Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Share Is Live!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Great news! Oculus Share is live!!!

https://share.oculus.com/

This is *the* place to download and share Oculus-enabled demos and games. No longer will you have to dig through the forums to find content. Download the best apps out there for the Rift on Oculus Share.

And to commemorate the launch, we have created a new forum category just for all things Share.

Have fun!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
61 REPLIES 61

Vin
Explorer
"Gzhindra" wrote:
I don't know.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but when I connect this tread with Palmer's statement that he would like the Oculus Rift to be free I start smelling the royalties' smell from afar.

I really hope we will never get an apple like closed market place. It would be a serious deterrent for me.

Yeah, I'm with you. When a big company is allowed to make money off their product, that's crossing serious moral lines. No company should ever make money.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The PC is an open platform. PC developers are free to sell their software themselves, or give it away for free, or do whatever they want. We are not trying to control that. The idea is just to make things easy for end-users to find content for the Rift.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Tbone
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
The PC is an open platform. PC developers are free to sell their software themselves, or give it away for free, or do whatever they want. We are not trying to control that. The idea is just to make things easy for end-users to find content for the Rift.

Cyber has a good point. Apple can control their apps because the iPhone and similar devices are completely closed (unless you jailbreak them). The PC is open, and therefore no one can control the software completely. Steam can't keep you from buying or obtaining games from other sources. They succeed because they have a good business model and people appreciate the convenience.

If Oculus came out with their own console-like device, then yes, they could control the game marketplace, but I don't anticipate that happening in the first generation. I guess they could radically change the way the Rift works where nothing shows up on the device unless it passes a security check that's verified online, but even that can be worked around. They're just mirroring your desktop, though 😄

Honestly Oculus should do whatever is going to make VR easier for the masses and push it towards the mainstream. If that means trying to develop a closed system, so be it, but they chose the PC first for a reason, and Cyber hit the nail on the head.
The Furious Angels - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!

Gzhindra
Honored Guest
"vin" wrote:
"Gzhindra" wrote:
I don't know.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but when I connect this tread with Palmer's statement that he would like the Oculus Rift to be free I start smelling the royalties' smell from afar.

I really hope we will never get an apple like closed market place. It would be a serious deterrent for me.

Yeah, I'm with you. When a big company is allowed to make money off their product, that's crossing serious moral lines. No company should ever make money.

When did I raise any moral issue?
You are making that up yourself dude. Bad habit you have there. You should start working on it.

Krisper
Explorer
"Tbone" wrote:

I hope you guys are planning on making Share accessible from inside the Rift as a sort of game launcher or OS! It seems like this might be step 1 of that!

Yeah +1 on this, I want to browse, download and run games from Share with my Rift on.

whoisonline
Explorer
"Krisper" wrote:
"Tbone" wrote:

I hope you guys are planning on making Share accessible from inside the Rift as a sort of game launcher or OS! It seems like this might be step 1 of that!

Yeah +1 on this, I want to browse, download and run games from Share with my Rift on.

Man .. that would be the best app so far, having one that could launch other apps without needing to remove the goggles 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cybereality" wrote:

To bad Microsofts wet dream is to have an "app store" for Windows. And it gets even soggier as they want to close it like on Windows RT. The day that happen is the day Windows will slowly die. I just hope we have a good alternative by then.

Anonymous
Not applicable
A share.oculus.com API would be useful.

Raven
Protege
"regularslinky" wrote:
A share.oculus.com API would be useful.

I second that wholeheartedly! It'd be awesome to be able to embed a list of your games on Share. Or a list of recently liked /favorited items / personal top rated.

But that's a nice to have feature - so for now I vote for keeping focus on improving the functionality of the site itself.

Hedgehog666
Honored Guest
"Gzhindra" wrote:
"vin" wrote:
"Gzhindra" wrote:
I don't know.

When did I raise any moral issue?
You are making that up yourself dude. Bad habit you have there. You should start working on it.

It's always about the money isn't it.......even for the underdog....nobody will believe anybody who says that their plan is for the common good of things.(unless its a politician, even though we all know their lying anyway just to line their own pockets) Remember months ago on these forums people were crying that they were losing money cause they haven't had the rift shipped yet? money money money. It makes the world go around yet is isn't sustainable as the populous grows because of greed. If a company cant make a profit then there would be no progress in tech,(you would all still be playing Atari or Nes)so don't even try to make out Oculus into this greedy corporation. Let them run with it as far as they can. Let them make money. Let there be RIFT...............