cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensors - Upside Down or Rightside up

shadowrydr
Protege
Ok, real quick... Is it an issue to hang the sensors upside down from the ceiling that will cause tracking issues? 

Thanks for the reply. 
Cheers
Win10 64bit Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-
20 REPLIES 20

Greyman
Superstar
get a mount that allows you to mount them from the ceiling or high on a wall, but right side up.  It might not look as tidy, but if it works, it might be worthwhile/

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

Wildlyfe said:

Sensors upside down have always caused problems no matter how many 1, 2 ,3, 4. I currently have 4 and have tried upright and upside down multiple times with 1-4 sensors and the guardian boundaries shift as well as my whole view. It is practically unusable in the upside down config. It is a shame because I have a drop down ceiling with tiles and can run the wires where they cant be seen and the sensors fit perfectly tucked into a corner of the tile. It was part of the reason I went with the Rift because I seen everyone with them upside down. I wish Oculus would give you an option to check that your sensor is inverted it has to be a software fixable problem.

Dumb question but you did rerun calibration when you changed them to upside down?

xWandererx
Heroic Explorer
Running 2 both upsidedown without problems but I did do a full recalibration too

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
One right side up, one upside down here.  No problems.

SpiceLife72
Adventurer
There is no problem if you do a full recalibration.

Amphetamine
Adventurer
I was running 2 sensors with 1 inverted for a while until I found a better layout but in the time they were set-up I never had any problems. Always do a full recalibration when you move the sensors and you should be fine.

Maxxgold
Rising Star
Running all 3 of mine upside down, without any problems that I have noticed. There is the occasional glitch, but it is never anything that lasts very long. It would be nice if someone from Oculus would just let us know if there can be issues with mounting the sensors upside down though.

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
I have had some hell with upside down sensors.  ever since ive put them up.  Of course ive only calibrated the touch when I did it, maybe a full calibration would help?  I could be playing well within my zone then all of the sudden the hands drop to like 15 fps while the game is running fine.  also sometimes I will be centered in my play area and tracking will be fine except one spot of height that sometimes works and sometimes skips through.

saiboteggah
Honored Guest

I was running 2 sensors with 1 inverted for a while until I found a better layout but in the time they were set-up I never had any problems. Always do a full recalibration when you move the sensors and you should be fine.

So delighted to find this thread. Running Full Setup gives the user zero indication that it is doing anything more than what Reset Sensor Tracking does, tracking wise, but it is and my upside-down sensor setup needed it.

saiboteggah
Honored Guest
Here is more detail on what I experienced without doing full setup:

Using two ceiling-mounted, upside-down front sensors, I'd configure guardian space using touch controller and monitor. Some fraction of the time (less than 1/2, more than 1/5), the image of the sensors on the monitor would suddenly shift a bit, and the guardian space would be misplaced when I put the headset on. Otherwise, I'd put the headset on and look at the front sensors. A few seconds later, the whole space would shift to the right (always right) about a foot. It would also rotate counterclockwise by a small angle (<15 degrees). The angle and the distance shifted had some variation, a few inches and maybe 10 degrees. Turn around to face the back, and after a few seconds, guardian space would shift back to roughly (but not exactly) its original position. Turn to face the front, wait a few seconds, guardian space shifts back to the right again. It tends to overshoot a little so if you do it several times the jumps get a bit larger. This is in the interface where you are setting your position within the guardian space by pressing the triggers, which displays the position of the sensors. Despite the fact that the space is jumping around, the rift is correctly displaying the position of the sensors the entire time (actually, it's up to a couple of inches off, but the error doesn't change as I change the direction I'm facing).

Once I tried doing the whole configuration without ever facing forward. I still got the jump to the right, but this time "right" was the opposite direction since I was facing the other way. When I turned to face forward, a few seconds later guardian space jumped left to its (approximate) original position.

I went through partial calibration ("Reset Sensor Tracking") a number of times, performing cold reboots, oculus reboots, swapping usb ports, usb driver property fiddling and other superstitious nonsense in an attempt to figure out how to get things working. The behavior was very consistent. I also swapped out each of the sensors with a third sensor in case of sensor failure. With a three sensor setup (third in the rear, as recommended, but on the left), the behavior was the same as far as where the guardian space jumped to but when it would jump was harder to predict.

After running Full Setup on the three-sensor setup, everything just works.