cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tired of the Rift cable tangling and twisting? Here is my solution

maxpare79
Trustee
Alright, my HMD cable did so much twisting and turning over the past few months that it was now full of kinks and it became harder and harder to untangle/untwist. So today I bought some 1/4" split loom tubing, it cost me 5$ for 50 feet and it works wonders. The cable now slides on the floor and stays in a beautiful shape.

It also protects it from children's feet and chair wheels 🙂 and it doesn't weight anything!

bomzvtf0lx3z.jpg

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
63 REPLIES 63

HornyyyHorn
Expert Protege
Art no. 501.034.06

This is a lamp and you have to mod it a little bit, of course... 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have my cable elevated about a foot above my head on a straight wooden stick that can flex a little.  This way the cord is not on the floor and I don't trip over it.   I also tape the cord to the upper back part of my computer so that I don't damage the computer parts that it is plugged into if I accidentally pull on the cord a little when using my Oculus Rift.  I also tape the cord to the middle back of my rift so that the cord wont damage the headset if it gets pulled on.   This works well for a roomscale vr game where I have to turn all the way around from time to time.  

When I am playing a game that mostly requires me to look only left, forward, and right, (VR Sports Challenge) I lower the cord all the way to the ground so that when I throw my hand forward it does not hit the cord.  I don't really need the cord elevated above my head for the movement in this game.

For anyone not sure about the lamp thing, I'll let you know how it performs when I get one, that way there's no guessing. After all the guys who've actually used it are the ones recommending it!
@elboffor agree with you about that ugly thing 😉

EliteSPA
Superstar

Art no. 501.034.06

This is a lamp and you have to mod it a little bit, of course... 😉

Bought it! 

Thanks @HornyyyHorn
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

EliteSPA
Superstar
Arriving today! will report back when setup is finish!
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

Mace404 said:

Not if you tug the cable to your belt for example. That also keeps the cable low so you have free hand movement.
I got one of those retractable dog leashes mounted on hip height in a corner of my play space and that solved all my cable issues.
(Had a habbit of standing on the cable while crouching in Dead and Buried for example. If you stand up again its *poof* gone is the Rift of your head. pretty immersive breaking :blush:)

Belt is the first thing to do, easy and free.

Any thing ceiling mounted is fine, if you are not worried about cosmetics.

kevink808
Superstar
I use an extra small (XS) Flexi retractable leash made for cats and dogs up to 18 lbs.  It's tiny and has a very light pull that you can barely feel.  Not much more than the cable laying on your back already.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

kevink808 said:

I use an extra small (XS) Flexi retractable leash made for cats and dogs up to 18 lbs.  It's tiny and has a very light pull that you can barely feel.  Not much more than the cable laying on your back already.

How does that work if the button is not engaged ; or does it retract by default like a tape measure and you hit the button to hold out the line?

Also on what part of the Rift would you attach it..the loop is pretty large : 

kevink808
Superstar
Yes, it retracts automatically. The button just locks the retraction, which I think is a pretty common feature for all the leashes I've owned. It actually comes with a pet collar insert that is a short strap with two D-rings, one on each end.  You can use that or just zip tie the latch on the cord.  Will snap a pic of it.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I bought 2 of the XS flexi leads last week to try.

The weight of the cable was too much for them and they didn't retract at all. 😕