Bait, Incell, Ocean Rift demo, Vendetta Online, Samsung Photos, Samsung Internet, VTime. All without success.

There is no longer a button on the Oculus main page that allows me to "enter VR" without selecting the specific app i want to run. I assumed this was a UI update but i dont know.

Charging and fast charging works, my usb port seems good hardware wise.

i have been talking with Samsung support and they have done nothing but tell me to clear my cache and call oculus and when i contact oculus they tell me to call samsung.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED