cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to change the skybox / backdrop in Medium?

robdood
Explorer
..or even just disable the default?  I feel like there must be and I'm just being blind/stupid! 🙂 
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is only one skybox at the moment but if you press the home button and then go into the settings on the right hand side, you can turn off the skybox and then select a solid colour for the background 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
I've found the backdrop colour really affects my sculpt. I rarely go in with a plan, just start doodling and see what happens. If I choose black BG or (even better) a deep, dark red. Demons and monsters happen. If I choose an airy sky blue, tho, I tend to make cutesy fluffy crap.

surt
Protege
I was dissapointed we don't have the lighting and environment seen in early demos: http://icdn1.digitaltrends.com/image/oculus-medium-1000x667.png

bhsharp
Protege
@surt - the reason we didn't ship that environment is exactly what @P3nT4gR4m mentioned. We did a ton of environment explorations, and in the end, we found that:

a) walls are bad because it's too easy to lose your sculpt through them.
b) very realistically modeled large, open spaces make you feel uncomfortably exposed (standing on a vast, open plain - one artist said he felt like "a bird was going to carry him off"
c) the palette and content of the environment really influence what you sculpt

So we went with an abstract space without walls, the ground grid just for a good visual reference, and a skybox, but let you turn all that off and pick a BG color too.

In some world we could have cleaned up all our experiments and shipped them as easter eggs or something but compared to getting everything else done that just didn't bubble up to the top of the list.

danknugz
Superstar
it would be nice to have other backgrounds as an option
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

robdood
Explorer
@bsharp thanks for the info! I guess all I'd really like is just alternate versions of the default, ie different times of day, like dusk or night.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be great to have a dynamic skybox like you can get in Unreal engine to change the time of the day and get realistic lighting 🙂 Although I know this is a big ask!  :#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwi4K4x0Q3k

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Never you mind day night cycles we need to prioritise here. I'm sure everyone will agree that it's of utmost importance we have a - fires of hell - themed skybox asap. Bonus points if the faint screams of the fallen can be heard on ambient audio.

XlordB
Adventurer
Id like to see them add multiplay to this app. so two people can work on one scultp or at least so one person could watch me puncha hole in my scultps when my right controller takes  flaky.